Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 04:57 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,284,822 times

Advertisements

I'm at the stage of my life, and in the kind of position, where a lot of people ask me for letters of recommendation.

I really enjoy writing them. Mine are candid and crystal-clear -- and yes, that means what you think it means. I write them that way because those are the kind I like to receive when I'm interviewing candidates for a position.

Young people who have given their best for me get my best in return when recommendation time comes around. My letters -- to put it bluntly -- kick ass. Those folks who have slacked off are usually smart enough not to ask for a letter, unless they think they've pulled one over on the old man. And they almost always think wrong...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 05:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,578,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
Right, because that is what I said. I said "we" the government receives more than enough money that taxes would not have to be INCREASED. Like many posters have said and what Obama and Mccain are saying. TAXES DO NOT NEED TO BE INCREASED. ONCE AGAIN TAXES DO NOT NEED TO BE INCREASED.
They should be eliminated. We could do without being taxed...no one needs a share of what money we DO make to live on.

Of course, I suppose if you make MORE than what you need to live on, you didn't "need" that money anyhow. So what does it matter?

Old 06-27-2008, 05:27 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,063,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
They should be eliminated. We could do without being taxed...no one needs a share of what money we DO make to live on.

Of course, I suppose if you make MORE than what you need to live on, you didn't "need" that money anyhow. So what does it matter?
Im not that much of an extremist. I just believe that the government should spend the money it receives better than it does now. What are we getting for our tax money? Nothing good. And we are heading towards a bad future if this type of government corruption and incompetence continues. It won't happen soon but could take several decades before things really start to crumble

Old 06-27-2008, 05:35 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,578,960 times
Quote:
Im not that much of an extremist. I just believe that the government should spend the money it receives better than it does now. What are we getting for our tax money? Nothing good. And we are heading towards a bad future if this type of government corruption and incompetence continues. It won't happen soon but could take several decades before things really start to crumble
How do you expect us to give them all a pay raise...if they don't raise our taxes?

Old 06-27-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
How do you expect us to give them all a pay raise...if they don't raise our taxes?
Well that's the problem. They would give themselves a pay raise either with the consent of the people or without. That's why our government is going to collapse and bring about revolution. The only question is it going to be violent or a non-violent one. I am not sure but with the way things are going, and with what history shows, it is going to be violent.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:47 PM

13,584 posts, read 21,356,616 times
1000................my goodness man Im not being dishonest I actually had a debate with Brits,Irish and Scots on another board and that is what some said to me and for the most I disagreed with them.

When ever I post my thoughts I do it flat out and don't beat around the bush.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:00 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,716,664 times
Quote:
Well that's the problem. They would give themselves a pay raise either with the consent of the people or without. That's why our government is going to collapse and bring about revolution. The only question is it going to be violent or a non-violent one. I am not sure but with the way things are going, and with what history shows, it is going to be violent.
You may not be aware of this, but their pay raises are automatic. Thats one of their little closed door deals cooked up many years back. It was passed
overwhelmengly by both parties. They really believe they are worth it, thats the funniest part of the story.
This is what happens when they think they are the ruling class not the serving class.
Did you also know they don't pay social security but have a gold plated retirement system with medical bennies that would choke a horse.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
You may not be aware of this, but their pay raises are automatic. Thats one of their little closed door deals cooked up many years back. It was passed
overwhelmengly by both parties. They really believe they are worth it, thats the funniest part of the story.
This is what happens when they think they are the ruling class not the serving class.
Did you also know they don't pay social security but have a gold plated retirement system with medical bennies that would choke a horse.
go on

Old 06-27-2008, 06:23 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,716,664 times
Quote:
go on
Yup

Old 06-27-2008, 07:24 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,651,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
If Obama gets elected and people who make over $250k (or whatever the # is) get taxed at 50% why work hard?

What's the point? We lose our incentive to work hard.

I think this is one of the defining liberal vs. conservative arguments and I'd love to hear the liberal side.
I lose $1 for every $3 I make now. I still work hard.

Yeah, I'd love to be taxed less. But here's the government's dirty little secret: They take in their revenue from taxing the middle class. The middle class is a LOT bigger than the upper class, which means there's more money to tax. All this "tax the rich" stuff is just a way to pander to people's prejudices and their sense of righteousness and revenge.

And frankly, if people keep insisting on having the government hold their hand and provide them with goods and services at every turn, it has to be paid for somehow. You can't keep expecting the government to fix everyhing but not pay for it. So if you're gonna complain about taxes, you'd better be complaining about the government's reach into our lives, too.

At least the Democrats seem to understand that you have to pay for government. Republicans just run up a tab for future generations.

For the record, I'd rather have fewer taxes and less government. I'm just saying that of the two major parties, at least the Dems seem to have some grasp on fiscal reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies