Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 05:44 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
Reads2much... you don't read enough. Comparing the fear of an average american to the fear of a family in a 3rd world african nation who can't feed themselves nor protect themselves from rapists and murders in their own govt.. that's a joke. You should be ashamed of yourself. And be glad you won the hand.. you got lucky and were born here.. you did not earn it.. just like the babies dying of starvation in Africa didn't deserve nor earn their destiny.
Hey bud, why don't you take your closet imperialist attitude some where else. What is pathetic is you running around this thread acting holier than thou. All this time you have spent typing could have been spent helping people. Why don't you tell me when the last time you helped a homeless person on the street was. Or gave food to a local food bank. Its amazing how most people like you want to help everyone but those in need around you. And believe me, you have no clue how much of or what I read. But I can assure you it is far more than your average American. And the only thing I am ashamed of is the fact I actually took the time to respond to your recent post. There is nothing worse than a self-righteous poster upset they didn't get the response they wanted. And news flash, pretty much every suggestion you have made has been tried before. And they have failed before. And as far as being lucky to be born here, I would have been here without the European invasion. My people were already here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 05:58 PM

564 posts, read 815,211 times
Reads2much,

Take a breather.. and yes, I suggest you read one more book. Alan Greenspan's Age of Turbulence. Great read. You're an above average reader so it should be a breeze for you.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:29 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times
The majority of the world lives in those third world countries. The nations you keep mentioning, the US, France, Germany and Britain cannot stand up to the whole world.

Do you know how many muslims live on Earth? Over 1 billion (so I've heard). Do you think that many people will be cool with Western style democracies? What the two most powerful nations in Asia, N. Korea and China. I don't think we could take them on plus the rest of the non free world. I guarentee those two powerful nations will find fault with your plan.

Do you think Russia would be on our side?

Here is a better idea. Let governments run themselves, we can chill and do our thing and prosper. They starve and die. Sad, but the less we meddle the better off we are.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:48 PM

952 posts, read 942,121 times
Quote:
It's sad.. we are all humans. Yet we can't even agree on basics. Basic healthcare.. Basic food supply.. Basic freedoms like speech and press.. You people sit on your comfy couches and watch the tragedies that are Burma and Sudan and Zaire and sip on your beer. But remember.. you did not earn the right to be where you are. God put you there. And your pathetic excuses to not reach out and help other people is just that.. pathetic.

Yeah......but beach volleyball championships are on!

A major hurdle to rendering any meaningful assistance to the world's destitute, is the dearth of responsible governments on the planet (ex: Myanmar). Americans reach out and help frequently. Innumerable Aid agencies, both governmental and private, charities, organizations, churches, and private citizens donate much and often. Not often enough for some. We are hugely blessed in the U.S. and I'm certain most would assist even more if progress was evident. Instead, a dangerous and unsustainable increase in world population imperils all humans, vicious and corrupt "leaders" prey on their own, and as well, most, understand 'the poor will ALWAYS be with us'. Thus, many do what we can, and count our blessings, realizing: "For there; but for the Grace of God, go I."

HEY!....I missed The Simpsons! WTH

Old 06-19-2008, 07:09 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quite simply. "we" don't colonize because that period of history has simply passed, and it isn't coming back. The "colonizers" are now too 'caring' too 'cognizant of civil rights', and too 'guilty' to ever again 'colonize' anything...besides THAT, a "colony" actually implies that some of the "colonizers" would move there, 'take charge', and 'run things'. This is simply not going to happen ever again. "We" wouldn't want to, and 'they' wouldn't want us.

Much of it is simply the fact that cultures aren't compatible, yet culture is "everything". It can make 'doing things the hard way' seem sensible, as long as 'the hard way' is OUR way. That means maybe I don't WANT to be 'enlightened'.....maybe I'd prefer to do things MY way. Democracy, too, can seem very threatening, to those whose entire history is the "known evil' of despotic tyranny. It may not be 'fun', but it's what they know.

It's pretty apparent that Muslim women, to our western eyes, are 'oppressed' by their own menfolk. Why don't we 'just go over there and FREE them'?...because they don't WANT that kind of freedom. That's their culture and they don't want us 'helping' them in that way. I'm a Catholic, and live under 'rules'...but I don't want anyone kidnapping the Pope so I can be 'free' of his authority. I wouldn't appreciate that kind of 'help'.

Of course everyone wants 'good things'...but what does that really mean? Some places, a 'kind and compassionate ruler' is looked at as a 'plus'....but other folks would see him as a 'wimp'. They don't want a 'kind' ruler, they want a RUTHLESS one, to protect themselves from their neighbors and to 'look out for them'.

Silly subject, and completely out of the question. The questions and conflicts arising from "racism" alone would make any sort of attempt at colonizing completely impossible. In fact, the strong trend today is quite the OPPOSITE.. not toward 'centralization', but toward an ever-dispersing power structure, in which EVERY little 'pipsqueak' group demands its 'day in the sun'.....

Interesting subject, true enough...but more appropriate in the "Science Fiction" realm than the political.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:19 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Quote:
Reads2much,

Take a breather.. and yes, I suggest you read one more book. Alan Greenspan's Age of Turbulence. Great read. You're an above average reader so it should be a breeze for you.
Though I don't usually give much credence to personal memoirs, I may read it if it comes to mind next time I am at the book store. I don't want to come straight out and say "Yes, I will definitely read it" because there is always the chance I won't. But I appreciate the "heads up" on a possibly good book. Have a good evening.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:45 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
The age of colonialism ended when it became technologically feasible for non-Western guerilla armies to fight and defeat Western occupying armies (see Algeria, Vietnam, Mozambique, etc). Back when the natives only had spears, it was fairly easy for a small Western army to pacify the native population at minimal cost of blood or treasure. Today, a determined indigenous population can fight a technologically advanced occupying nation to a standstill until the occupiers lose interest and go home.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:50 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
No one colonizes anymore because a cool invention called an automatic rifle. It is very cheap and easy to make and can wreck havoc even on the largest and most powerful militaries in the world.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:03 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Simply because its a smaller & more PC world.
Its silly to say it wont happen again, I'm sure it will. But not until after we learn that we cant all get along. Its a noble fantasy we are engaged in but doomed to failure. Fact is the most peaceful times in history were during the reins of empires that colonized whatever they conquered. The 20th century saw the end of outright imperialism & colonialism, as well as millions upon millions of war dead.
Our enlightened PC peaceful cozy world kills more than any evil empire in history.

Personally I think we should just take over the mideast before someone else does. We pretty much fund it anyway.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:05 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
123, haven't we seen how well "colonizing" has worked over in Iraq for the past 5 years or so? It is quite arrogant for any of us over here in the good old USA to think that we should go to another country and impose any of our ways on them. If they want to become more westernized, more modern, they are free to do so. Maybe some will one day, but it is not our responsibility to create that world for them. The United States gives aid to other countries because we feel it is the right thing to do, and individual citizens can join groups such as the Peace Corps or donate money to various world relief agencies if they choose to do so.
But colonizing a third world country to try to make them better is just wrong.
You have said it well. The Brits tried to be mother to the less civilized world, look where it got them ! Most of the unrest in the world , we can blame on England. Everyone , please , get out your old dusty history books.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies