Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 03:15 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I should elaborate. Look up to see the people who support things like fat taxes, outlawing junk food advertising, have given support to measures like Japan's weighing of its population, and so on.

I should also mention that I think the many of those workplace conduct rules are bulls--t. I've seen them violated quite often by the same people who made me sign the agreement. The impression I've always got is that it's there solely to save the company's ass from a lawsuit if some blatantly violates it.

I'll also add that I'm not a traditional Right-winger. In fact, the only thing that really labels me Right-wing is that I'm strongly supportive of the free market and I'm moderately supportive of an interventionist foreign policy. My beef is that harborlady seems to assume that only "right-wingers" are actively interfering with rights. Now, if someone can admit that the Left has its fair share of people who would interfere with how people treat their bodies, impose punitive measures on those that chose to live outside of their ideal lifestyle, and those who stifle speech whenever they have the power to do so; I wouldn't even be in this thread besides the single Hoffer quote.
I did criticize the left if you had read the thread through. Left seems to believe legislation can solve all things, which I know to be untrue. I'm glad they make an effort to level the playing field with commerce, but why is right going behind them undoing consumer protections all the time?

What is right really SAYING when they do that? That I don't have a need to know? That I'm a guinea pig? That as a consumer I ought to be more grateful to commerce for the opportunity to waste money or unintentionally harm myself from product defect? Why is the right so eager to see me squander money, then stand back and say caveat emptor when the information available was about marketing & not facts?
That's my beef.

Two sides to a contract issue; predictably right sides with commerce, left sides with consumers.

Whatever punitive measures left imposes on anyone- I have no idea what you're talking about. About the silliest version of their stuff I've seen (via joke email) was a product warning on superman costume- "the wearing of this costume does not enable you to fly".
Just be sure you understand it's a dynamic- written by lawyers of the right compensating for litigiousness/liabilities in mockery of left trends. That warning was silly, but it doesn't actually punish anyone. At worst it insults the intelligence & I've been called worse by better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 10:14 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
HAHA!!! Exactly!!! The left is in a CONSTANT state of this! You people live your whole lives in fear and disgust of other peoples actions.
What you're saying then is that the right doesn't regret anything, doesn't feel anything, and consequently doesn't LEARN anything. The right does what it does and doesn't care about the consequences. The left doesn't live in fear and disgust of your actions, but is genuinely concerned about the ramifications. The left actually feels the guilt of our collective actions. How is this a bad trait? It's called a conscience, something the right excised and replaced with self-righteous ignorance. You may dismiss the fact that your country tortures and kills people (no one on the right complains), but ultimately we all share in the responsibility and our just desserts will soon be delivered to our table. The left knows this, why doesn't the right? Or is ignorance bliss and that's why the right are "nicer" people?

Old 06-18-2008, 11:28 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Don't listen to the liberals - Right-wingers really are nicer people, latest research shows | Mail Online

Most surprising of all is reputable research showing those on the Left are more interested in money than Right-wingers.

...Left-wingers are more likely to rate 'high income' as an important factor in choosing a job, more likely to say 'after good health, money is the most important thing', and agree with the statement 'there are no right or wrong ways to make money'.

How is it possible that those who seem to renounce the money culture are more interested in money?

One might suggest those on the Left are simply being more honest when they answer such questions. The problem is that there is no evidence to support this.

Instead, I believe the results have more to do with the powerful appeal of progressive thinking.

Many on the Left apparently believe that espousing liberal ideals is a 'get out of jail free' card that inoculates them from the evils of the money culture.

Such progressives, sure that they are not overly interested in money and possessions, believe they are then free to acquire them.
I'd like a link to the actual study and methodology, or this holds little value. What was the sample size, for example? How were participants selected? How were the questions worded? Nothing can be taken at face value without questions like these being addressed.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:33 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
...Left-wingers are more likely to rate 'high income' as an important factor in choosing a job, more likely to say 'after good health, money is the most important thing', and agree with the statement 'there are no right or wrong ways to make money'.
I'm certainly not sure about the happiness part because as an old conservative codger myself, I've been known to throw the remote at the liberal meatheads at CNN and MSNBC. However, in terms of money, I am fairly sure that if I overlaid a map of salaries and incomes with a red and blue election map, the wealthiest areas of the nation would not coincide with the red areas. Hmmmm...

We are taught that Democrats are the "knuckles and wrenches" working class and Republicans are the "BMW and Mercedes" upper class. I suggest that Paul Simon understated the obvious when he sang, "When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school..."

Old 06-19-2008, 01:13 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,990 times
By just reading this thread and the threads from the Obama supporters and the Hillary supporters, you can see just how very nice the democrats are. Most of all, they are just as gracious as they are nice.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:58 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I'd like a link to the actual study and methodology, or this holds little value. What was the sample size, for example? How were participants selected? How were the questions worded? Nothing can be taken at face value without questions like these being addressed.
I couldn't agree more. I just posted it to start a conversation.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
What you're saying then is that the right doesn't regret anything, doesn't feel anything, and consequently doesn't LEARN anything. The right does what it does and doesn't care about the consequences.
Right. That's why most physicians, researchers, and engineers tend to be conservatives. They're all just a bunch of unreflective, incurious dummies.

Tell your dentist next time you're in the chair.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:06 AM

602 posts, read 1,962,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
[M]aking broad unfounded negative generalizations about half of America isn't very nice, is it?
And yet it's the coin of the realm here on CDF.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
And yet it's the coin of the realm here on CDF.
Will occidentals ever escape from duality?

Half of me says yes. The other half is not so sure.....

Old 06-19-2008, 09:14 AM

602 posts, read 1,962,766 times
Quote:
Will occidentals ever escape from duality?

Half of me says yes. The other half is not so sure.....
I was pointing out (or attempting to point out) the tarring-with-a-big-brush that conservatives get on these boards; we're ALL rage-addled cross-burning paint-throwing animal-oppressing clinic protesters, intent on bilking the poor and oppressing those of duskier skin than our own. Honestly, it's all been done to death. The hatred directed at conservatives because we supposedly are steeped in hate, the righteous indignation directed at us because we feel righteous indignation...I keep waiting for someone to show up with a valid claim on the moral high ground, but so far the horizon remains unpopulated, by anyone on either side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies