Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:35 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times

Advertisements

I posted this same article to the Memphis forum; it's an interesting argument that probably carries some truth to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 10:11 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyorr9 View Post
fishmonger, I find your defense of section 8 "recipients", I guess is the word, commendable. However, for those locked in the cycle of intergenerational dependency, and do not wish to change or don't know how, what should be done about them?
Well... first you'd have to know how many of those that there are, find out why they're locked in the cycle, etc. Are most of the people who use public assistance for long periods of time in that situation because they can't find jobs, because they don't want to work, or because the jobs they could get would pay so little that it makes more economic sense to not have a job rather than risk losing benefits... It's hard for me to conceive that a very large number of people would prefer living long term on a bare-bones welfare budget to having a job that would lift them out of poverty. Surely there are some, but one would have to be careful in the creation of measures designed to "weed them out" as you could end up weeding out those who need not be weeded.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:03 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Unless they are elderly, disabled or can submit proof of having a temporary hardship (i.e. showing previous 1040 forms, proof of employment, ect..) then no one should be offered section 8 housing.
That is how the program works, you know? There are waiting lists for it too, sometimes very long ones. Temporary hardships don't get any help at all as result.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:03 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,618 times
There were a lot of these back in my hometown and I'd say 99.99% of them were just lazy bums who didn't want to work. The program definitely needs adjustments.
It's very unfair for people who do work and try to make their homes nice places, only to depreciate once the low-lifes move into their neighborhoods.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
arod, care to share some statistics to back up your allegation?
Yes, the program needs adjusting, and yes, I'm sick of the kids raising kids and the petty crime in my stateside neighborhood.
But 99.99% is simply untrue.

There are also more issues than the people who need help (for whatever reason)... a lot of section 8 housing is owned by slum lords.

Last edited by chielgirl; 06-24-2008 at 05:06 AM..

Old 06-24-2008, 05:03 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I didn't read the story, my eyes are tired but moving someone from a bad area to a better area doesn't help anyone unless they want to help themselves and i do believe it spreads crime.
Nomander said it best.
I for one think it's a great idea to spread it around some. Far too many have taken an "out of sight, out of mind" approach to crime and poverty, finding it far easier to simply retreat from it and pray it doesn't follow them.

Certain neighborhoods and even many inner-ring suburbs have been dumping grounds for the poor for too long. Neighborhoods that have been all but destroyed by previous public housing policy are not obliged to continue acting as magnets for the poor and criminally inclined so that everyone else can live in blissful ignorance of the problems of our society. If everyone had to have a taste of the problem, I bet cooperation toward finding solutions would be a lot more forthcoming than it has been.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:09 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Drover, I hear what you're saying, but....

Why do people who can't afford to take care of themselves keep breeding?
There comes a time when you're at the bottom of a hole that you simply stop digging that hole any deeper.

I'm not like most people on this planet. I feel that most people shouldn't breed.
I was sterilized at a young age because I didn't know what the future held for me and that children were not going to be part of it.
I just don't have the inclination, time, interest, selfless nature, etc. to be an effective parental unit.

I wish having children was NOT the default.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:31 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Well, having children is the default; nature saw to that. So we have to continue dealing with the fact that some people are going to have children they cannot afford.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:21 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well, having children is the default; nature saw to that. So we have to continue dealing with the fact that some people are going to have children they cannot afford.
Having children is an animal instinct, just like overeating when we know that we have no famines to fear. But the cure for that is a good upbringing by our parents and getting a good education which is both the school's and the parents' responsibility (not just the school's).

Well educated people have no problems with not breeding. And while there are educated fat people, at least they try not to eat bad foods and sugary drinks. For some reason, only in America are there fat poor people. Everywhere else in the world, poor people are actually skinny. It depends if fast food chains like McDonalds and Kentucky Fried Chicken has reached their cities.

Anyway, if poor people would develop their minds, they would have a better chance at breaking out of the cycles of poverty, overbreeding and poor eating habits. What humans have over the rest of the animals is our wonderful brain. And all people need to learn to use it. I think that the Asians were the first to recognize the power of the mind and to use it for self discipline purposes to raise the awareness and skill level of the user. On a very simple level, think of the tv show Kung Fu and all the Little Grasshopper advice he got as a youth.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:35 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
tin don't think liberals are all for welfare abusers, because they aren't. They agree that revisions are needed, but the only option conservatives offer is dissolution. I think a better plan can be devised, but just know that there are some in our society who just are dependants on it for life- they're ill.

Crime is motivated more by drug cultures. Drug cultures exist where addicts exist. Should that mean elderly get punished for what addicts do? Can you come up with a better plan to manage welfare? I'm listening.
What post have I made would dispute what you say? The problem with the system is simple. Its the same problem with all government programs. Lack of oversight and very poor or weak follow through. Too often those who are truely needy are turned down due to minor mistakes. To often those who are blatent abusers are ignored due to socalled lack of staffing. No the case workers are not held accountable for their job performance.
Case in point. Children and Youth services of PA... In the last year I can think of atleast 5 cases of children dieing due to abuse from their parents. Yes Children and youth had been called but they failed to investigate... IN the case of my own disabled daughter living with her mother no case number was assigned even though a med. Doctor was the one who made the complaint. No my daughter survived Thanks to me and a few great doctors. I use this example because it is typical of government sponsered programs. Section 8 is no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies