U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:04 AM

1,393 posts, read 871,083 times

Advertisements

Finally, while this might not seem fair, we can't ignore the historical associations with phrases like "white pride"... it doesn't give ME a sense of pride in my heritage, it merely makes my skin crawl. This is because it usually stands for hating anyone who isn't White, Aryan, blue-eyed, right-handed, or whatever else they deem as undesirable. The Swastika once had innocent meanings behind it, but can you help but think of N-azis every time you see it? [/quote]

I am not for this group at all but, what about Black Panthers, Muslims Brothers, Chicano Power all which call for the destruction of white people. You rarely see any Aryan Nation groups anymore since they have been banned in most states. But, it's okay for the Black Panthers to have the million man march and whites are suppose to see it as Blacks expressing there rights. I find this group very scary and offensive but, then I would be called racist. Go figure!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 11:07 AM

79 posts, read 256,686 times
you have got a very valid point

Old 01-11-2007, 11:10 AM

28,220 posts, read 43,497,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Where is this magical power everybody is talking about? I've never experienced it. I always hear about it, but who's really in power? Not the average white guy, that's for sure. Plus, last time I checked, almost any job you apply for, they would take a minority over an equally qualified white person, that is how we are living today. Minorities have as many opportunities, and more, than 99% of whites out there. Look at college admissions and any government jobs. As somebody had mentioned before, it's the rich who have an advantage in society, and yes a lot of them are white, but I think the statement of whites being in power is silly, because the whites in congress and the white house have never made my life better or easier because I'm white. That's how I see it anyway.
I don't mean any offense by this, but I don't think you can understand the benefits until you've experienced being a minority... you may not see any "tangible" evidence (like money & jobs), but white people are treated better for the most part. When was the last time somebody clutched their purse, just because you walked past them? Or how about the comment one of my black friends has gotten - "he's so smart and articulate, considering... well, you know."

And I guess when the government is a certain "shade", it implies this is the race that's in power. It might suck for the normal people, but unfortunately this is how society works.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:11 AM

5,080 posts, read 7,674,952 times
Are you White? Move to El Paso, and experiance being a minority gizmo.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:13 AM

1,701 posts, read 5,851,431 times
From what I'm hearing, the show has a very interesting plot. With that said, I would be very offended if I was a poor white folk. There is no need for racial connotations to have an audience enjoy the show.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
I am not for this group at all but, what about Black Panthers, Muslims Brothers, Chicano Power all which call for the destruction of white people. You rarely see any Aryan Nation groups anymore since they have been banned in most states. But, it's okay for the Black Panthers to have the million man march and whites are suppose to see it as Blacks expressing there rights. I find this group very scary and offensive but, then I would be called racist. Go figure!!!
I will never deny that... dangerous hate groups do exist from all races! But I was referring to the specific idea of "white pride", which has murder & extreme hate attached to it. The million man march was a civil and peaceful rally, for the most part, and wasn't exactly a march to kill all white people. Know what I mean? If you wanted to hold an "Irish pride march" (which they already do in many cities, like NYC), I'm sure nobody would complain... but when you label it WHITE pride, that's when it becomes iffy.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:16 AM

597 posts, read 1,787,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Precisely, I definitely don't support skinheads, but those groups are almost in non-existence because they have been banned or heavily prosecuted into shambles. But yes, what about the black panthers, Muslim brotherhood, Chicano power, these are all racist groups along the same lines but their rights are protected. This actually reminds me of a story where someone tried to get 'white pride' trademarked, but the patent office wouldn't allow him to do so because it was racially insensitive. This despite there being black pride, chicano pride, red pride, etc (all racist groups). The ACLU wouldn't even take the case, even if the guy was an idiot. Isn't that what th ACLU is supposed to protect? I think their true political views came out on that one. Regardless, I haven't heard a good argument against this being an incredible double standard...

Old 01-11-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Are you White? Move to El Paso, and experiance being a minority gizmo.
As I've mentioned before, my town is only SIX percent "caucasian"... so I'm already a minority in my city, not to mention my country, since I'm Jewish (only 2% of the population). I've never experienced discrimination here for being white, though I have felt anti-Semitism in many parts of the world.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Gizmo, you make excellent points, but I think you're missing out on what I'm trying to say. The points you make are the excuse that we have been using for the past few decades that say it is okay to say and do all these types of things to whites, but not to any other ethnic group.

We've basically been bringing up our kids to believe that whites are inherently bad because our ancestors had slaves (very few I might add, since most of our ancestors came after slavery) and took the land from the Indians. Because blacks were once slaves and had to live under Jim Crowe, it's okay to make fun of and disparage whites in this country because they are so bad.
I'm not saying that it's okay to treat us differently, just trying to explain why it is so... we can't erase or forget history, and I personally don't think we should, or it might happen again. "Yad Vashem" means "never forget" in Hebrew, and we use that to remind us of the Holocaust and other atrocities in history. Anyway, I'm getting off-topic here, but unfortunately we are forced to carry the burdens of our ancestors... and that goes for people of all races/nationalities.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:24 AM

1,701 posts, read 5,851,431 times
gizmo, what city in California do you reside in?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or