Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Killing Someone while Driving Drunk Murder?
Yes, it is murder 30 66.67%
No, it is not murder 11 24.44%
Undecided 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 05:46 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Did you read your own cite?

First we have -
Quote:
Murder is the unlawful killing, with malice aforethought, of another human being, and generally this state of mind distinguishes murder from other forms of unlawful homicide (such as manslaughter).
Followed up with explanations.

Quote:
with malice aforethought—originally malice aforethought carried its everyday meaning—a deliberate and premeditated killing of another motivated by ill will. Murder necessarily required that an appreciable time pass between the formation and execution of the intent to kill. The courts broadened the scope of murder by eliminating the requirement of actual premeditation and deliberation as well as true malice. All that was required for malice aforethought to exist is that the perpetrator act with one of the four states of mind that constitutes "malice."

The four states of mind recognized as constituting "malice" are:

Intent to kill,
Intent to inflict grievous bodily harm short of death,
Reckless indifference to an unjustifiably high risk to human life (sometimes described as an "abandoned and malignant heart"), or
Intent to commit a dangerous felony (the "felony-murder" doctrine).
Now, I said, Murder is murder, whether intentional or not. Now, if it wasn't intentional, BUT,
Quote:
Reckless indifference to an unjustifiably high risk to human life
which means that by your actions be they intentioned or not, if understood that by performing those actions circumstances could take place that the end result is loss of life, and you perform these actions ANYWAYS, it's murder.

So, by your own cite, you have re-enforced my statement.

Murder is murder, whether intentional or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 06:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I do not believe drunks are capable of understanding the "Reckless indifference to an unjustifiably high risk to human life" part. They do not see the risk of driving drunk so they just do it anyway.

I do not see that a drunk driver meets the criteria for Murder. I believe the proper charge would be manslaughter is someone died or reckless endangerment if there were, or not, injuries resulting from the crash. In the case of a death the responsible party should pay all the costs, including replacing the income of a head of family, to the injured party. I can see them becoming effectively enslaved to the people they injured but do not see any reason to jail them for being dumb.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:04 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
I think anyone who is DWI/DUI and kills anyone should have to do their states maximum term for manslaughter....that goes for in a boat,atv or anything mobile IMO.

It is one of only a few mandatory sentences I could fully support.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:36 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Yes. It means that knowing what alcohol does to your reflexes you are still willing to go out and kill someone just because you are too selfish to not drive or to have a designated driver.

Basically you make a conscious decision to risk killing people. In essence saying you are completely OK with that risk. That to me is at best attempted murder. Chosing to play Russian Roulette with the lives of other human beings. I will never see how we can excusethe behaviour of those losers simply because they are drunk and thus did not know better. It is like excusing a man for raping a woman because he was drunk and unable to tell the difference between right and wrong. That argument has never made sense to me.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:44 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
That argument should never work. It's the excuse of intoxication defense and it doesn't apply to voluntary intoxication IIRC.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:47 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I think anyone who is DWI/DUI and kills anyone should have to do their states maximum term for manslaughter....that goes for in a boat,atv or anything mobile IMO.

It is one of only a few mandatory sentences I could fully support.

What about people who fall asleep behind the wheel or don't look before making a turn or arent paying attention and run a red light and kills someone? What about people who are unhealthy and have a heart attack behind the wheel?

Old 12-22-2011, 07:50 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post

What about people who fall asleep behind the wheel or don't look before making a turn or arent paying attention and run a red light and kills someone? What about people who are unhealthy and have a heart attack behind the wheel?
Apples and oranges.

People can't make themselves have a heart attack or stop their heart attack.

People can certainly choose whether to drink and drive or not.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:25 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I do not believe drunks are capable of understanding the "Reckless indifference to an unjustifiably high risk to human life" part. They do not see the risk of driving drunk so they just do it anyway.

I do not see that a drunk driver meets the criteria for Murder. I believe the proper charge would be manslaughter is someone died or reckless endangerment if there were, or not, injuries resulting from the crash. In the case of a death the responsible party should pay all the costs, including replacing the income of a head of family, to the injured party. I can see them becoming effectively enslaved to the people they injured but do not see any reason to jail them for being dumb.
That would be mens rea.

Drunk drivers do not have a criminal intent.

Someone who enters a convenient store with the intention of stealing money and then shoots employees or patrons has formed the requisite intent for murder.

A drunk driver who gets behind the wheel of car has no intent of causing harm to others. Now, of course, there are exceptions. There are people who got behind the wheel and intentionally plowed their car into a crowd of people for the express purpose of causing injury and harm, but in most cases those persons are not under the influence of alcohol or drugs (although a few were).

It's also generally recognized that people who are mentally impaired cannot form a criminal intent. That's what insanity and temporary insanity are about, or things like the "Twinkie Defense" (no kidding -- a guy claimed eating Twinkies made him temporarily insane -- and the jury bought it -- that was San Fransisco of course).

I would never read rights to people under the influences of substances. I always did that later. To me it was incongruous to suggest that some has impaired judgment, but then their judgment is not so impaired as to understand their rights. If someone is so impaired they cannot operate a motor vehicle, then they aren't going to understand their rights.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:36 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,944 times
I'm responding to the "Thread Title"

Driving drunk is against the law .. Driving drunk "is not" murder

Driving drunk and killing someone with your car is murder.

Of course you don't have to be drunk to kill someone with your car ..

You can use any object you like to kill someone.

Sober people kill other people with their cars all the time ..

Texting, putting on your makeup, reading, eating, drinking a soda pop, failing to use a turn signal, speeding, going too slow .. and more .. can all kill people whilst behind the wheel.

It's not what you do, but rather, how you do what you do while driving that makes the difference here.

Is drunk driving murder?? .. um .. No it's not.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:48 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
If drunk driving is murder, then so must be any accident caused by, say... Talking on a cell phone, eating food, etc.
That's actually a good point, and one that I overlooked.

I'd argue in some ways that it's even worse to have killed someone as the result of driving while distracted. At least when one is distracted (and not drunk), they should, in theory, have all of their faculties to make the right decision -- and yet clearly engage in equally fatal and irresponsible behavior. In the case of a drunk, he's just making a decision while being incapacitated.

I think people want to throw the book at drunks because our society has a certain hostility to intoxication of any sort. And I guess I get that to a point. But yeah, seriously, are we going to give life sentences to someone who bent over to pick up a lost french fry or was changing his radio station and ended up killing the person in front of him? Is that murder, too?

No. Let's be rational about this. I understand that anger feels better, but rational thought ultimately produces fairer and more just results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies