Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you stand politically and do you agree with the courts decision?
Liberal - no death penalty for raping a child 25 23.58%
Liberal - pro death penalty for raping a child 19 17.92%
Conservative - no death penalty for raping a child 16 15.09%
Conservative - pro death penalty for raping a child. 46 43.40%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 10:33 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,188,930 times

Advertisements

i love my country (born here) but we have a justice problem. we were so revulsed by the cruel british law system we developed a lenient one. i think we have become more lenient not less. when will we hit bottom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 10:36 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,300,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
If we can't protect our children then we have failed as a society.

If someone raped my daughter and I knew they could not receive the death penalty I would absolutely 100% kill them before they went to prison.

Their life would not be worth the $.25 bullet I would use but justice would be served.
I agree!

Nicolem

Old 06-25-2008, 10:39 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,763,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
I used to think think this was true. My mother and grandmother were killed in a murder suicide and while the guy gave himself his own punishment I have an aunt who still does not believe in it. She say she wishes they would rot in prison for the rest of their lives. She seems to think that they are more miserable there than if they were killed. IDK I still think that the death penalty is a great tool for punishment. IMO.
ryne-sweetie....
I never heard this part of your history...... God bless you!! I just can't even fathom.... Lordy.... (((ryneone)))

Old 06-25-2008, 10:40 AM

564 posts, read 813,413 times
We need to bring back public whippings. We need to humiliate our criminals. We need to force the people in jail into hard manual labor. We need to make being a criminal not a fun experience. Heck, our jails are so dang cozy many people would rather be in jail than be at home.

Negative actions should have negative consequences.. like unprotected sex leading to a baby on accident is a negative action. The negative consequence should be go through the pain of labor and give it up for adoption. Instead the liberals give them a cop-out w/ abortion. Thus negative action and no negative consequence..thus the action will continue.

Same with taking out risky loans.. apparently the same now with raping a child.. this country's morals are falling apart at the hands of liberals and their inability to understand reality.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:00 AM

5,465 posts, read 12,207,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
The problem is people value life too much. A man or woman who rapes an innocent child has zero value as a human being. They lose the right to be a human being by commiting such a crime. Life is not a basic right we all get to enjoy forever.. consequence free. When someone destroys the life of a child by rape they lose that right to life.

That is liberals for you.. they want to bail everyone out.. consequence free. What?.. you had unprotected sex and it felt good and now you have a baby.. oh, just abort it. What?.. you took out a loan on a house you couldn't afford to keep up with the joneses.. oh, we'll bail you out. What?.. you don't want to work and would rather sit around and do drugs and drink.. oh, we'll increase the welfare system to help you out.

When are liberals going to realize that tough love is true love? A hand out.. a cop out.. a bail out.. may seem nice and fuzzy at the moment but they lead to long term harmful consequences for everyone involved.
You got it half right. It's not that people value life too much, but rather that they value a criminal's life too much. If there were value to life, then there wouldn't be crimes that damage or take it. The victims always get the short end of the stick because we must be "humane" to criminals whose actions are anything but. Human nature operates on the notion that one will get away with exactly what he thinks he can get away with. That's why eye for an eye works so well, and all this "rehab" and touchy, feely crap does not. The county up the road from me has prosecuted 26 homocides this month, which was the total amount for last YEAR. Reason? Less law enforcement, reduced sentences and punishment. General crime has gone up too because the law enforcement announced their budget slashes and that they would not pursue property thefts under 10K. So, criminals see they can get away with more and then do it. People simply will not risk their well being if they think the consequences of their actions outweigh the risk. And all around the board, they do not.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:03 AM

270 posts, read 569,565 times
you guys need to stop making this a "liberal" "conservative" thing,not just this issue but politics in general,they both dont care about you cant you see,Chris Rock has a joke about how being liberal or conservative the whole time is stupid,robot like,he said he was liberal when it came to prostitution,but conservative on crime.I think we should punish criminals in the same fashion they punish their victims,they rape get raped,they stab get stabbed,torture get tortured,I know thats not a possibility but could you imagine it might stop alot of idiots from doing dumb things,Oh and please dont compare these people to animals,thats an insult to animals everywhere...

Old 06-25-2008, 11:05 AM

824 posts, read 456,966 times
innocent people are still convicted our system is not fool proof. If you enjoy reading a good book read the innocent man by john Grishom it is a true story. I am not trying to change your minds about the death penalty. Just adding some info on it.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:09 AM

5,161 posts, read 11,410,247 times
I am opposed to the death penalty in any case. I favor life in prison - no parole.

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-25-2008, 11:14 AM

266 posts, read 704,291 times
unreal, if any crime deserves the death penalty its that one. how do these folks sleep at night, they are so out of touch with reality. what’s next from these nut jobs. i hope they have to suffer through something that will change their minds.

if i had my way there would be lots more prisoners dieing, and it wouldn’t be done with the costly lethal injection either. there is no justice in the world anymore

Old 06-25-2008, 11:14 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,441,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allylang1 View Post
innocent people are still convicted our system is not fool proof. If you enjoy reading a good book read the innocent man by john Grishom it is a true story. I am not trying to change your minds about the death penalty. Just adding some info on it.
Yep...most people in prison will tell you they're innocent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies