Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:22 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,406,176 times

Advertisements

This is ridiculous! Has the school heard of freedom of expression? I think not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 05:45 PM

8 posts, read 10,333 times
Default I AM "Your" FLAG

In 1861, when they perceived their rights to be threatened, when those who would alter the nature of the government of their fathers were placed in charge, when threatened with change they could not accept, the mighty men of valor began to gather. A band of brothers, native to the Southern soil, they pledged themselves to a cause: the cause of defending family, fireside, and faith. Between the desolation of war and their homes they interposed their bodies and they chose me for their symbol.

I Am Their Flag

Their mothers, wives, and sweethearts took scissors and thimbles, needles and thread, and from silk or cotton or calico - whatever was the best they had - even from the fabric of their wedding dresses, they cut my pieces and stitched my seams.

I Am Their Flag.

On courthouse lawns, in picnic groves, at train stations across the South the men mustered and the women placed me in their hands. "Fight hard, win if possible, come back if you can; but, above all, maintain your honor. Here is your symbol," they said.

I Am Their Flag.

They flocked to the training grounds and the drill fields. They felt the wrenching sadness of leaving home. They endured sickness, loneliness, boredom, bad food, and poor quarters. They looked to me for inspiration.

I Am Their Flag.

I was at Sumter when they began in jubilation. I was at Big Bethel when the infantry fired its first volley. I smelled the gun smoke along Bull Run in Virginia and at Belmont along the Mississippi. I was in the debacle at Fort Donelson; I led Jackson up the Valley. For Seven Days I flapped in the turgid air of the James River bottoms as McClellan ran from before Richmond. Sidney Johnston died for me at Shiloh as would thousands of others whose graves are marked "Sine Nomine," - without a name - unknown.

I Am Their Flag.

With ammunition gone they defended me along the railroad bed at Manassas by throwing rocks. I saw the fields run red with blood at Sharpsburg. Brave men carried me across Doctor's Creek at Perryville. I saw the blue bodies cover Marye's Heights at Fredericksburg and the Gray ones fall like leaves in the Round Forest at Stones River.

I Am Their Flag.

I was a shroud for the body of Stonewall after Chancellorsville. Men ate rats and mule meat to keep me flying over Vicksburg. I tramped across the wheat field with Kemper and Armistead and Garnett at Gettysburg. I know the thrill of victory, the misery of defeat, the bloody cost of both.

I Am Their Flag.

When Longstreet broke the line at Chickamauga, I was in the lead. I was the last off Lookout Mountain. Men died to rescue me at Missionary Ridge. I was singed by the wildfire that burned to death the wounded in the Wilderness. I was shot to tatters in the Bloody Angle at Spotsylvania. I was in it all from Dalton to Peachtree Creek, and no worse place did I ever see than Kennesaw and New Hope Church. They planted me over the trenches at Petersburg and there I stayed for many long months.

I Am Their Flag.

I was rolled in blood at Franklin; I was stiff with ice at Nashville. Many good men bade me farewell at Sayler's Creek. When the end came at Appomattox, when the last Johnny Reb left Durham Station, many of them carried fragments of my fabric hidden on their bodies.[/SIZE][/font]

I Am Their Flag.

In the hard years of so-called "Reconstruction," in the difficulty and despair of years that slowly passed, the veterans, their wives and sons and daughters, they loved me. They kept alive the tales of valor and the legends of bravery. They passed them on to the grandchildren and they to their children, and so they were passed to you.

I Am Their Flag.

I have shrouded the bodies of heroes, I have been laved with the blood of martyrs, I am enshrined in the hearts of millions, living and dead. Salute me with affection and reverence. Keep undying devotion in your hearts. I am history. I am heritage, not hate. I am the inspiration of valor from the past.

I AM YOUR FLAG

Old 07-22-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A senior week "prank" that involved flying the Confederate flag in a public high school parking lot left three Minnesota students banned from walking with their fellow graduates at a commencement ceremony Wednesday night.

Seniors Dan Fredlin and Justin Thompson, both 18, and Joey Snyder, 17, were suspended and restricted from the diploma ceremony after arriving at John F. Kennedy High School in Bloomington, Minn., Tuesday with the flags affixed to their cars.

ABC News: Rebel Flag-Wavers Have Unlikely Backers
Try Heritage Legal Issues - Southern Legal Resource Center for legal help and the League of the South DixieNet.Org :: Official Website of the League of the South!. God Bless the South and her people.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:57 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,001,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A senior week "prank" that involved flying the Confederate flag in a public high school parking lot left three Minnesota students banned from walking with their fellow graduates at a commencement ceremony Wednesday night.

Seniors Dan Fredlin and Justin Thompson, both 18, and Joey Snyder, 17, were suspended and restricted from the diploma ceremony after arriving at John F. Kennedy High School in Bloomington, Minn., Tuesday with the flags affixed to their cars.

ABC News: Rebel Flag-Wavers Have Unlikely Backers
But did they still get their diplomas?

Old 07-22-2008, 06:09 PM

951 posts, read 3,701,175 times
If People from the North with no southern heritage wave the flag, yes I do think they are Racist.
White Southerners might what many claims here, just proud of their heritage, but my question is, how many of your black friends and neighbors wave the flag in their back yard?

Old 07-22-2008, 08:12 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,942,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
This is ridiculous! Has the school heard of freedom of expression? I think not.
Freedom of expression has limits, especially when such expression infringes on the health, safety and well being of others. Just because we have Freedom of Expression doesn't give anyone the right to walk up to someone and start shouting profanities at them.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:24 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,942,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadler's sweetie View Post
I dont think we should compare slavery and the confederate flag to what the Nazis did to the Jews and the swastika, Slavery was wrong, I don't condone it and their treatment was terrible, but the were not led into rooms by the masses and gased and burned to death, remember 6 million jews were brutally killed in the holocaust, its not even remotely the same. I believe these boys should be punished though they were obviously trying to start trouble. If they were supporting their southern heritage and had a flag on their truck everyday then no I dont think they should be punished but they apparently did it for this speciific day, Here in virginia in my county the school have a rule about wearing the confederate flag on there clothes in school but there are a lot of kids who display it on their cars. In fact I see quite a few trucks at the high school with large flags displayed in the truck beds that are there everyday. Slavery was not just confined to the south, There were a lot of Northerns who owned slaves too. I think the meaning of the confederate flag has been turned into something ugly, when men got together and decided to establish this flag I dont think they sat around and said lets make a flag that shows we own a bunch of slaves and we are racist. The flag was originally made as a battle flag, the flag that everyone thinks of when you say "rebel" flag is the one we are discussing and is just another version of the battle flag, which there are many different confederate flags. The flag was established to show separation from the states and that the south had formed there own union. That is what the true meaning behind the confederate flag is not some ugly racist symbol.
Slavery lasted pratically 300 years. Do you have any idea how many slaves died as a result of slavery OVER A 300 YEAR PERIOD! If you say that 6 million Jews died as a result of the Holocaust, I can assure you that far more slaves died over a 300 YEAR PERIOD.

Last edited by dorado0359; 07-22-2008 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: errpr

Old 07-22-2008, 08:38 PM

564 posts, read 890,905 times
This is ridiculous - Fire/discipline the principal, give immediate public apology to these kids and their parents.

The day I cannot fly a flag, especially one that has heritage to this country, is the day by far we are truly no longer free.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:25 AM

LINCOLN

“I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races”.

"If I could save the Union without freeing any slaves I would do it… what I do about slavery and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps save the Union”.

“We did not go to War to put down slavery, but to put the flag back, and to act differently, at this moment, would, I have no doubt, not only weaken our cause, but smack of bad faith”.

When asked “Why not let the South to go in peace”? Abe replied “I can’t let them go, who would pay for the Government”.

GRANT
"The sole object of this war is to restore the Union. Should I be convinced it has any other object, or that the Government designs using its soldiers to execute the wishes of the Abolitionists, I pledge to you my honor as a man and a soldier I would resign my commission and carry my sword to the other side”.[/SIZE]

SHERMAN

"I am honest in my belief that it is not fair to my men to count negros as equals. Let us capture negros, of course, and use them to the best advantage."

Last edited by southron_98; 08-06-2008 at 05:38 AM..

Old 08-06-2008, 05:40 AM

Default Frederick Douglas

"It is now pretty well established, that there are at the present moment many colored men in the Confederate army doing duty not only as cooks, servants and laborers, but as real soldiers, having muskets on their shoulders, and bullets in their pockets, ready to shoot down loyal troops, and do all that soldiers may to destroy the Federal Government".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies