Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 11:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Talk and act the fool: get treated like a fool. Even educated Black people usually look DOWN on "ebonics" because of ITS real bad rep. Sheesh!

The Vice Chancellor of Germany: he was adopted as a baby; raised "German" and he ain't even "white" but seems to have done well in life. He don't know who his bio parents were.
What in the hell are you talking about? You haven't done well enough in life to lecture black folks about anything, least of all language. We can talk to each other in whatever dialect we feel like using. I speak slang with MY people all the time, and that's none of your concern.

Your patronizing nonsense is slipping into arrogance...a position that you're in no position to be in.

Amazing how folks get on the internet and say silly sh*t that you wouldn't utter to people in person.

No matter how I talk and act (even if it was as a fool), you aren't about to treat me like a fool. Not YOU especially.

Some folks...I swear.

Now back to the topic.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:22 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
post the crime stats pre and poast. and no i dont
Blacks were being murdered left and right in the apartheid era-South Africa. Authorities at one time turned a blind eye when Blacks were subjected to violence(no matter who did it). However, when Blacks committed crimes against Whites, they were guaranteed to be in prison or get killed.

http://www.frontline.org.za/Files/PD...%20%285%29.pdf

If you read this further, it mentions how in many cases crime would not even be reported because of mistrust in the police. South Africa was safe for White people. Blacks were the main murder victims, and alot of the murders weren't even reported.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:46 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Wow some real misinformation on this thread about SA. Yes it was better under the white regime, even the poor black folk here say that. No the crimes were not as it is alluded to. Sure black on black had less attention as the areas they stayed in were ghettos and a cop (black or white) was not safe there esp at night.

Nowadays, the cops are so useless they will not even respond to a 911 type call as most of their vehicles are used as commuters and the station staff cannot go to a crime scene. Not to mention the number of incidences where they have been caught on camera fast asleep at the police stations, sometimes even with their gun on the desk.

So who is to blame for this incompetence, white people?

Apartheid was a Brit invention and the Afrikaners merely labelled it. It carries the same connotations of separate but equal that permeates the US culture even to this day. Under apartheid they had homelands heavily subsidised by the white government and were as autonomous as "white" SA. They had their own police and armed forces and governed their own. It also separated different tribal allegiances into their own areas which were for the most part their traditional homelands.

Even with townships, which served mostly to cater for migrant workers from the homelands, most whites had servants quarters where they were allowed to stay normally for free.

Today, whites have converted these quarters to apartments they now rent out. Sure black can stay amongst whites in the traditional white areas but very few have live in servants. They may have one come in once or twice a week.

So for the poor unskilled domestic worker and in many cases farm workers, they now have to commute, they lost the permanent jobs with free accommodation.

The only ones that have benefited from the new SA seems to be a few lucky card carrying party members placed in positions they are not qualified to occupy but have all the frills. Some have gone as far as making sure these and newly invented posts full of frills and perks that not even white workers back in the old days enjoyed. The roads suck, they owe the power utilities billions, everything is going backwards as they still seem to have the concept that the white man still runs the place. Well that part is true. We have a BEE system which demands a black partner with 51%. You have professional BEEs that become silent non contributing partners, the cost of tenders are escalated to cater for this "need" and the cost passed on ultimately to the consumer. W/o the whites working as contractors to these useless and usually corrupt black employees, the place would come to a standstill.

Where I once worked for the power utility, you had to walk on water before you got a car allowance. Nowadays, everyone has this judging by the beamers, audis and mercs they all seem to own. Back then only the PS manager and dept heads could afford beamers, the rest of us had to make do with pool cars for business trips and use the bus or commute at own expense in your own unsubsidised motor vehicle.

Meanwhile, the poor black has just gotten poorer under the lovely new regime. They are now urbanised and have commute expenses and they STILL mostly stay in the traditional townships. The govt built RDP houses and they get a 99 year lease which is nothing more than a guaranteed income for govt as they can never own the house "given" to them.

If I look at the USA, the blacks there had a head start of 30 odd years and there really is little noticeable difference to what I observe here.

Ghana got its independence in 1956. I was there and apart from some development in Accra, the rest of the country is pretty much as it was when the Brits left and in fact worse. They had sugar plantations, they had dairy farms. Now they import sugar and milk. You cannot get a milkshake there like one would in say SA or the USA.

To my knowledge, no Brit left the countries gaining independence with a scorched earth policy and yet they are unable to simply maintain that which they were left with when they took control.

In SA we have the govt buying back farms (tax money mainly paid by whites and white owned businesses called land redistribution) b/c some black claim of forefather ownership. Less than a year the house is stripped of all windows, roof sheeting, the farmlands back to fallow and the claimants moved off the farm as it cannot sustain them. This is the legacy of the black man in Africa. The govt would have done better paying the money to the black dude and leaving the white farmer to carry on, at least that way, jobs would not be lost to the poor unskilled blacks. Now the white farmer has relocated and is still living pretty while the black claimant is still pi$$ poor.

Here are the pics of what I am talking of:

This destruction took less than 4 years. ^^ THIS is the sad legacy of Africa post colonialism.

Now please tell us how this is the "white man's fault"?

Old 06-16-2013, 08:16 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Wow some real misinformation on this thread about SA. Yes it was better under the white regime, even the poor black folk here say that. No the crimes were not as it is alluded to. Sure black on black had less attention as the areas they stayed in were ghettos and a cop (black or white) was not safe there esp at night.

Nowadays, the cops are so useless they will not even respond to a 911 type call as most of their vehicles are used as commuters and the station staff cannot go to a crime scene. Not to mention the number of incidences where they have been caught on camera fast asleep at the police stations, sometimes even with their gun on the desk.

Apartheid was a Brit invention and the Afrikaners merely labelled it. It carries the same connotations of separate but equal that permeates the US culture even to this day. Under apartheid they had homelands heavily subsidised by the white government and were as autonomous as "white" SA. They had their own police and armed forces and governed their own. It also separated different tribal allegiances into their own areas which were for the most part their traditional homelands.

Even with townships, which served mostly to cater for migrant workers from the homelands, most whites had servants quarters where they were allowed to stay normally for free.

Today, whites have converted these quarters to apartments they now rent out. Sure black can stay amongst whites in the traditional white areas but very few have live in servants. They may have one come in once or twice a week.

So for the poor unskilled domestic worker and in many cases farm workers, they now have to commute, they lost the permanent jobs with free accommodation.

The only ones that have benefited from the new SA seems to be a few lucky card carrying party members placed in positions they are not qualified to occupy but have all the frills. Some have gone as far as making sure these and newly invented posts full of frills and perks that not even white workers back in the old days enjoyed. The roads suck, they owe the power utilities billions, everything is going backwards as they still seem to have the concept that the white man still runs the place. Well that part is true. We have a BEE system which demands a black partner with 51%. You have professional BEEs that become silent non contributing partners, the cost of tenders are escalated to cater for this "need" and the cost passed on ultimately to the consumer. W/o the whites working as contractors to these useless and usually corrupt black employees, the place would come to a standstill.

Where I once worked for the power utility, you had to walk on water before you got a car allowance. Nowadays, everyone has this judging by the beamers, audis and mercs they all seem to own. Back then only the PS manager and dept heads could afford beamers, the rest of us had to make do with pool cars for business trips and use the bus or commute at own expense in your own unsubsidised motor vehicle.

Meanwhile, the poor black has just gotten poorer under the lovely new regime. They are now urbanised and have commute expenses and they STILL mostly stay in the traditional townships. The govt built RDP houses and they get a 99 year lease which is nothing more than a guaranteed income for govt as they can never own the house "given" to them.

If I look at the USA, the blacks there had a head start of 30 odd years and there really is little noticeable difference to what I observe here.

Ghana got its independence in 1956. I was there and apart from some development in Accra, the rest of the country is pretty much as it was when the Brits left and in fact worse. They had sugar plantations, they had dairy farms. Now they import sugar and milk. You cannot get a milkshake there like one would in say SA or the USA.

To my knowledge, no Brit left the countries gaining independence with a scorched earth policy and yet they are unable to simply maintain that which they were left with when they took control.

In SA we have the govt buying back farms (tax money mainly paid by whites and white owned businesses called land redistribution) b/c some black claim of forefather ownership. Less than a year the house is stripped of all windows, roof sheeting, the farmlands back to fallow and the claimants moved off the farm as it cannot sustain them. This is the legacy of the black man in Africa. The govt would have done better paying the money to the black dude and leaving the white farmer to carry on, at least that way, jobs would not be lost to the poor unskilled blacks. Now the white farmer has relocated and is still living pretty while the black claimant is still pi$$ poor.

Here are the pics of what I am talking of:

This destruction took less than 4 years. ^^ THIS is the sad legacy of Africa post colonialism.

Now please tell us how this is the "white man's fault"?
Very true, keep in mind Ghana was specifically chosen by the Brits to become the the first black country to gain independence because it had about a quarter of the college graduates in all of Africa. If Ghana has performed mediocre post-independence then the rest of Africa probably has fared even worse.

My nearly 90 year old grandmother says during colonial rule she could walk to the corner and drop a letter in a mailbox for London. Not any more. I'm told the road between Accra and Kumasi is in such disrepair that some just resort to taking a plane. There is some good news though Ghana is issuing a billion dollar eurodollar bond that is being well received in London.

Honestly the reason IMHO why Black countries appear to be doomed to failure is because of what you alluded to, a couple of well connected Black leaders plunder the country for their own selfish needs. A culture of immediate gratification, your story about how the new Black managers pushing Audis is classic and rings true from my experience. They simply don't comprehend how this apparently small luxury adds up to ruin.

Last edited by EdwardA; 06-16-2013 at 08:25 AM..

Old 06-16-2013, 08:26 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post

You asked if the white man is at fault the answer is a resounding yes. Absolutely. Here's why.

On the eve of the African push for independence in the 1950's and early '60's, it should've became quite clear to the leadership in SA that Afrikaner whites could NEVER subjugate a population 5 times its size in perpetuity. They watched as one colonial power after another fell, and what did SA do? Oh yea...they decided to tighten the screws and hold on for dear life. Bad move. Actually, a disastrous move would be a better way to put it.

They should've seen the writing on the wall and agreed to SLOWLY begin to share power, and teach the natives of the land how to properly administer the country. Whites could've done so under far more favorable terms than they were forced to accept decades later, and SA wouldn't have the present malaise that it currently has.

But no...whites just couldn't imagine sharing power with blacks, even under the best possible terms.

So although I most certainly agree that you've got a problem on your hands now, it most certainly didn't have to be this way.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:32 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You asked if the white man is at fault the answer is a resounding yes. Absolutely. Here's why.

On the eve of the African push for independence in the 1950's and early '60's, it should've became quite clear to the leadership in SA that Afrikaner whites could NEVER subjugate a population 5 times its size in perpetuity. They watched as one colonial power after another fell, and what did SA do? Oh yea...they decided to tighten the screws and hold on for dear life. Bad move. Actually, a disastrous move would be a better way to put it.

They should've seen the writing on the wall and agreed to SLOWLY begin to share power, and teach the natives of the land how to properly administer the country. Whites could've done so under far more favorable terms than they were forced to accept decades later, and SA wouldn't have the present malaise that it currently has.

But no...whites just couldn't imagine sharing power with blacks, even under the best possible terms.

So although I most certainly agree that you've got a problem on your hands now, it most certainly didn't have to be this way.
The problem with this alternative universe is that this was being tried all through Africa and it wasn't working at the time. Also you neglect to account for the geopolitical realities on the ground. South Africa was increasingly encircled by countries falling into the hands of Marxists. One reason for maintaining apartheid was the fear of communist takeover if Blacks ruled. Not an irrational fear considering the ANC was unabashedly far to the Left.

One last thing where in the world is power shared? Power is taken not shared. From the perspective of the White person they built up a country for their benefit, Blacks need to do the same instead of begging Whites to share power. This is why I have begrudging respect for Mugabe.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:36 AM

Edward, I was born in Zambia and the climate there is no different to Ghana. We had dairy there and fresh milk delivered in bottles to our doorstep every morning. Cattle can adapt to severe temps if they are adequately watered, they flourish in Namibia which is ess desert. I wouldn't know for sure what was there in pre 56 but there were definitely signs of what we call kraals (keeps?) for cattle scattered over the countryside.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:51 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,122 times
Africa will always be considered a mess if we expect them to live by 1st world standards. I hate to say it, but without an outside influence, the people of Sub Sahara Africa will never be free now that we've introduced technology such as: Vehicles, guns and knowledge of their natural resources.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:07 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
What in the hell are you talking about? You haven't done well enough in life to lecture black folks about anything, least of all language. We can talk to each other in whatever dialect we feel like using. I speak slang with MY people all the time, and that's none of your concern.

Your patronizing nonsense is slipping into arrogance...a position that you're in no position to be in.

Amazing how folks get on the internet and say silly sh*t that you wouldn't utter to people in person.

No matter how I talk and act (even if it was as a fool), you aren't about to treat me like a fool. Not YOU especially.

Some folks...I swear.

Now back to the topic.
Was I talking about YOU? Please chill. You DON'T know me either so lets NOT play this crazy game of personal insults. For all I know; you might be some pasty white kid living with mom and dad.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:

I see you are pretty uninformed. Prior to independence we did transition with a new styled govt. representing Coloureds and Asians. Granted not black folk but they already had their homelands where they ruled supreme.

The point you obviously miss is now with blacks in charge, the farm I showed, clearly illustrates incompetence both from black leadership and black entrepreneurs. How is the destruction of that farm the white man's fault?

W/o the white man, that farm would not even existed in the first place. The govt paid the farmer for his land, he relocated started anew, is still rich and the claimant still pi$$ poor. This is one example of many. There are no exceptions or any success stories from these debacles. In Zim it is worse as they simple seize the land. These displaced white farmers are being offered land in Zambia and they are now returning fallow land to once prosperous farms and creating jobs.

So why can the black man NOT do the same? In Zim they leave their farms with a suitcase if they are lucky, all equipment remains behind yet no success stories there. Why is that? The "victims" of colonialism are all mostly dead now so the generation that should be able to do this cannot and they have had the full benefit of a Brit education.

You cannot blame the incompetence on black folk on the colonial whites. I grew up in Zim and see what they have done to that country in a mere 30 odd years. Everything just keeps going backwards and a repressed global economy simply exasperates an already dismal situation.

If the int community kept their grubby little paws off the region, we would have worked out our differences and over time would have been able to pass over the reigns to the new generations. I should have been an elder type person in the country having trained many but was denied that opportunity. The new kids on the block appear successful as they all have beamers and cell phones and whatnot but in reality have ZERO skills to perform the jobs they are appointed to. Kinda like putting lipstick on a pig or polishing a turd.

But I guess in your reality, it is all the white man's fault?

Guess which group has managed to adapt and survive this new regime?

Why is that?

It cannot simply be education as many have had equal opportunities in that regard for many many years. Oddly enough, they prefer attending the traditional white schools as that is where white teachers are still in the majority.

Why is that?

The situation is far more complex than simple racial divides. It does seem in the USA, the situation is similar.

BTW, I am pretty liberal in my outlook on life so no need to pigeon hole me with RWNJs. I really wish things were different but they are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies