Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 02:37 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,852 times

Advertisements

I just read this article (dated today) on Iran, there's more going on here than our news is telling us. Possible attacks on Iran's nuclear facilities, this is something we really need right now with the Iraq mess we're already involved with.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/iran/2007012114200999000 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 03:32 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Jim, the link is coming up "unfound."

Old 01-21-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Jim, the link is coming up "unfound."
Thanks OTR for bringing that to my attention, I checked the link and found the problem... my bad. Try this one it works.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/iran/20070121142009990001 (broken link)

Old 01-22-2007, 12:17 AM

922 posts, read 1,908,618 times
Default possible attacks

Is that like possible pregnant? the bad, mad , bush was attacking Iran and the liberal news isnt reporting it? wow talk about a coverup! or is it a conspirousy?

Old 01-22-2007, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
Is that like possible pregnant? the bad, mad , bush was attacking Iran and the liberal news isnt reporting it? wow talk about a coverup! or is it a conspirousy?

Before the "Mad Scientist" leaves office in 08 we will be at war with Iran, like Iraq is not enough. And he will ride off into the sunset and leave the next President holding the bag.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:32 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Before the "Mad Scientist" leaves office in 08 we will be at war with Iran, like Iraq is not enough. And he will ride off into the sunset and leave the next President holding the bag.
You don't think Iran is pushing it to the point of war. That crazy whack wants the world to end and feels by pushing the U.S. in war will accomplish his sick agenda.

We really need to stop showing the world that it's all our President's fault. It's funny most in congress were for the war before they were against it.
What a way for most in congress to get out of don't blame me, now that it hasn't gone the way they thought they are pushing it off all onto the
President. They are all to blame they haven't even had a solution all I hear is change the strategy. Well, whats THE DEMOCRATS plan?

What we must look like to the other nations we are SOFT and they know it.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
You don't think Iran is pushing it to the point of war. That crazy whack wants the world to end and feels by pushing the U.S. in war will accomplish his sick agenda.

We really need to stop showing the world that it's all our President's fault. It's funny most in congress were for the war before they were against it.
What a way for most in congress to get out of don't blame me, now that it hasn't gone the way they thought they are pushing it off all onto the
President. They are all to blame they haven't even had a solution all I hear is change the strategy. Well, whats THE DEMOCRATS plan?

What we must look like to the other nations we are SOFT and they know it.

When you mix Iran's leader and our leader together, that's a good recipe for war. Bush called Iran " The axis of evil" and the man is evil no question about that. Our stupid pentagon tells the world that our military is stretched thin already because of Iraq.... what are these people thinking? I don't think Washington will ever change, their favorite past time is playing the "Blame Game". If the democrats can't come up with a better plan than we've had so far we're up the creek without a paddle.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:02 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
When you mix Iran's leader and our leader together, that's a good recipe for war. Bush called Iran " The axis of evil" and the man is evil no question about that. Our stupid pentagon tells the world that our military is stretched thin already because of Iraq.... what are these people thinking? I don't think Washington will ever change, their favorite past time is playing the "Blame Game". If the democrats can't come up with a better plan than we've had so far we're up the creek without a paddle.
Back in 2003, Iran actually (under a different, more moderate leader) offered to help us stabilize Iraq and we basically told them to howl at the moon. That shows me that it was part of our Middle East strategy to antagonize them all along. Ironically, that previous leader's "failure" to help the Iraq situation is what led to Ahmenijad getting elected.

Bush's foreign policy is nothing short of insane. No rhyme, no reason, except to foment endless conflict and endless war.

And as far as "What's the Democrats' plan?" Hey- this is a complete Republican botch job. This war has been in the necons' plans since before Day One. It's the Republican neocons like Cheney, Kagan, and Kristol that to this day continue to insist that they are all-knowing about Iraq and the rest of us "dirty effin hippies" are just terrorist-appeasing know-nothings, just like they have insisted from day one. When liberals rightfully pointed out from the beginning that this was a disaster waiting to happen, that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11, and that there were no WMDs except the leftovers that WE GAVE THEM, we were smeared and called traitorous. Now that it's played out exactly the way anyone who saw through the smokescreen thought it would, neocons now all of a sudden want to know what "our" plan is. Whatever.

Congratulations, all you neocons and their cheerleaders- you wanted it, you got it, and now you own it.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:13 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
I think Ahmadinejad is doing all he can to boost a failing goverment. Iranian society is beginning to protest and erupt as the economy gets worse and worse, there are few jobs, few ways to support one's family, conditions are getting worse, prices are rising sharply while incomes are dropping...it's a nasty mess.
Yet, Ahmadinejad tries to focus on the Great Satan (much like Hugo Chavez), to divert domestic eyes away from his and the Mullahs' failures as they place more and more unpopular restrictions on the average Iranian's daily life and freedoms.
The young adults/students in the universities are already rioting. Ahmadinejad was attacked by students at one of his appearances in a provincial city. His car was run into and damaged by things thrown at it from bystanders and he and his entourage had to flee to escape harm. The Mullahs and Ahmadinejad may find themselves suffering the fate of the late Shah.
I don't think Iran truly poses a real threat at this point. Even some of the Mullahs now are openly criticizing Ahmadinejad's handling of the nuke issue and steadfast rejections of both EU, UN, and U.S. efforts to open negotiations with him. His flagrant violations of UN resolutions and mocking continuance to continue the nuke program when he convinced the Europeans that he had stopped it finally backfired in UN sanctions. He says it makes no difference to Iran, but it makes a huge difference. Many internal voices think he's gone too far and that his actions have hurt Iran.
Most European and Asian banks have cut off credit now to Iran and Iranian importers for fear of being slapped with sanctions by the U.S. or European authorities. This has dried up the capital loans needed by the Iranian merchants shortterm to buy goods abroad and finance their purchases, so now they are going bankrupt and out of business. This is on top of what can only be called an economic depression.
The UN sanctions are working despite the efforts of China and Russia.
Going to war with Iran would be a folly and waste of time right now. The country is incredibly exposed to U.S. naval power from the Persian Gulf, Indian Ocean, and also the Eastern Mediterranean. If the U.S. wanted to deliver a devastating attack, it could at any time.
The country is also running out of oil and the ability to produce it. No major western companies are investing in Iran and providing the capital needed (hundred of millions of dollars- perhaps billions) to exploit new oil fields or even manage and maintain existing oil facilities. This means that production is dropping also because the facilities themselves are breaking down with time and use and not being repaired properly.
The smartest thing to do in my opinion is keep a sharp eye on them, allow them to break apart further, threaten the Russians and Chinese with retributions in their financial and trade areas for supplying the Iranians with war materials if they continue, and simply let the Iranian issue begin to resolve itself from within. The situation is intolerable domestically over the longterm and the U.S. faces no existenial threat from Iran.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:36 PM

271 posts, read 934,120 times
Attack on Iran won't happen IMO, due to the following reasons:

1. America can't afford another $100 Billion/year cost
2. Republicans can't afford any more negative war news
3. Elections occur soon in 2008...politicians have better things to do with their tax funded salaries, like raising $200 Million for upcoming elections!

10 to 1 that America doesn't attack Iran before 2008 elections. After 2008, it depends on which American Political Gang...uh I mean Party, wins...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies