Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 01:55 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyGWoods View Post
As evidenced by Joe Horn calling 911, telling the operator he was going to kill someone, then stepping outside to do just that. I know when I get afraid, the FIRST thing I do is run outside to confront my enemies.

...as long as you don't live in a neighborhood where the police don't show up unless someone has been shot. Because if you do, safety and security is a luxury that you obviously can't afford, even if you pay taxes for it. But other than that, hey!

Because I have a feeling the exoneration part wouldn't happen. Call it a hunch.
You apparently totally miss the point. My post was about the larger rationale for the law itself as written. Not whether Mr. Horn was justified (which I believe he was).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 02:00 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,447,879 times
Quote:
I'm black and live in east Dallas. The next time someone breaks into my car - and since cops don't seem to like coming down here, for some strange reason - can I shoot the thieves and be exonerated by a jury of my peers?

If you read and known the law as well as the "yahoo" then yes. I would be real clear of any intentions and also at least try and call the cops unless that's not an option. Your vehicle your land and your property are protected as long as you know them well. Don't forget a mistake on your part might be life or death.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
As evidenced by Joe Horn calling 911, telling the operator he was going to kill someone, then stepping outside to do just that. I know when I get afraid, the FIRST thing I do is run outside to confront my enemies.

...as long as you don't live in a neighborhood where the police don't show up unless someone has been shot. Because if you do, safety and security is a luxury that you obviously can't afford, even if you pay taxes for it. But other than that, hey!

Because I have a feeling the exoneration part wouldn't happen. Call it a hunch.
Your direction is disturbing.

Don't try and play the race card that was tried earlier and failed miserably.

This is about two criminals and a law abiding citizen.

If you want to let people get away with your stuff that's your right.

He didn't want to let them get away....maybe because being illegals they would never be found only to do it again the next night.....who knows....I'm not Mr. Horn and only he knows what is going through his mind. @ 72 maybe he's a bit ornery.

I don't know if you noticed but the cops didn't show up here fast enough either.....even more reason to stand up for your rights/property/life/family.....ect.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:12 PM

262 posts, read 486,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Don't try and play the race card that was tried earlier and failed miserably.
Where did I mention race in the quote you provided? And how did Horn know they were illegals? You're tipping your hand, hanky head.

By the way...what was the name of that black man who was found guilty of killing some guy who came with a GROUP of guys to beat up his son over some internet rumor? Maybe he should've waited for them to beat up the neighbor's kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
If you read and known the law as well as the "yahoo" then yes. I would be real clear of any intentions and also at least try and call the cops unless that's not an option.
Your faith in the law is...interesting, in an "aw-isn't-he-cute" kind of way.

Quote:
Your vehicle your land and your property are protected as long as you know them well. Don't forget a mistake on your part might be life or death.
A mistake like walking outside and waving a gun, maybe?

Old 07-01-2008, 02:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
No mistake on this one he meant what he said and they were the fools.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:34 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
Quote:
...You're tipping your hand, hanky head...

How condescending. Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Where did I mention race in the quote you provided? And how did Horn know they were illegals? You're tipping your hand, hanky head.

By the way...what was the name of that black man who was found guilty of killing some guy who came with a GROUP of guys to beat up his son over some internet rumor? Maybe he should've waited for them to beat up the neighbor's kid.

A mistake like walking outside and waving a gun, maybe?

Your intention are/were clear.....You wouldn't have stated you were black and can I get off?.....if not. This isn't a race issue again....Let's not make it one. I am not racist have no intentions of talking about race and am done with it as of now.

If you follow the law....Yes. And I have a feeling no matter what color you are if you kill someone defending your property in TX you'll be okay......IF YOU FOLLOW THE LAW.

Don't get me wrong no wants to kill anyone.....you do what you feel is best and let's just leave it at that.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:13 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,248,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Personally, I applaud the decision of the grand jury not to indict, and doesn't surprise me a bit to see a lot of hysterical reaction from the ilk which seem to instinctively have an aversion to believing that the right of self-defense encompases, as a concept, more than just your own person.

Redneck, redneck state, etc, etc, etc...ad nauseum. How original and insightful.

Texas law permits one to use deadly force to protect their property in some instances, and to protect a third parties as well. Thank God...as the right to be secure in one's property is an essence of classic freedom.

Yeah, maybe the guy made some errors in judgement, but he did not commit murder and broke no laws. Or maybe it is just that down here in Texas we still recognize who is the true lawbreaker.

Here is a good link of varying opinions on all the legal aspects and controversies from both angles:

2 burglars shot dead in Pasadena

As someone sorta alluded to earlier? Is breaking and entering and stealing property worth a human life? Well, guess the criminal has to make that decision, don't they?
giving you a standing ovation!!!!!!

You've definately stated truth, and in a most intellectual way...

Old 07-01-2008, 03:25 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,248,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecam222 View Post
A lot of surmising going on. I'm not a "liberal" and I have no nice feelings toward anyone who breaks the law. In fact, I'd love to pull the switch for the mass murderer whose killing spree included a child relative of mine or kick the ass of the guy who burgularized my house as I walked in on him, but I for one, follow the law. A lot of us would like to see justice our own way, but one person's justice is not always another person's justice, so that is why we have laws.
The law in Texas is the right to bear arms and protect oneself or others...it is common, for anyone, even you, to go on trial for murder...
If someone breaks into your home, before you kill him, you had better make sure, he means bodily harm...but if you wife kills him, and she can make certain, he meant bodily harm....she would get off easier,then you...that is the law here in upstate PA...

We also, didn't mention, that their homes there, are constantly being robbed...and perhaps by the same two guys? You don't go into Texas and walk on other people's property...Down there you have respect for the property of others...Justice was served...and oh, by the way, in that particular area it's known that the cops do not arrive on time, that is why burglers escape so easily.

It's time people get hard core again, so that criminals fear breaking the law...this proves there still is a consequence for actions.

If the cops had gotten there in time, and arrested them, they'd have been out robbing again and again, in a matter of 48 hours. And this time, they didn't have a weapon...but each time, they pull one off, it's easier and easier, therefore, they start getting braver and hit bigger homes...it would have only been a matter of time.

Oh and by the way,in the past 20 years or more, the laws have been dwindling, due to money hungry attorneys who get the bad guys off....our laws do nothing for us...they protect the criminals...not the victims.

Justice was served.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:48 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
isnt it the cops job to stop people? or to shoot? arent they the ones with the training? why do that yourself?

why have blood on your hands? is it really worth it? was it justified?

answer those questions people.

for me it wasnt.

and this nut case did act as cop, jury and judge or whatever.

he vetted his own sentence and punished them.

he did this. but you people DO AMAZE me, and not in a good way either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies