U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 02:23 PM

13,140 posts, read 35,972,978 times

Advertisements

With all the problems in this county..i.e..Terrorist, Illegal Immigration, Threats from other countries (Iran, N.Korea, Venezuela etc), Drug Cartels, Aztlan movement etc..maybe the military should overthrow the government and allow a powerful General to straighten out this country.

Think if WW2 General Patton was alive and took over would this be a better country?

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 01-12-2007 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 02:26 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,893,647 times
I agree we need cleaning up, but if we went that far, it would destroy 231 years of our history as a constitutional republic and set a precedent in the future for military coups. That would be the end of America.
I think what would accomplish the same goals is for Americans to begin to get fed up and start to show it in organized ways. What we need are real leaders, but they need to be patriotic Americans who espouse our traditional values without being extremists. We also need the cooperation of the media and that isn't going to happen anytime soon I don't think.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:28 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,462,979 times
Harry, General Patton is re-incarnating into a pacifist After being himself, and Napoleon, he needs a rest! (lol).

Old 01-12-2007, 02:44 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,182,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
With all the problems in this county..i.e..Terrorist, Illegal Immigration, Threats from other countries (Iran, N.Korea, Venezuela etc), Drug Cartels,Aztlan movement etc..maybe the military should overthrow the government and allow a powerful General to straighten out this country.

Think if WW2 General Patton was alive and took over would this be a better country.
What, he'd take people who got out of line and slap em silly?

I don't know that even he would have wanted the job. Civilian control of the military is basic.

Even if you have a real bad cut on your head, tightening a tourniquet around your neck is a bad idea.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:46 PM

11,564 posts, read 17,496,164 times
That's a bit extreme. Maybe more than a bit.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:25 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,365,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Even if you have a real bad cut on your head, tightening a tourniquet around your neck is a bad idea.
I want that quote bronzed on the front of my desk, lol. Is that you, or did someone else say that?

Brilliant.

It completely describes the actions of the administration over the last few days. (maybe years?)

lol. I'm printing it out and taping it to my monitor.

-TT

Old 01-12-2007, 06:18 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,182,868 times
It has its origin in a funny picture I once saw in a book called "Steal This Book", by Abbie Hoffman. It had the caption, "if someone's bleeding from the head, do I put a tourniquet around his neck?"

Old 01-12-2007, 06:49 PM

2,161 posts, read 7,484,341 times
Harry o, many of the problems listed (Iran, North Korea, Venezuela) are themselves dictatorships of various flavors. Iran is basically a one party Islamic theocracy. North Korea has an absolute military-police state dictatorship. Our buddy Hugo Chavez in Venezuela is an elected leader who wants to be dictator so bad that he hands out oil profits to every special interest group that he can find to buy support. Why else is Venezuela so poverty ridden even today? I can't see how a dictatorship here would solve any of these other problems, largely stirred up by dictators elsewhere.

Ever experienced a true dictatorship by the way? In years past I visited former East Germany, former USSR and a bunch of the other former iron curtain countries that are now members of European Union and NATO. Those were miserable places then, which are exponentially better today with their people living in freedom. No more cloud hanging over, wondering if the secret police will pound on the door and haul them away because they made a politically incorrect statement. Dictatorships are the cause of many world problems, not the answer for world problems. Absolute power corrupts all else.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:33 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,663,299 times
Harry O, I dont think that will happen.. well Martial Law will, as soon as these different groups all bang heads. I see an uprising coming in this country. I think it will be started by raciest groups. Brown Berets, Black Pathers, Then the many Nazi type groups, all bumping heads. And then groups who are trying to help the nation like the Minute Men will get in the cross fire, many I think are armed and ready. And the growing number of citizens who are growing tired of the status quo, and the declining of our great nation will also rise up.. then the military we have left here will be asked to secure cities, but some will not and instead side with the people.. yeah I see this coming. We have outside threats, we have inside threats.. and it has already begun.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:00 PM

13,140 posts, read 35,972,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Harry o, many of the problems listed (Iran, North Korea, Venezuela) are themselves dictatorships of various flavors. Iran is basically a one party Islamic theocracy. North Korea has an absolute military-police state dictatorship. Our buddy Hugo Chavez in Venezuela is an elected leader who wants to be dictator so bad that he hands out oil profits to every special interest group that he can find to buy support. Why else is Venezuela so poverty ridden even today? I can't see how a dictatorship here would solve any of these other problems, largely stirred up by dictators elsewhere.

Ever experienced a true dictatorship by the way? In years past I visited former East Germany, former USSR and a bunch of the other former iron curtain countries that are now members of European Union and NATO. Those were miserable places then, which are exponentially better today with their people living in freedom. No more cloud hanging over, wondering if the secret police will pound on the door and haul them away because they made a politically incorrect statement. Dictatorships are the cause of many world problems, not the answer for world problems. Absolute power corrupts all else.
This was a good post Recycled...Anyway i asked the question Hypothetically...but i was thinking more along the lines of say...Napoleon....Yes this was back in the late 1700's early 1800's but he took over a country in total disaray with Guillotines going on all over France and crime, godlessness and even anarchy and even the Holy Roman Empire (austria/hungary) had plans to invade and take over etc...So A general (napoleon) assumes power and restores order and allows many freedoms to the French peoples and better way of life is assumed...At least until his Napoleonic Wars..

Anyway enjoy the discussions and thoughts on this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies