Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 04:51 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Okay, I do not want to debate one candidate over the other here - what I want to find out is this...

Since so many of us are disappointed in any of our current options for the upcoming presidental election, what one thing could a candidate promise that would convince you to actually vote for him (again, this is for current undecided voters)?

I'll go first...

The first one to promise to get around all the green speak and make domestic drilling for oil a major priority wins my vote. I am sick to death of our foreign dependence on oil and the way that Saudi Arabia is screwing us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 07:22 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
My number one priority is to "proclaim victory in Iraq" and bring our troops home. Stop spending money that we do not have on the Iraqis. They need to sort things out amongst themselves. They need to grow up and we need to learn to mind our business.

My second priority is a comprehensive, coherent energy policy that involves MORE than just drilling.

One question, though. How do we know that the oil we drill for on US soil is STAYING in the US? How do we "know" it won't be sold to the highest bidder on the international market? Private companies would be drilling; therefore, are they not entitled to sell the oil to whomever they want and at whatever price they can get? If they can only sell it in the US market, isn't that tantamount to "nationalizing" the oil?

I welcome any clarifications. Thank you.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:14 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Priority number one is to tell the truth no matter how awful it is and to not stand in its way. The truth has to be the dominant issue of the campaign and the presidency. The truth is the best tool to use to create a future.

And to lovesMountains, if your candidate promises to drill domestically, he or she will be out of office before you see one drop in your gas tank. In the mean time, what are you going to do for 8 years but complain? I don't think that's a wise voting strategy.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:06 PM

617 posts, read 2,072,967 times
I want a candidate who will cut the size of the federal government by 50% the first four years and then cut that by another 50% during the second term.

Less is more.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:34 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
I want a candidate who will restore our civil liberties.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:36 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
It doesn't matter who wins this election, America is going to be a far different place in 2012. Enjoy these "good" times while they last.

However, I am leaning Obama because we need an energy policy that invests in alternatives. Yes, I am for drilling, but drilling alone isn't going to solve our problems. Republicans seem to want to drill but dont care much for alternative energies. Democrats are opposite opposed to drilling but dreaming of alternative energies. Both sides to the aisle need to work together if our country is to survive the next decade.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:09 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
I want a candidate who will cut the size of the federal government by 50% the first four years and then cut that by another 50% during the second term.

Less is more.
This pretty much echoes my ideal candidate also.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:28 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
My number one priority is to "proclaim victory in Iraq" and bring our troops home. Stop spending money that we do not have on the Iraqis. They need to sort things out amongst themselves. They need to grow up and we need to learn to mind our business.

My second priority is a comprehensive, coherent energy policy that involves MORE than just drilling.

One question, though. How do we know that the oil we drill for on US soil is STAYING in the US? How do we "know" it won't be sold to the highest bidder on the international market? Private companies would be drilling; therefore, are they not entitled to sell the oil to whomever they want and at whatever price they can get? If they can only sell it in the US market, isn't that tantamount to "nationalizing" the oil?

I think you've summed up energy nicely, because all those issues affect the entire energy crisis equation. I'd like to see the level of encouragement via corporate welfare given to oil for 100 yrs be gifted to renewables projects wholesale. Oil companies bragging of profits are letting us know they don't need free money anymore. Renewables have always had to beg for scraps.

War- we need to force iraq into putting on it's own hat as a sovereign nation and get out of there. Fighting someone elses civil war is insane, and should be UN mission ONLY. Get the UN to pick up the duty.

threats to constitutional/bill of rights- erase every retarded thing they've been doing for 8 yrs that undermines checks and balances of power in favor of executive branch alone (at the expense of freedom). If the candidate isn't shutting down guantanamo bay attrocity, they aren't worthy of my vote. I want practical security measures and zero carte blanche for anyone.

Seems I want too much.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
It doesn't matter who wins this election, America is going to be a far different place in 2012. Enjoy these "good" times while they last.

However, I am leaning Obama because we need an energy policy that invests in alternatives. Yes, I am for drilling, but drilling alone isn't going to solve our problems. Republicans seem to want to drill but dont care much for alternative energies. Democrats are opposite opposed to drilling but dreaming of alternative energies. Both sides to the aisle need to work together if our country is to survive the next decade.
I agree about both sides working together, thanks for your thoughts!

Old 06-21-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post

Definitely - more than just drilling!!! Responsible use and awareness of the need for good conservation methods is also very necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies