Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 02:32 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
People make mistakes, misspellings and grammatical errors. That's just life. But there is no need to insult. Proving someone wrong is punishment enough.

Like your example above about a statement made "that half of black men are in jail" is incorrect. That does not sound mathematically feasible to me. I do not have data to dispute it, but I could probably find in a matter of minutes. I will stick my neck out and say it is patently false. The maker of the statement will try to defend it to the death and will call everyone names who disagrees.

I got into it the other day with a poster who started by saying"They impeached Nixon for less. And They tried to impeach Clinton for less than that (referring to Bush's acts). I said that his statements were patently false as Clinton was impeached and Nixon was not.

He responded by saying that others had the same problem with those statements and also said they were false. In his mind, Nixon was impeached and Clinton was not and the whole world was wrong. He went on to defend for three or four posts claiming he was right. I did not try to insult him. It ended peacefully, but there was no acrimony, no name calling, no accusations and no labeling.
I dunno bob, when people are going out of their way for maximum offensiveness and shock jock status, it's hard to let it by without mention. I have to remind myself often that not everyone posting is meaning to further ideas nor contribute meaningfully. It's not social retardation when they're doing it deliberately and I see no reason to waste precious patience on that. Trolls are in it for pot shot garbage, even if they do have reps on their side. Sucks but true.

I wish city data would rid themselves of that crowd, but that's not up to me. I'd hate to fill up my ignore feature because I really do mean to hear various views in this forum, but some mentalities just have nothing of merit to offer. I've given myself an arbitrary # of ignore people, and once I reach that quota, I think it will be time to move along. If there's a better way to deal, I haven't found it yet.

Now, as far as this impeachment issue, I've got a beef with you. Clinton was aquitted. His 'crime' had no bearing on his job. He owed his family an apology for being a moron- hardly high crimes and misdemeanors. Bush should have been impeached for his offenses manipulating information that was used to justify war endangering hundreds of thousands of lives. I hold you personally accountable for this.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:35 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Perhaps its because its an election year. As November draws nearer the more us vs them style political ads will be airing and the more defensive people will become.
I also see more strawmen arguments going around. The more ridiculous the better. And that is annoying, I don't care who you are.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:36 PM

389 posts, read 1,986,659 times
i agree with table.. this is just a forum. i was insulted and was called names but i just ignore it. we are all perfect strangers. ya i agree some people take those attacks seriously which is laughable. i come on here to relax and not be bothered by nonsensical attacks by total strangers who is waaaay off anyway on what they are attacking me for. i will say though that i like this forum coz so far.. i have never been banned.. i almost always get banned on forums or chatrooms i enter. but then again this is a mature forum run by mature moderators so i am not surprised. i generally cant be bothered by attacks/insults even IRL.. i honestly just don't care. especially i KNOW who i am first and foremost. total strangers can kiss my arse.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:37 PM

ohh that's it!! I'm reporting camping for over using a buzz word from media! everything is strawman now-- sheeeeshh

Old 06-19-2008, 02:44 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post

Now, as far as this impeachment issue, I've got a beef with you. Clinton was aquitted. His 'crime' had no bearing on his job. He owed his family an apology for being a moron- hardly high crimes and misdemeanors. Bush should have been impeached for his offenses manipulating information that was used to justify war endangering hundreds of thousands of lives. I hold you personally accountable for this.
This was thoroughly handled in the Dennis Kucinich thread. Nixon was not impeached. Clinton was impeached. It is historical fact.

Clinton was not removed by the Senate. He is still impeached. It is not about Bush. It has NOTHING to do with Bush. It has nothing to do with whether it had a bearing on his job. It is not about you having a beef with me. It is not about an acquittal. It is about a fact. A fact of impeachment.

If you get indicted for a crime and are later acquitted. You have been indicted. You are not convicted. You were still indicted.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:51 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
ohh that's it!! I'm reporting camping for over using a buzz word from media! everything is strawman now-- sheeeeshh
I don't even know what strawman means, please explain.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:52 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSer View Post
i come on here to relax and not be bothered by nonsensical attacks by total strangers who is waaaay off anyway on what they are attacking me for.
Oh my god, you come here to relax???? This forum drives me mad, MAD!!!!! I've debated just getting off of here permanently because it's so frustrating.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:52 PM

lol Too late!!! yer toast man!!

Oh, wait, my bad. I called you toast, or threatened to make toast, or... nevermind.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:53 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:

Oooh, let's see.....

caucus
obama surge
spin
100 years in Iraq
Rev Wright
BUZZ
Creating Buzz
Red state
Blue State
tax cuts for the rich

and last but not least

CHANGE

Hope that blood vessel in your head didn't burst yet, Harborlady! This is but a mild sampling of what is coming down the pike

Old 06-19-2008, 02:58 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,990 times
There was an awful lot of Obama supporters attacking Hillary supporters and vice versa. It was very nasty. Maybe since the battle is over, some of that is drifting back into the general board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies