Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 04:29 PM

640 posts, read 1,822,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
There is something bigger and better than man and that is God and He is the only way and to whom I pray.
Sir, go find a religious forum to discuss general theology. The subject of this thread is that prayers that are conducted at the opening of meetings at the Miami Beach City Commission.

Use Google to find a warm and welcoming venue for your preaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
If the theory of evolution was taught as just that, a theory, it would only be laughable. Instead it is the last desperate straw that atheists cling to to make sense ofthe universe. Darwinism has come up quite short in the proof department over the past 150 years. No fossiles of intermediate species, no missing link, no explanation for how complex organs can come together 'randomly', no explanation for the cambian explosion. You don't have to believe in creationism but anyone who still thinks Darwin got it right is clinging to faith as much as any other religionist.
This is a real rathole, ain't it? The only connection to this forum I can think of is that we learned biology in the Miami-Dade public schools. I don't recall that much time was spent on anything related to evolution (although I did go to school when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and Florida was under water).

You are utterly ignorant abut the science of evolution, or what a scientific theory is. A scientific theory is not a guess; it is a well-established body of knowledge that explains natural phenomena. The atomic theory, gravity, and Newton's laws (yes, Newton's laws) are other examples of scientific theory. Science never deals in proof. You must have science confused with mathematics.

If you are a product of Miami-Dade schools, then I really have to wonder what they were teaching after I graduated. You need to learn what evolution is, what the claims are, what it's predictions have been, and what the results have been.

It's scientific, and logical, to say that not all questions have been answered, or are answerable. I know that's blasphemy to a fundamentalist, but such is life. All I can here on this forum is that your list of "problems" is false. I encourage you to do further research, if your mind is not too rigidly set to allow you to do so.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:43 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,773 times
I agree with noland123 and rogerbacon and Cougar Beach is living in a fanatsy land that allows him to attack people. He really should stop doing that.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Cougar, what if the OP just chose to sit down rather than participate. Would you find that acceptable? Pledge of Allegience should still be said in schools and Courts for that matter, if you don't call him God, then replace that with what ever you believe in. Wouldn't that be fair? Can't we make all involved happy?
Would you just sit down and listen quietly if someone were saying a prayer to Satan?

No, what you suggest would not be "fair", an you miss the point, which is that our constitution says that the government shall not establish a religion. It shall not favor any particular religion, even if a lot of people in the community subscribe to it. Judeo-Christianity is not the official religion of the local, state, or federal government. Aside from the fact that separation is the law, it has been shown by history to be a very good idea. The entanglement of government and religion leads to the corruption of both.

We can make all involved happy (except for the folks who take spiritual pleasure in forcing their religion down the throats of others at any opportunity) by not having religious ceremonies at government meetings. Why exactly is that such a big problem for some people? We spend a tiny fraction of our lives at government meeting. People can express their religion however they like for the 99.99% of their lives that they're not at government meetings.

I don't know if the insecure folks who need to, in public, impress others with their devotion understand that there are a lot of people around, including on Miami Beach, who are not Jewish or Christian. There are Hindus, Muslims, pagans, Humanists, atheists, and people will all kinds of New Age beliefs. The Christians who are in the majority and used to having the culture bend to their whims, are amazed that anyone would deign to push back. They have no empathy for the minority of people who don't share their beliefs (or those who will admit to it). At the slightest push-back, they yell "Repression!". It's truly laughable.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivere View Post
I agree with noland123 and rogerbacon and Cougar Beach is living in a fanatsy land that allows him to attack people. He really should stop doing that.
Thank you for your thoughtful contribution to the thread topic, which is the issue of religious prayers at the opening of Miami Beach Council meetings.

You are incredibly blind to attacks in the other direction, or the fact that people who don't share your beliefs also have rights.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I'm trying to understand what the big deal is here. If you don't want to pray don't, but why should that impose on the others who want to? Isn't that a double standard?
A I've already stated, the point is having prayers at a government meeting.

After having explained the issue at least five times, I'll leave it as an exercise to you to explain the problem. It has to do with the U.S. Constitution, and common courtesy, though.

Are you ready for the prayer to Satan invocation? I trust you agree that Satanists have the same rights under the law that Christians do.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivere View Post
Fine! No one take my advice! This is such an issue it should be delt with (blah blah blah). Make a mountian out of a mole hole. I cant convence you people.
You cannot convince anyone of anything without a cogent argument. Did you just think you could say, here's how it should be, and everyone would be blown away by your words?

No one is standing in your way in exercising your religion however you want to. Muslims have no more right than you do to make government events into prayer rituals. Neither do Satanists. Do you understand what a "straw man argument" is?

It's an issue of fundamental rights. It's never a big deal to the people who are riding roughshod over the rights of others. I'm sure the slaveholders didn't see what the big deal was with slavery. After all, it's sanctioned by the bible, isn't it?

Old 03-26-2009, 05:44 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post

We live in a constitutional democracy, where the constitution establishes a republican form of government,

nice squirm but this is not a constitutional democracy. this is not a democracy at all. it is a republic and you are correct that the christian framers went to great pains to design a sustainable republican form of government. you are also correct in stating my favorite words "to protect us from the tyranny of the majority" the tyrants being intolerant shrill citizens such as what I imagine you to be.

got shrew?

Old 03-26-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your thoughtful contribution to the thread topic, which is the issue of religious prayers at the opening of Miami Beach Council meetings.

You are incredibly blind to attacks in the other direction, or the fact that people who don't share your beliefs also have rights.
I dont care. They can say what they want to. Your going to insult anywone who will go against you anyway.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
You cannot convince anyone of anything without a cogent argument. Did you just think you could say, here's how it should be, and everyone would be blown away by your words?

No one is standing in your way in exercising your religion however you want to. Muslims have no more right than you do to make government events into prayer rituals. Neither do Satanists. Do you understand what a "straw man argument" is?

It's an issue of fundamental rights. It's never a big deal to the people who are riding roughshod over the rights of others. I'm sure the slaveholders didn't see what the big deal was with slavery. After all, it's sanctioned by the bible, isn't it?
Im not that ignorant. Why do you try so hard to convnence everyone? They wont listen to you either. Why do you believe its ok to attack them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies