Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote here!
Good idea 15 31.91%
Good idea, but it'd never work 12 25.53%
Terrible idea, OP is on LSD 16 34.04%
Not sure 3 6.38%
I wouldn't pass the test, so... no. 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:00 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,760,585 times

Advertisements

*sigh* I like the idea of something like this...but...it does discriminate and we can't get away from that. And also, I don't like the idea of denying anyone this basic right even though it totally makes sense. I voted not sure...but in reality, I just don't feel right about it. Anyone seen the movie Idiocracy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 10:10 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Default Terrible idea, OP is on LSD

You left out the option:

Great Idea, OP is on Ecstasy

Old 06-23-2008, 10:25 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
If voters were educated then no one would vote. Why would anyone vote for the lessor of 2 evils? That sounds like an empty headed kinda thing to me.

How about when people love their hero candidate and that candidate can do no wrong. Then all the truth comes out and minds never change. The public discovers that a candidate is a racist for example. Dont matter. Heros never die to some voters.

The choices we all have now for president are a joke. Mere clowns. Bought and paid for robots. Yet come November millions and millions and millions of dummies will take time out from their busy lives to drive across town on their gas just to pull a silly little lever for a clown who will lie, cheat and steal from them. I call that brain dead.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:33 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,814,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
If voters were educated then no one would vote. Why would anyone vote for the lessor of 2 evils? That sounds like an empty headed kinda thing to me.

How about when people love their hero candidate and that candidate can do no wrong. Then all the truth comes out and minds never change. The public discovers that a candidate is a racist for example. Dont matter. Heros never die to some voters.

The choices we all have now for president are a joke. Mere clowns. Bought and paid for robots. Yet come November millions and millions and millions of dummies will take time out from their busy lives to drive across town on their gas just to pull a silly little lever for a clown who will lie, cheat and steal from them. I call that brain dead.
You vote for the one you hate less then. ONE of them is going to be president, so you might as well have the less hateful one get it.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:54 AM

329 posts, read 586,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
*sigh* I like the idea of something like this...but...it does discriminate and we can't get away from that. And also, I don't like the idea of denying anyone this basic right even though it totally makes sense. I voted not sure...but in reality, I just don't feel right about it. Anyone seen the movie Idiocracy?
I think you nailed it here. While an informed electorate is the best possible scenario for voters, its probably the worst for those seeking to get elected. Its simply much easier to win a popularity contest than it is to woo voters with substantive policy. But, a voter test makes me think of a poll tax. Really, voters will focus on whatever issue they choose, sometimes to the chagrine of the political junkie.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:56 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,857 times
As important a decision as it is to vote for our leaders, I don't think it's too much to ask of voters to understand the government that rules over them. If people had to pass a basic civics test (Who's your representative? What are the three branches of government? What is the electoral college? Name the members of the Supreme Court. What is the Fourth Amendment?), maybe we'd get people of substance leading our nation for a change, and maybe people would vote for reasons that aren't frivolous (who's wearing a flag pin on their lapel?) and knee-jerk (the person who votes because they hate Dems/Repubs).

Old 06-23-2008, 10:57 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

Wow. Good thing you live in a sunny climate. Otherwise you'd be down on America.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:59 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
Wasn't it Jefferson who said that "an informed electorate is necessary"? I guess I think that it would be a good idea if the CANDIDATES had to pass a test showing that they had at least a basic understanding of the constitution, the bill of rights, the balance of power, the world situation as it is today, and some understanding of basic economics. Too bad we can't make such a test retroactive.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:21 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
He may be concerned about the motives of those who would presume to define and perhaps clarify "what they are voting for" and what the motives of those definers and clarifiers might be.

I know I would be.
Exactly, and you know the questions would become a political football.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:21 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
We had a large discussion on this recently, some greats posts in it, some not so much..

But anyways, I don't think it would be fair to deny someone the right to vote based on their ability to pass an aptitude test. Sounds to me like an easy way to discriminate, and another ploy by the Democrats to weed out the voters they don't want. Being educated doesn't necessarily make you vote Democrat, in 2004 it was a perfect 49%-49% split among college graduates between Democrats and Republicans.

The "Educated" exerting power over the "Uneducated" is just as bad (worse?) than a rich man presiding over a poor man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies