U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 07:34 PM

8 posts, read 4,671 times

Advertisements

As much as I love nature and support preserving natural habitat, it is now at the point where we need to do what is best for our citizens. Allowing the exploration and drilling of oil in and around our country will have many benefits. Drilling for oil and development of alternative fuels is not an either or proposition. I am tired of people making it sound that way. We can both drill now and research new fuels. I am also tired of the line "drilling for oil will not help us now". Nothing else will help us today. Everything is about tomorrow. If our so called leaders would announce to the world that we are going to start drilling, there would be a fairly immediate reduction in the price of oil, due to speculators. Speculators look at what is going to happen several years down the road. Knowing there will be more oil on the market several years down the road will reduce the price now. When the oil is available, the price will reduce even further. At the very least, more oil will stop or slow down future increases in pricing due to global demand. Demand is never going to go down. There are to many emerging markets that will need oil. We need to find as much as possible, as fast as possible. At the same time, we need to invent new fuel sources. It is possible to do both. The danger to the environment due to drilling is a scare tactic used on people. There have been no environmental accidents due to drilling in 40 years. Oil rigs in the gulf have withstood direct hits from hurricane after hurricane. The transportation of oil is where there is more likely to be an accident, but we are already transporting oil, just from other countries.

There is absolutely no reason why we cannot drill for our own oil and control our own destiny. We are sitting on the biggest known reserve in the world, plus all the oil we don't know about because we are not allowed to explore. We can be the world's biggest supplier of oil, rather than having to worry about purchasing it. If we are allowed to explore and drill for oil, thousands of jobs will be created. That is exactly what is needed in this economy. Jobs for the working class. We can start employing more people, which will help the economy and help the housing crisis.

There are so many positives to drilling, we can no longer close our eyes to it. Everyone needs to contact their local and state representatives and demand that we start taking control of our own destiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 08:23 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,050,141 times
They say drilling for oil will take 10 years (which it wont, 3-5 is more like it), well alternative energies will take decades to transition to. Alternative energies is the longterm solution, but these oil prices are a national emergency, and something needs done NOW. Even though we wouldn't see a barrel of oil for 3-5 years, speculators would know it is coming and therefore bring down the price.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:33 PM

242 posts, read 155,456 times
After gays secure marriage rights in all fifty states we will then turn our attention to the energy crisis. So, I'm looking ahead into the year.... I'd ballpark it and say.... about 2,257.... give or take a century.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:44 PM

1,486 posts, read 4,029,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHandDD View Post
There have been no environmental accidents due to drilling in 40 years.
Yea...all those oil spills have nothing to do with drilling oil.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodixieforme View Post
After gays secure marriage rights in all fifty states we will then turn our attention to the energy crisis. So, I'm looking ahead into the year.... I'd ballpark it and say.... about 2,257.... give or take a century.

What do gay rights have to do with needing more oil? What do I care about gay rights either way? I could not care less.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Yea...all those oil spills have nothing to do with drilling oil.

What oil spills? If it is from a ship carrying oil, what difference does it make if the ship carried it here from Canada or the Middle East or from the USA? Why not drill in our own country and eliminate a lot of the ships carrying the oil?

Old 06-26-2008, 08:49 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,926,038 times
Gay rights have nothing to do with it. I beleive the posters point was that the gov is quick to take action on these sensless non-issues like gay marriage but seem paralyzed when it comes to real issues like energy.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Gay rights have nothing to do with it. I beleive the posters point was that the gov is quick to take action on these sensless non-issues like gay marriage but seem paralyzed when it comes to real issues like energy.

Oh, okay. I agree with that. I am sure gay rights is important to a minority, but these fuel prices are a concern to the majority.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:08 PM

242 posts, read 155,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
That wasn't my point, and the issue is not "senseless" and unimportant. How can you be so insensitive?

However, I will concede that it's not a pressing issue to the majority of people, since it doesn't affect them.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:31 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,050,141 times
Gay marriage gets brought into every thread on this forum. Some people think thats the most important issue in this country, on both sides. This isn't 2004. What effects 5% of the people at the most is nowhere near as important as something that effects 100% of the people. In 2008, we have MUCH bigger fish to fry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies