Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:13 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times

Advertisements

So terrible, oh so terrible. However, I have noticed a stereotype of Christians automatically are anti gay rights. I am deeply Christian and I believe gays deserve every single right that straight people have. This is because as Christians, we believe God is love, so what makes Gay love any better than Straight love? I believe love is the presence of God in two people's hearts that attracts them to each other. Love is something man kind will never understand, so we shouldn't try to give it boundaries ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 11:37 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,410 times
Another question... If God gave man free will, why does one man try to take that God-given freedom away from another? Especially when that freedom does not spite him physically or financially?

Is it because certain men are trying to play the role of God... and assigning themselves a task that not even God sanctions?

Just a thought...

Old 07-04-2008, 04:52 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Go Ne, what I find unfortunate is that most christians on this board are filled with hatred for gay people.

It's nice to see that you feel differently.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:20 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
So terrible, oh so terrible. However, I have noticed a stereotype of Christians automatically are anti gay rights. I am deeply Christian and I believe gays deserve every single right that straight people have. This is because as Christians, we believe God is love, so what makes Gay love any better than Straight love? I believe love is the presence of God in two people's hearts that attracts them to each other. Love is something man kind will never understand, so we shouldn't try to give it boundaries ever.
God is a loving God, be He is also a just God. See Romans 1, 1 Corinthians 6, Leviticus 18:22. God does NOT view homosexual "love", which is really nothing but but beastly lust, in the same way as the love he sanctioned between one man, one woman, for life. Just because you believe it and it makes it feel good for you doesn't make it true according to the Scripture.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:15 AM

33,540 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
God is a loving God, be He is also a just God. See Romans 1, 1 Corinthians 6, Leviticus 18:22. God does NOT view homosexual "love", which is really nothing but but beastly lust, in the same way as the love he sanctioned between one man, one woman, for life. Just because you believe it and it makes it feel good for you doesn't make it true according to the Scripture.
I love how you state things as fact and not as your opinion...How the heck do you know what love is between gay people...Beastly lust indeed!

Old 07-04-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
But your God gave his "creations" free will. Further, all people do not have to live by this bible, nor do they have to interpret it the way you do. A God did not write the bible, men did. Trying to restrict freedoms based on your religion is a dangerous path. God also condemns divorce. Would you support a federal ban on divorce? Divorce would go down, but homicide would go up.

You need to look at it as if an extremist muslim was trying to take away your freedoms, and quit trying to rule over other people. You have no rational reason to hate gays the way you do.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:07 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
But your God gave his "creations" free will. Further, all people do not have to live by this bible, nor do they have to interpret it the way you do. A God did not write the bible, men did. Trying to restrict freedoms based on your religion is a dangerous path. God also condemns divorce. Would you support a federal ban on divorce? Divorce would go down, but homicide would go up.

You need to look at it as if an extremist muslim was trying to take away your freedoms, and quit trying to rule over other people. You have no rational reason to hate gays the way you do.
God does not condemn divorce of a spouse that adulterates.

Though I am using the Bible to clarify this. If you do not use the Bible, then by what means do you establish God's will? Is there some other document to which you hold to and is it written by man or God? I am interested to know is all.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
God does not condemn divorce of a spouse that adulterates.

Though I am using the Bible to clarify this. If you do not use the Bible, then by what means do you establish God's will? Is there some other document to which you hold to and is it written by man or God? I am interested to know is all.
I'm sorry if I led you on somehow, but I don't bow to any gods. But to answer your question:

Koran, Book of Mormon, etc... I mean the list could go on for days. The point of my post is you cannot establish EVERYONE's fate based on YOUR religious following. You cannot oppress a group of people just because YOUR religious doctrine condemns it. Chances are, there are 17 other doctrines that disagree with you. There are too many floating around to do that. I live in America so that I don't have to be persecuted and oppressed by religion. You should use your own brain to establish what is right and what is wrong, IMHO. Don't lean on the bible to uphold and condone something that is not right.Things change, times change, people change. You have to live your life and let other people live theirs.

I don't claim to study the bible, but could you guide me as to where I would find the information about god allowing divorce on the basis of adultery, please? Something just doesn't sound right about that. If god is about forgiveness, why would he condone something like that? See, some rules of the bible contradict the premises of god? Please help me understand that. Thank you.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:04 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
I'm sorry if I led you on somehow, but I don't bow to any gods. But to answer your question:

Koran, Book of Mormon, etc... I mean the list could go on for days. The point of my post is you cannot establish EVERYONE's fate based on YOUR religious following. You cannot oppress a group of people just because YOUR religious doctrine condemns it. Chances are, there are 17 other doctrines that disagree with you. There are too many floating around to do that. I live in America so that I don't have to be persecuted and oppressed by religion. You should use your own brain to establish what is right and what is wrong, IMHO. Don't lean on the bible to uphold and condone something that is not right.Things change, times change, people change. You have to live your life and let other people live theirs.

I don't claim to study the bible, but could you guide me as to where I would find the information about god allowing divorce on the basis of adultery, please? Something just doesn't sound right about that. If god is about forgiveness, why would he condone something like that? See, some rules of the bible contradict the premises of god? Please help me understand that. Thank you.
First, thank you for clarifying your position on your beliefs. While I understand that you establish your acceptance of any belief based on the precursor that it is all written and guided by mans hands, Christianity does not share that belief. We believe the bible to be the word of God, written in mans hand, but divinely inspired by God's guidance. So for us to deny his word is to deny him. Also, we do not condemn the person, but the sin. It is the sin we must not accept, condone or be a part of. For even acceptance to it, tolerance to its nature, is to sin ourselves.

As for divorce, there are references to it throughout the Bible. In the old testament it speaks of it in terms of the Laws God gave moses. There were conditions as to meeting it. You can find much of its old law reference to give you an understanding of God's laws in the various books there.

More properly, for Christ came to fulfill the laws is that we look to the new testament and its teachings. Christ speaks specifically on the matter as such in Matthew 5:31-32 concerning old law and his fulfillment to its purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 5:31-32
[31] It has been said, 'anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.' [32] But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteresses, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.
Now don't make the mistake that God has no problem with divorce, he meant it to be a lifetime commitment. It isn't supposed to be an option of disagreements. Many people today divorce for no valid reason and Jesus explains that they commit themselves to a lifetime of adultery (including those who they meet). Jesus was clarifying to the people due to the abuses that were being done with the laws.

Just like when he speaks of adultery of the heart, our true intentions are known to him and aside from aspects out of our control (as he explained), divorce is not an option. Hope that helped.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
First, thank you for clarifying your position on your beliefs. While I understand that you establish your acceptance of any belief based on the precursor that it is all written and guided by mans hands, Christianity does not share that belief. We believe the bible to be the word of God, written in mans hand, but divinely inspired by God's guidance. So for us to deny his word is to deny him. Also, we do not condemn the person, but the sin. It is the sin we must not accept, condone or be a part of. For even acceptance to it, tolerance to its nature, is to sin ourselves.

As for divorce, there are references to it throughout the Bible. In the old testament it speaks of it in terms of the Laws God gave moses. There were conditions as to meeting it. You can find much of its old law reference to give you an understanding of God's laws in the various books there.

More properly, for Christ came to fulfill the laws is that we look to the new testament and its teachings. Christ speaks specifically on the matter as such in Matthew 5:31-32 concerning old law and his fulfillment to its purpose.

Now don't make the mistake that God has no problem with divorce, he meant it to be a lifetime commitment. It isn't supposed to be an option of disagreements. Many people today divorce for no valid reason and Jesus explains that they commit themselves to a lifetime of adultery (including those who they meet). Jesus was clarifying to the people due to the abuses that were being done with the laws.

Just like when he speaks of adultery of the heart, our true intentions are known to him and aside from aspects out of our control (as he explained), divorce is not an option. Hope that helped.
Thank you for clarifying that. I appreciate you finding the verse too and not JUST giving your opinion.

Why would you put so much "faith" in the hands of other men, though? The bible is very clever in how it kind of forces a circular logic.

* The book was written by man, but inspired by God
* You must believe and follow this book or else you turn your back on God
* How do you know this? Because the men who wrote the book said so

That sounds to me like you're putting all of your faith in the integrity of the men who wrote it? Seems to me like they try to make it so that you cannot question the bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies