Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 06:50 PM

431 posts, read 393,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
Last night I was listening to the radio and they were talking about the new Government Id cards, and I wasn't listening very well apparently but I thought I heard them say that they would have a tracking device or a way to track where the card was, has any one heard, read or know anything about these cards? What they can or can't do, or will or won't do? If they are able to track the whereabouts of the card how do you feel about it? How much information are you willing to have on you about yourself that can be available to anyone that has a scanner or anyone that wants to be you. I would have preferred a retina scan or even a thumbprint, a lot harder to steal, for identification. If I sound ignorant about these cards its because I am. Opinions and knowledge would be welcome.
It's called the "Real ID" ~ passed by Congress back in 2005. It's one of the recommendations of 9/11 Commission. Each state will issue the card once you prove who you are. I thinks it's a great idea. (I have nothing to hide, though. Terrorists and illegals aliens do ~ so I can understand liberals not liking the idea.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 06:54 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Quote:
I thinks it's a great idea.
Ever read any Orwell?

Old 01-10-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Ever read any Orwell?

Yes, I did - in college. Lots of it. Still think the new ID cards are GREAT; unless, of course you have something to fear....I don't.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post
Yes, I did - in college. Lots of it. Still think the new ID cards are GREAT; unless, of course you have something to fear....I don't.
You should ask for a refund.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:05 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Never great to make generalisations --I carry my passport, always, and totally think an ID that serves multiple purposes can't hurt--and may help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post
It's called the "Real ID" ~ passed by Congress back in 2005. It's one of the recommendations of 9/11 Commission. Each state will issue the card once you prove who you are. I thinks it's a great idea. (I have nothing to hide, though. Terrorists and illegals aliens do ~ so I can understand liberals not liking the idea.)

Old 01-10-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
You should ask for a refund.
On the contrary, plaidmom. College exposed me to fiction and non-fiction in literature. I preferred non-fiction.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:12 PM

RFID=non fiction

Or, are you already chipped?

'Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither' - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by plaidmom; 01-10-2007 at 07:25 PM..

Old 01-10-2007, 07:24 PM

504 posts, read 1,764,209 times
I guess us liberals will leave them someplace. You conservatives can have your rights taken away. Silly argument, I too have nothing to hide, now I am wondering why we don't have a chip similar to the one I have for my dogs, just insert it under the skin and it gives the owners name, and phone number etc, so with people we could have the social security number, where they have lived and what they do, how many miles they drive to work, insurance companies and the tax assessor would love this, you would get taxed on how many miles you use the roads . Medical information, insurance companies would love this also, credit card numbers and a credit report, even better genetic history, driving record, oh what fun this would be. Just implant it please so I do not have to fill out an application or take a urine test or lie detector test, of course if I am Ceo of a big company all that will be waived. The doctor will say are you sure you want this child with your history I would recommend you reconsider and your insurance company may not cover the child. Don't laugh, this technology is available now, may-be you would like to volunteer for this? Already insurance companies are asking people if they would like, for a discount, to have them monitor how many miles they drive.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:16 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Google REAL ID. Its for real and May 2008 we will all have to have it. I fully support it too. I have nothing to hide from these United States.

I see it as a benefit for the future. Maybe it will help curb the illegal problem facing this nation.. you cant work unless you have this ID. You cant drive unless you have this ID.. you cant collect social benefits unless you have this ID. You cant be seen in a hospital without this ID. You cant attend an American College without this ID, rent a home, buy a home with out this ID. And we already have the check points up across the nation, you wont be able to travel inside the United States witout this ID.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:48 AM

185 posts, read 746,217 times
I agree it can help with our security as long as it can not be forged like what is being done with SS #'s right now and when issued a real background check is done to make sure of a persons citizenship status. ie: birth certificate and/or imigration paperwork & greencard. I don't want to be grandfathered in just because I'm here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies