Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 12:31 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Please....take a deep breath. Read the posts. And again, sorry for the misunderstanings.
No sweat,
I supose I might owe you an apology myself, if I'da read thru the topic I would have seen where your sarcasm was made clear.

Glad I checked back after the video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 12:37 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,682 times
This there racism in America?

Absolutely.

However, it has gotten a lot better over the past 60+ years. America went from Shirley Temple tap dancing with a black man was too controversial to be shown in much of the United States to a black man with a very real shot at becoming President of the United States of America. How many people one this board were born at the time when the South and some states near the South still had "Whites Only" and "Colored Only", but now those same people are just middle-aged. I think the US has made fantastic progress in about two generations.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:39 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
How many people one this board were born at the time when the South and some states near the South still had "Whites Only" and "Colored Only", but now those same people are just middle-aged. I think the US has made fantastic progress in about two generations.
I actually remember when "separate but equal" vs "integration" was considered a legitimate topic for public debate.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:00 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
You're quite right...my apologies to all concerned. Sometimes things just get so 'nutty' you forget what seems like obvious 'spoofing', is actually REALITY for many people.

I DO have a sarcastic streak..and sarcasm, like vine-ripened fruit, just doesn't 'travel well'...

BTW..yes. of course, I DO think America is racist....not nearly as much as it was, but to some degree, yes. I ALSO think we acknowledge this, discuss it, and admit it. I also think there are a lot WORSE racist countries...but we don't hear about them, nor do they admit it, nor do they feel 'guilty' about it.
Racism by its very nature is a voluntary ignorance and inherently weak position. Trying to rob another of worth somehow gives them the illusion of superiority when in fact it only detracts from the real work that could produce merit abilities. It's a voluntary handicap.

Which makes it all the more ironic when blacks themselves participate in their own version of racism. I don't need their validation, it doesn't matter what they think of me personally since they never cared to know, but why should I choose to participate in their handicap? Same is true of any hate group. They aren't worthy of merits, so fall back on acting like criminals.

Racism or "other-ism" may be everywhere in some form or fashion, but its a true confession of feeling emasculated by virtue of anothers existance. There is israel and palestine. Solve that, we just might get somewhere as a civilization.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:02 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
sonrise as much as I hate to do it, I gotta give you reps.
:::mumbles bush lover::::

Old 06-14-2008, 01:06 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
sonrise as much as I hate to do it, I gotta give you reps.
:::mumbles bush lover::::
Back at, ya. Rep point that is. For the record, I'm not a fan of Bush at all. I just think he was the best of the worst. Same this year with McLame.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:59 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
I thought the video/segment was great. I would not go as far as to compare the racism in Europe and the racism in America and try to weigh where it is "the worst". Both places have different cultures, demographics, political and legal systems, and histories -- I would not expect a social problem like racism to replicate itself the same way in both places.

Most Europeans have a stronger "group/community" mentality than Americans do. We may be proud of our country in the name of patriotism...but we tend not to bond with our fellow citizens by second nature like the Europeans do. There are obvious advantages and disadvantages to that. If you look at the video, they clearly make a point of the fact that there are not a lot of Black people in Europe. Not only that (and the video did not say this), but they are often times 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation Black Europeans. It is not like here where Black people have been in the country for many generations.

I think it is interesting to look at Europe to see how racism manifests itself there; however I don't see how you can really compare the two societies. As for stadiums full of fans shouting racial slurs at you, it must be devastating. However it is also devastating to have a stadium full of fans cheering for you and praising you; and then getting into your Mercedes to drive home and you get pulled over and harassed because you a Black man driving a nice car.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:11 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
I thought the video/segment was great. I would not go as far as to compare the racism in Europe and the racism in America and try to weigh where it is "the worst". Both places have different cultures, demographics, political and legal systems, and histories -- I would not expect a social problem like racism to replicate itself the same way in both places.

Most Europeans have a stronger "group/community" mentality than Americans do. We may be proud of our country in the name of patriotism...but we tend not to bond with our fellow citizens by second nature like the Europeans do. There are obvious advantages and disadvantages to that. If you look at the video, they clearly make a point of the fact that there are not a lot of Black people in Europe. Not only that (and the video did not say this), but they are often times 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation Black Europeans. It is not like here where Black people have been in the country for many generations.

I think it is interesting to look at Europe to see how racism manifests itself there; however I don't see how you can really compare the two societies. As for stadiums full of fans shouting racial slurs at you, it must be devastating. However it is also devastating to have a stadium full of fans cheering for you and praising you; and then getting into your Mercedes to drive home and you get pulled over and harassed because you a Black man driving a nice car.
Who did this happen to? Do you have the link to the news story? That's terrible. Thanks

Old 06-14-2008, 02:45 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Who did this happen to? Do you have the link to the news story? That's terrible. Thanks
Well I do not know of a specific Black athlete that has happened to -- I was speaking hypothetically. However there was Johnny Gammage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia where he was a cousin of one of the Pittsburgh Steelers (Ray Seals) who was driving Mr. Seals' car through the Brentwood/Baldwin-Whitehall area south of downtown Pittsburgh...which is notorious for having a police force that targets Black people for no reason...even before this incident.

Heck, there are two people in my family that ran into issues in this area. The first, is my father -- when he first came to this country, he didn't really know about the police profiling issue. It was in the early 80s and he drove a "suped-up" '73 Camaro SS (with all the bells & whistles). Purchased a newspaper from a gas station and got into his car and started reading it. Well, the station attendant was worried that he was going to rob the place and called the police. They came and started with the "Hey, what are you doing here"...etc., etc. Well my dad was confused but he agreed he would be on his way. The police then proceeded to follow him (seriously...he even made some odd turns) for as far as he could (borough limits). My dad then stopped and the cop stopped. It wasn't a good exchange and my dad ended up getting his car towed away basically.

The other incident was with a second-cousin who is a sociology professor at University of Pittsburgh (and a born-again Christian) who was driving through the area. Now physically...she is very imposing...she is about 6'4" tall and 300lbs (easy). They said she was speeding. She was reaching for her insurance...registration and what not and the police kept barking at her to keep her hands where he can see what she is reaching for. After she couldn't find her insurance card (and was nervous being that this cop was barking at her that he couldn't see what she was doing...she is huge) he had paged back-up and had her get out of the car and had 3 men come restrain her. She should absolutely no hostility because we know her....all her life....and she is a mouse of a person despite her size. She didn't even play sports in high school, because she simply wasn't aggressive enough. The police kept asking her what she was doing there and where was she from and what different bags were in her car. Thankfully they found the insurance card and that was the end of it. But it started out as a "speeding ticket" pull over.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:51 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,393 times
Quote:
Absolutely I think America is racist. It's not only racist, it's xenophobic, intolerant, vile, sexist, bigoted, evil, and just plain reprehensible. It also seems to have a particular hatred for Hispanics, and won't let them come here legally. It not only invaded Iraq, it's now causing the Iraqis to turn on EACH OTHER.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised anybody would want to come here at all. Just about any place on earth MUST be better than this. In fact, I don't think it's too big stretch to say America "really ought to be ASHAMED of itself".....and apparently, a large number of us ARE...and, of course, often, the rest of the world agrees. In fact, even Cuba, North Korea, and Libya, (not exactly 'paradises' themselves) recognize how bad America is. It would be wise for us to heed their criticism. They have much to say.
Why are you still residing here? I'd take a legal Hispanic, or any other nationality over you any day of the week, any month of the year.

And, by the way, I did go back and read through the whole thread. However, I will not recant my statement. First you blame it on replying in the vein you did by being a first poster, then you blame it on your computer for "locking up", then you say it was just sarcasm, silly you. Sorry, no I'm not sorry, you fubared your statement, sarcastic or not, and I for one really don't appreciate it. You only get one chance to make a decent impression. Your impression to me, if no one else, is very indecent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies