U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:21 PM

28,197 posts, read 47,592,879 times

Advertisements

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said Wednesday he opposes lifting a ban on new oil drilling in coastal waters, breaking with President Bush and Republican presidential candidate John McCain.

Schwarzenegger, who has endorsed McCain's presidential bid, said the federal offshore drilling ban was not to blame for soaring gas prices. A federal moratorium has been in place for 27 years.

PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 05:04 AM

3,853 posts, read 5,301,436 times
So, will Arnold give up his Hummer, hmmmm??

Old 06-19-2008, 05:20 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,348,324 times
Offshore drilling for oil or gas (or the Nantucket Sound wind farm) might spoil the views that the upper crust spent millions for and they might suffer a loss of property values if this view is spoiled. We cannot risk the wealth of the few for the benefit of the many. That would be un-American.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:24 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,906,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
So, will Arnold give up his Hummer, hmmmm??
Did he used to drive one? I bet he drives something else these days.
Regardless, he has no special need to support McCain, he'll never be campaigning for POTUS.

I salute his vision and wish our governor were the same.
Crist in 2006: "Even one accident related to oil and gas exploration or production could prove catastrophic, not only to the coastal resources that make Florida special, but also to our state's vital tourism and fishing industries For Florida, drilling in the Gulf of Mexico presents economic as well as environmental dangers," Crist wrote.

Crist this week:"I now support oil drilling off coast."

As if drilling off shore will make gas prices go down next month.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:36 AM

2,914 posts, read 4,251,991 times
Perhaps Ahnold is being a true governor, doing the will of his constituency rather than his own?

Old 06-19-2008, 07:08 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,906,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Perhaps Ahnold is being a true governor, doing the will of his constituency rather than his own?
I would certainly like to think so. And I know I should not be so cynical about his motivations. Just because my governor did a complete turnaround doesn't mean that Ahnold would do the same if he could.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:16 AM

3,350 posts, read 5,951,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Schwarzenegger, who has endorsed McCain's presidential bid, said the federal offshore drilling ban was not to blame for soaring gas prices.
He's right. Good for him. It's the season for politicians to pander, and it's nice to see he isn't doing it.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:20 AM

19,517 posts, read 20,889,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
He's right. Good for him. It's the season for politicians to pander, and it's nice to see he isn't doing it.
Aw -- he's just pandering to you and your fellow tree-huggers.

Zo -- you're all zmiles vit de gubernator. For now.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:25 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,759,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Did he used to drive one? I bet he drives something else these days.
Regardless, he has no special need to support McCain, he'll never be campaigning for POTUS.

I salute his vision and wish our governor were the same.
Crist in 2006: "Even one accident related to oil and gas exploration or production could prove catastrophic, not only to the coastal resources that make Florida special, but also to our state's vital tourism and fishing industries … For Florida, drilling in the Gulf of Mexico presents economic as well as environmental dangers," Crist wrote.

Crist this week:"I now support oil drilling off coast."

As if drilling off shore will make gas prices go down next month.
I agree completely, nice to see Crist throwing us all under the bus so he could maybe get a VP spot. This position is against everything that he has proposed and supported in the past and it's even more disappointing because it will have no effect on our gas prices now.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:30 AM

19,517 posts, read 20,889,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
I agree completely, nice to see Crist throwing us all under the bus so he could maybe get a VP spot. This position is against everything that he has proposed and supported in the past and it's even more disappointing because it will have no effect on our gas prices now.
Yes, but what about the future? Is it all now now now and just about us us us?

Think about our poor children. Buying ten dollar a gallon gas to put into their Chinese Chery cars, so they can go to a mexican restaurant and eat french fries made with potatoes imported from Sri Lanka.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies