Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 02:06 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
miamiman,

Nope, that's written the right way. Maybe you are reading it upside down.
I'm not sure that I am. Why should children be a pre-requisite to marriage? Many people view marriage as pre-requisite to having children. This allows children to grow up in a what ideally is a stable household, with parents who are completely committed to each other and their children.

If children were a pre-requisite to marriage, the rate of single-parenthood would be MUCH higher. There would also likely be a lot more men with children from different women.

How would this be good for society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 03:09 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Please do us a favor & not speak for God. There are many Christians who are offended that you would dare claim Christianity for your prejudice/ignorance. Remember that Episcopalians accept all human beings as God's children & one of their gay bishops recently wed his male partner. Lutheran bishops in California have informed the clergy to be discrete. United Church of Christ perform gay marriages. Scandinavia countries & Spain recognize gay marriage & these are countries with huge Christian populations [Lutheran & Catholic].

As a radical Christian/Baptist you have every right to profess your beliefs but never it you suggest that if is the Christian belief. You are way off, bro.
First of all, I don't care who got married to who,what, or when. Second, I don't even really consider myself a Christian. My beliefs are far from most of theirs. Radical Christian/Baptist in no way describes my feelings on God. Third of all, I never tried to speak for God. I spoke of nature's laws, not God's law. According to natural law, a creature couple consists of a male and female of the species. Thusly, the progress of creation and the sustaining of a species may continue. Maybe you should take a little time away from your sermons and read a few books yourself. But I recommend you start slow, maybe with some Dr. Seuss!

Old 06-20-2008, 03:49 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
reads2much- I will argue that point with you about natural law. Perhaps this is natures way of slowing down outrageous population growth?

I have no idea what makes someone gay, nor am I qualified to judge them, but the fact remains they exist. Whether god made them, or nature made them, makes no difference. They are our fellow human beings like it or not, and in america, all human beings have rights that are inalienable.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
reads2much- I will argue that point with you about natural law. Perhaps this is natures way of slowing down outrageous population growth?

I have no idea what makes someone gay, nor am I qualified to judge them, but the fact remains they exist. Whether god made them, or nature made them, makes no difference. They are our fellow human beings like it or not, and in america, all human beings have rights that are inalienable.
I'm sorry, but I don't buy that one. I think if nature wanted to do a little population control she would just cook up a nice virus or natural disaster. And I am not really trying to judge gay people, although I don't have to agree with them either. And I will always treat whomever I meet with grace and dignity as long as they do the same. I really strive not to discriminate against anyone based on their race, culture, sex, orientation, or creed. And I do believe they should have the same rights we do. That is to say the rights we possess from our man made laws. I just don't think homosexuality is truly natural. Maybe I am wrong. Who knows? And this statement was not meant to take anything away from yours. These are just my views, just as you have yours. You have a good one!

Old 06-20-2008, 04:49 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
So are you equating gay people and a virus?

Old 06-20-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
So are you equating gay people and a virus?
Not at all! I simply stated that I don't think homosexuality is an example of nature's defense mechanism. How you got what you just said is beyond me. I don't see how you could possibly bend my words into that. But to put it simply, the answer is no,

Old 06-20-2008, 06:31 PM

242 posts, read 193,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't buy that one. I think if nature wanted to do a little population control she would just cook up a nice virus or natural disaster. And I am not really trying to judge gay people, although I don't have to agree with them either. And I will always treat whomever I meet with grace and dignity as long as they do the same. I really strive not to discriminate against anyone based on their race, culture, sex, orientation, or creed. And I do believe they should have the same rights we do. That is to say the rights we possess from our man made laws. I just don't think homosexuality is truly natural. Maybe I am wrong. Who knows? And this statement was not meant to take anything away from yours. These are just my views, just as you have yours. You have a good one!

You are in no place to state whether or not homosexuality is natural. Your heterosexual assumptions are just that: assumptions, that is, groundless opinion. Perhaps you should try educating yourself and talking with a gay or lesbian, or at least thoroughly researching the complexity of sexual orientation, before you state what you "think." But I suppose that would counter your ignorance, which I'm sure you'd find intolerable.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:03 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
reads2much your benchmark for normal is whatever it is you are, but that really doesn't have bearing on the rest of the world. I don't believe what anti gay groups are convinced about- that being gay is a choice, or that being gay is a behavioral problem, a social experiment, or psychological defect for that matter. Whatever makes people attracted to another is an entirely subjective thing and cannot be regulated except where minors are involved.

You're right, you don't have to agree with it, but if you're wanting to understand it you can look at it this way. What appears to be unnatural to you only represents a part of nature. It's been going on since before recorded history, it goes beyond all cultural, races, classes, genders and religious bounds. Gays represent a % of the population everywhere on the planet, and their true numbers have been hidden for fear in many cultures.

The variation in our population is akin to fruit of another tree. Try as people may for centuries to cut down those trees, they just keep popping up just the same. Makes more sense to tend our own harvest than to chase after others, or complain about oranges when we love apples.

Mother nature makes some women barren, some men sterile, some people without maternal/paternal instinct, some are gay. None of these things are a threat to anyone wanting traditional lifestyle that's always been given tremendous advantages from society itself. Seems to me the backlash running in this entire thread is more about being offended by who is allowed to join an exclusive club. Like monty python- a spot moves in the neighborhood- and the whole neighborhood crumbles because of who moved in next door.

Reality is nothing changed for you and I other than letting go of yet another opportunity to impose the tyranny of the majority onto the individual. As americans, we truly never had that right to begin with if you think about it. America betrays it's own values every time it institutionally endorses discrimination against anyone for any reason. Our justice system is supposed to be blind to all things except crime and personal accountability. Our laws & rights apply to all citzens equally. Now we finally get to not be hypocrites IMO.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:32 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
harborlady,

This is perhaps the best post I've read on the subject.
Thank you.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:24 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
harborlady,

This is perhaps the best post I've read on the subject.
Thank you.
I agree, it was a good post. And reads2much, bummer! I kinda thought we were on the same mind set about things...I guess just not w/this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies