Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 09:00 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Many people can make the argument that the current crop of students growing into adults is one of the worst in recent times. I could think of two equally fitting names for it.

The self-gratification generation, and the entitlement generation (latter applies to many adults too). The future looks bleak because of this generation. When people have to start asking themselves what is right and what is wrong, then you know there are problems. Many people in this day and age will actually question the very basic morality that should be common sense to everyone.

It is no surprise to me then, that this generation is one of the most liberal generations (morally) than any generation before us. It is also one of the most Godless generations, where Church is a routine and not a lifestyle like during their grandparents time.

It only makes sense then to limit the activities of liberals, and destroy their "culture" that is ruining America, and ultimately the world.
Hmmm... And who do you think is responsible for raising this generation? The blame should go to them.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:53 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
It is no surprise to me then, that this generation is one of the most liberal generations (morally) than any generation before us. It is also one of the most Godless generations, where Church is a routine and not a lifestyle like during their grandparents time.

I agree. Most young people have a hatred for Christians and moral values never before seen in America. They think whatever feels good and is right in their own eyes is okay. There are no boundries anymore. Things today are normal, embraced, and celebrated that were looked down on by most as recently as the '90s (and people thought things were getting bad then). Anybody who has any moral values or says there is such a thing as right or wrong is hated, dispised, and loses all credibility. This is the result of the "Me" generation. The "I'm Special" programs taught in elementary schools where everybody is equal. This is the result of the little league programs where nobody kept score and everybody got a trophy because they didn't want to hurt the losers' feelings. The Yuppies of the 1980s didn't raise their children - they spoiled them and now we are reaping the consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Hmmm... And who do you think is responsible for raising this generation? The blame should go to them.
MTV.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:59 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,155,773 times
What is that noise you've got on your stereo? And get off my lawn!

Old 06-21-2008, 02:10 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
who the hell do you think taught this generation?
I think that baby boomers tried to teach them but they rejected much of that as the baby boomers did when their parents tried to do likewise. I am not knocking the baby boomers because I am one of them. But I think at that point we should have pushed harder at the establishment than we did. It was like we had this big liberal revolution in the late 60s and early 70s and then we kind of walked away from it after Veitnam and left it unfinished. The Millenials seem to be more intent on finishing the revolution that we started. They are not into things like gay bashing, racism, immigrant bashing, sexism and all the other "isms" that should be "wasms" and, unlike the those in the 70s and 80s, they intend to be make themselves heard. They already have in one big way by upsetting the apple cart for the Clintons and making Obama the nominee of the Democratic Party. My daughter, who will be in college in the fall, is very politically aware and active (not yet a citizen so she cannot vote). Much more so than we were in the latter 70s.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I agree. Most young people have a hatred for Christians and moral values never before seen in America. They think whatever feels good and is right in their own eyes is okay. There are no boundries anymore. Things today are normal, embraced, and celebrated that were looked down on by most as recently as the '90s (and people thought things were getting bad then). Anybody who has any moral values or says there is such a thing as right or wrong is hated, dispised, and loses all credibility. This is the result of the "Me" generation. The "I'm Special" programs taught in elementary schools where everybody is equal. This is the result of the little league programs where nobody kept score and everybody got a trophy because they didn't want to hurt the losers' feelings. The Yuppies of the 1980s didn't raise their children - they spoiled them and now we are reaping the consequences.
MTV.
Untrue. They just do not view Christianity in the same light as those before them. The truth is that more Millenials attend church than did baby boomers. But they do not subscribe to the "God is to be feared" and hell fire and brimstone stuff. They do not see the need to bash gays and try to convert others to Christianity through force and the law. And they keep score in the Little League and the winners get a bigger trophy than the losers. But everybody gets a trophy. It is not about hurting somebody's feelings but about letting every child know that their contribution was valued and that losing is OK sometimes. That is how it should be.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:35 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Default What would your granparents do?

I am 55 and believe my generation has been one of the worst. It appears many of the 60's & 70's generation is out of touch with reality.

We've done some good but overall our rating level is low. We've let money rule our lives and lost touch with doing the right thing.

My kids are of the current generation & I am so pleased with their conservative values, they work hard and are good citizens.

I'll be glad when the hippy generation passes the torch to todays kids. They will be our salvation.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:30 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Many people can make the argument that the current crop of students growing into adults is one of the worst in recent times. I could think of two equally fitting names for it.

The self-gratification generation, and the entitlement generation (latter applies to many adults too). The future looks bleak because of this generation. When people have to start asking themselves what is right and what is wrong, then you know there are problems. Many people in this day and age will actually question the very basic morality that should be common sense to everyone.

It only makes sense then to limit the activities of liberals, and destroy their "culture" that is ruining America, and ultimately the world.
I can't help but wonder why you cannot see that all the power to change is in the hands of your generation right now. So if you're unhappy with the world as it is, you can look in the mirror. If the future looks bleak in this country it's because your generation squandered more than it ever gave.

Not something your generation likes to do- be accountable for anything at all. Accountable for debts passed onto generations. Accountable for environmental inheritance issues. Accountable for abusing resources and hocking the family jewels to satisfy yourselves. Accountable for lack of values & holding money as higher worship above your families. Way too easy to pass the buck, point fingers elsewhere, and jump in your SUV for a quick escape from reality.

Our culture has been dominated since Reagan by reckless neo conservative arrogance & corruption. They aren't liberals, they aren't dems, and they certainly aren't republicans. Whatever damage is done on their watch is all theirs, and every single adult of your generation endorsing them. Blaming kids coming of age to vote is just another method to deny responsibility for the world you've sown. Worst part is you don't even know who you ought to be ashamed of, and likely never will, for a lifetime of denial is a powerful addictive force.

These kids are smart, they'll scrape everyone off their shoes and move on with their own lives seeing dead end BS and 'perverted morality' for what it really is- abused authority at the expense of the greater good.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:39 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I can't help but wonder why you cannot see that all the power to change is in the hands of your generation right now. So if you're unhappy with the world as it is, you can look in the mirror. If the future looks bleak in this country it's because your generation squandered more than it ever gave.

Not something your generation likes to do- be accountable for anything at all. Accountable for debts passed onto generations. Accountable for environmental inheritance issues. Accountable for abusing resources and hocking the family jewels to satisfy yourselves. Accountable for lack of values & holding money as higher worship above your families. Way too easy to pass the buck, point fingers elsewhere, and jump in your SUV for a quick escape from reality.

Our culture has been dominated since Reagan by reckless neo conservative arrogance & corruption. They aren't liberals, they aren't dems, and they certainly aren't republicans. Whatever damage is done on their watch is all theirs, and every single adult of your generation endorsing them. Blaming kids coming of age to vote is just another method to deny responsibility for the world you've sown. Worst part is you don't even know who you ought to be ashamed of, and likely never will, for a lifetime of denial is a powerful addictive force.

These kids are smart, they'll scrape everyone off their shoes and move on with their own lives seeing dead end BS and 'perverted morality' for what it really is- abused authority at the expense of the greater good.
I'm with you about 50%.

You place way to much blame on politicians and actors. The elitists who populate our institutions of higher learning and our creative hierarchies, who stifle dissent and balkanize our society are equally to blame for the irresponsible nature of contemporary culture, and for the squandering of the reservoir of optimism, good will, and disinterested curiosity which characterizes America at her best.

The 50%? You're right about the kids. They are both more open-minded and more "conservative" in the sense of being able to tell a load of hateful nihilist horse manure from an intelligent and courageous faith in the values which have made our country a continuing, hopeful experiment in democracy and human rights.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:51 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
One thing about today's kids...

There is the biggest gap betwen the educated & non-educated.

Hopefully the educated will win out over the the non's.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:43 PM

When I see pur college kids giving up their spring break to volunteer to help tornado victims and now their summer time to help with the floods (there are hundreds if not thousands of them there right now), that tells me more than anything could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies