Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:28 AM

717 posts, read 773,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
But that gets to the heart of the issue from my point of view. I see many folks saying things are awful today and an economic mess, but they personally are doing pretty well.
The other issue is that 8 years ago the economy was not nearly as global as it is now. This is a world wide economic slowdown not just in the U.S..
It happens. I think our presence in Iraq is a gigantic factor on the Global economy. We have to get out of there asap or the downturn will continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 10:31 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Im better off but Bush and Republicans had nothing to do with it,neither did Democrats.

The only reason I'm better off is because the real estate market pumped up the value of my house and I sold it last year thank gawd.

I went from struggling to pay bills with no social life or even TV to escaping Miami and starting over.I also have no wife or kids.My life was pay a mortgage,pay for food,pay utilities and that's it.I never went out or anything in the end.

I was on the verge of mental collapse.My company cut our pay and told us sell more to make the same but more sales just couldn't make up for it.Getting a new job not speaking spanish would be a challenge.House insurance kept going up,wrecked my car and I had no savings account and so tapped on paying the inceasing insurance I wouldn't have been able to afford a car payment.The music scene sucked for a rock n roll guitar player.Selling and leaving Miami was a blessing.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:43 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The only reason I'm better off is because the real estate market pumped up the value of my house and I sold it last year thank gawd...

The music scene sucked for a rock n roll guitar player.Selling and leaving Miami was a blessing.
So you're better off because of using your own good judgment and taking responsibility for your life. You set an excellent example--

And, the music scene has tanked here in NJ too.

Whether because people just don't have the money to party, or more likely, the DWI laws as well as the smoking ban has hurt the scene.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:47 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Things have gone progressively for the worse w/ the economy in free-fall. People are staying home tomorrow-July 4th per Automobile Association. Less flights/less traffic. Times are just dandy for those who can afford any price for gas. The government recalculated that job loss in April/May was worse than originally thought by 52,000 more people unemployed [carpenters/truck drivers/Ford/GM/Chrysler workers being laid off in huge numbers].

The mood in America is frustration/impatience to hopeless [those struggling to pay rent/eviction.

Our reputation/USA in the world is also at its lowest in history.

This is a sorry time for our nation

Old 07-03-2008, 10:51 AM

717 posts, read 773,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Things have gone progressively for the worse w/ the economy in free-fall. People are staying home tomorrow-July 4th per Automobile Association. Less flights/less traffic. Times are just dandy for those who can afford any price for gas. The government recalculated that job loss in April/May was worse than originally thought by 52,000 more people unemployed [carpenters/truck drivers/Ford/GM/Chrysler workers being laid off in huge numbers].

The mood in America is frustration/impatience to hopeless [those struggling to pay rent/eviction.

Our reputation/USA in the world is also at its lowest in history.

This is a sorry time for our nation
Our reputation? Who cares about our reputation? I think we should be more worried about the other issues you talk about then our reputation.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:56 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times
And in my opinion, who cares about going away this weekend? That's people being responsible; gas is too expensive so they'll stay home...

Tough times are an opportunity to practice living within our means.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:27 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
So you're better off because of using your own good judgment and taking responsibility for your life. You set an excellent example--

And, the music scene has tanked here in NJ too.

Whether because people just don't have the money to party, or more likely, the DWI laws as well as the smoking ban has hurt the scene.
Actually the music scene in Miami regarding Rock n Roll has more to do with ethnic flavors than economic situations.Spanish music ,reggae and hiphop is abundant but for a Rocker like me the market dried up.In Tampa and Orlando the live rock scene is doing alright overall.

I have always taken care of myself and do what I need to do to pay my bills.But I was on the brink of just not being able to do it anymore in Miami and thankfully I sold my house,moved to a more afordable area plus one with nightlife more my style and Im debt free.

The person who has ever helped me with money that I asked for help is my dad when I needed dental work and a new fridge when times were so strapped for me I needed the help.A neighbor loaned me $400 for a water heater once also but I paid them back.

Thankfully I work to live now and don't live to work.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:06 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,739 times
Job-wise - not so...
education and knowledge - much better, umpteen-fold...
opinion of direction of nation - no so...
financial wise -so-so; a youngish couple here starting out; a turbulent time to come of age...
health-wise - tip-top shape thanks to our farm....
optimism of kids dealing with things to come during their generation - not so good, kind of scary...

(a few for you...)

Old 07-03-2008, 12:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I am better off but the government republican or democrat as nothing to do with it. In fact with them off-loading others debts on the Txa payers ;they can only harm the responsible person really.Doesn't look good putting all this debt on further generations to save a few irresponsible people now;since the governamnt has to borrow the money.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:27 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times
Much better, anyone who did not profit from the bubble was asleep at the switch or needs to educate themselves. Bubbles do not come along everyday, if you do not take advantage of them they will take advantage of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies