U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 02:21 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,204,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You don't actually watch CNN, do you?

CNN is moderate at best. If there is a truly "left" news network on TV, I haven't seen it.

Check out CNN's Glenn Beck sometime. That guy is so right wing that he probably gives Pat Buchanan nightmares.
once while switching channels, happened upon Glenn Beck screaming about how we will have no blueberries in The US if we don't let more illegals in. It was actually comical. Ontheraod thanks for those sites. I too get info from the net. Would prefer that to the ranting talking heads we have a plethora of on primetime news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 02:22 PM

1,393 posts, read 871,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Neither.

Someone who wants to stay informed needs to get their information from lots of sources, not just rely on the one they feel reinforces their beliefs. That isn't information. That's just a solidification of cant.

If you really want to stay informed, you need to read righties, lefties, centrists, and anything around or between. Learn to read between the lines. Learn to think critically.
I didn't say this was the only way I get my news and information I just rather watch Fox. CNN I watch but, get bored pretty quickly. I most defiantly form my own opinion. Not like I'm brainwashed by Fox News.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:23 PM

11,586 posts, read 17,530,612 times
The mainstream media is dead. Glad you didn't mention ABCBSNBC, they've turning into a joke. CBS hiring of 'miss perky morning show' sealed it's doom.

I liked CNN but it's turned into 15 second sound bites, not real detailed unbiased news. I liked fox but got tired of watching half a day devoted to the Rosie/Donald dispute or to Britney wearing no panties at a nightclub.

Internet news sources are good - you can pick and choose what to read, get into more detail if you want, and get various opinions. Like anything however, don't believe what you read.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:34 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,481,783 times
Perhaps it is not widely known, but here is a list of who is owned by whom!

http://la.indymedia.org/news/2003/04/47530.php

It is fascinating how easily we can think we are receiving news or information from various sources but in fact, we are being offered information from the same people on a slightly different plate.

And, please pay particular attention to who owns CNN!

Old 01-10-2007, 03:06 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,852,565 times
Mark S. if you truly believe CNN is moderate, its absolutely fine with me.
Everytime I flip to the station, 75% of the time I hear troop pull out.
Someone said it, Ted Turner owns CNN. He is a pure liberal.
When Bush won re-election in 2004, CNN never counted Bush's electoral votes from
the state of Ohio, even after the election was hours over and decided.
Umm, has CNN ever talked about anything positive the United States is doing in Iraq?
Why? It's an effort to errode support of the war and believe everything is terrible in Iraq.
Hardcore liberals hate war.
If CNN does not change its left stance, it's rating will never get close to Fox News.
There is too much competition on the left.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:15 PM

597 posts, read 1,787,568 times
I enjoy Lou Dobbs and Hardball. I don't watch Fox as often because it's as slanted to the right as much as everyone claims the rest of the media to be to the left. I'm an independent and have views on both sides, but get annoyed when one source is blatantly slanted. Even though people say CNN is very liberal, I think most of the time they do a decent job at presenting a neutral position. It really just takes intelligence to see if a story is slanted, since no matter how hard people try, there spin is always put on an issue. You just have to recognize the true story and see through the BS, then we wouldn't be having the arguments about 'media bias'. Simple as that.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:18 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,852,565 times
I enjoy the show Hardball, but I have little respect for Lou Dobbs. I think he's a bully, he shows a very rough personality and tone on T.V. Not to mention, he's very monotone, everything he says sounds the same, it sounds like he has no enthusiasm. I believe he has a short fuse for differing opinions.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:20 PM

597 posts, read 1,787,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
If CNN does not change its left stance, it's rating will never get close to Fox News.
There is too much competition on the left.
In all honesty, Fox's ratings have been dropping off a lot lately. I think it's because a lot of people are tired of the war and most of those on Fox are solid Bush supporters. CNN's Glenn Beck has been doing quite well, and as someone stated earlier, he is pretty right-wing. He's entertaining on occasion, but his obsession about the apocalypse gets a little too dramatic at times for me. I will say that the presidential elections are another beast, but in terms of the average newsday, CNN presents both sides reasonably well.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:21 PM

985 posts, read 2,552,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
I do not rely on anybody on television at all without backing, I certainly do not depend on the likes of Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, or others of that ilk. I was told in high school, many many years ago to form your own opinion, and a good way to do that is to find someone credible that you agree with , someone credible that you do not agree with and form your own opinion, in other words listen to both sides.I hate to listen to someone I disagree with but I force myself too and once they were right.
Glen Beck will be excited you put him with Limbaugh and Hannity! He has come a long way! Have you ever really listened to him. I can take or leave the other 2. But Glen keeps you thinking he has alot of common sense about things. He is very funny and his show is not always about politics.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:26 PM

11,586 posts, read 17,530,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Perhaps it is not widely known, but here is a list of who is owned by whom!

http://la.indymedia.org/news/2003/04/47530.php

And, please pay particular attention to who owns CNN!
...and the ultimate of ironies, that link is in itself biased! Why list contributions to Bush and not the democratic candidate? Why not list Turner's contributions? Why not list CNN rather than the parent companies contributions?

Since your site won't do it I will quote another one that does.
http://www.capitaleye.org/mediacontribs.6.2.03.asp (broken link)
Time Warner, owner of CNN, gave $6 million in political contributions, 63% to the democrat party. Who owns CNN? I would say people that have a vested interest in getting democrats in office (although they seem to be hedging a bit).

I get your point however - a handful of conglamorates own all the media.

Last edited by Dd714; 01-10-2007 at 04:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or