U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2007, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Northeast
1,298 posts, read 2,409,078 times
Reputation: 623

Advertisements

Maybe I'm overly optomistic, but I think liberals, conservatives, reps, dems, are dying breeds. It made sense to follow the crowd years ago simply because information was not readily available. So one had to rely on the information presented to them for the most part.

These days, anybody with enough curiousity can find out the truth on any issue they like. It's a slow movement, hence the last presidential election, but it's moving. I'm hoping that 50 years from now we can put an end to the partisan nonsense that occurs today, and get to a point where public officials are elected based on personal merit, and not the gang colors they happen to be displaying. I think the turning point will be marked when we have an indepedent president.

One day, but sadly not today, or in 2008....

-TT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2007, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Small patch of terra firma
1,275 posts, read 2,166,703 times
Reputation: 536
I agree, it is We the People, not Us and Them. No one fits perfecting into any one party, but we all fit under "We the People". Our elected officials and those who choose to run should remember they represent all their constituents and not just those wearing the same label.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2007, 12:48 PM
 
597 posts, read 1,821,061 times
Reputation: 337
Yes, as I posted before saying that there had been a poll done that said if a 3rd party candidate ran soley on securing the border and immigration, then they would beat out both the GOP and the Dems in '08. I say 3rd party. We need another party that has legitimacy that can actually adress voter concerns and make the GOP and Dems scared of losing power, this is when things will actually get done--when they're scared for their jobs! That's the way it should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2007, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Northeast
1,298 posts, read 2,409,078 times
Reputation: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Yes, as I posted before saying that there had been a poll done that said if a 3rd party candidate ran soley on securing the border and immigration, then they would beat out both the GOP and the Dems in '08. I say 3rd party. We need another party that has legitimacy that can actually adress voter concerns and make the GOP and Dems scared of losing power, this is when things will actually get done--when they're scared for their jobs! That's the way it should be.
Why do we even need a "party"? We need to get rid of the electoral college completely, and move to a popular vote. We also need better campaign finance laws so the super rich and the extremely well funded lose their advantage.

It may sound crazy, but I'd like to see it where everyone from Bill Gates to my local gas attendant will have the same chance at running for president. Silly and idealistic I know, but I can dream, lol.

-TT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2007, 03:19 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
985 posts, read 2,592,454 times
Reputation: 824
kidizzle and yapcity...there is so much common sense in what you are saying. Something has to change. I agree the person who wants to close our borders is the one that would win. I love the idea that anyone should be able to run for president not just those with money. Maybe I can dream as well!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2007, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Northeast
1,298 posts, read 2,409,078 times
Reputation: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
kidizzle and yapcity...there is so much common sense in what you are saying. Something has to change. I agree the person who wants to close our borders is the one that would win. I love the idea that anyone should be able to run for president not just those with money. Maybe I can dream as well!!
I have some very unpopular ideas about how our government needs to be restructured. The way it is now, it just BREEDS corruption. It might have been a good idea once upon a time when people were basically decent, but those days are gone.

First thing on the list, abolish the parties. It's nothing more than gang warfare in suits.

-TT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2007, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Maine
16,556 posts, read 20,805,337 times
Reputation: 19144
Politics these days resembles sports more than public service. It's less about serving the needs of the country than about My Team vs. Their Team. Blech.

But the solution is not give up on it, but to get involved. Even if it's only a matter of writing your representatives and Letters to the Editor, get involved. Let your voice be heard. If your voice is ignored, vote the offenders out of office. If no one better is running, run yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2007, 01:46 PM
 
597 posts, read 1,821,061 times
Reputation: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
kidizzle and yapcity...there is so much common sense in what you are saying. Something has to change. I agree the person who wants to close our borders is the one that would win. I love the idea that anyone should be able to run for president not just those with money. Maybe I can dream as well!!
Tom Tancredo is launching a bid for 2008. He said it's a long shot, but he had to do it because no one has taken a serious stance on immigration. He's got my vote already .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2007, 01:50 PM
 
597 posts, read 1,821,061 times
Reputation: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Why do we even need a "party"? We need to get rid of the electoral college completely, and move to a popular vote. We also need better campaign finance laws so the super rich and the extremely well funded lose their advantage.

It may sound crazy, but I'd like to see it where everyone from Bill Gates to my local gas attendant will have the same chance at running for president. Silly and idealistic I know, but I can dream, lol.

-TT
This is very idealistic and I sympathize with what you are saying, but historically it has been a 2 party system in this country that has worked. Getting rid of the electoral college would have no effect on the party system. People in America understand parties and 'what they stand for' (who knows these days) so a lot of people vote that way. Unfortunately, it is probably too late to change that system. My point is if we can get a new party that actually addresses voter concerns (obvoiusly the current ones don't), then it will wreak havoc through the status quo and shake up the system in a much needed way. But, even that is a pipedream most likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2007, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Northeast
1,298 posts, read 2,409,078 times
Reputation: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
This is very idealistic and I sympathize with what you are saying, but historically it has been a 2 party system in this country that has worked. Getting rid of the electoral college would have no effect on the party system. People in America understand parties and 'what they stand for' (who knows these days) so a lot of people vote that way. Unfortunately, it is probably too late to change that system. My point is if we can get a new party that actually addresses voter concerns (obvoiusly the current ones don't), then it will wreak havoc through the status quo and shake up the system in a much needed way. But, even that is a pipedream most likely.
Well right now the electoral college favors the two party system, thats why I mentioned it. As for parties in general, I think that is the crutch most people use to avoid learning about who they are voting for. i.e. They like a Yankee over a Red Sock simply because they live in New York. Plenty of great Yankee ball players, and plenty of great Red Sox players. We choose to follow a particular baseball team for many reasons, all of them are fine since it's just a game.

This is not a game, but that's what it's turning into. Your idea while not a BAD one, really just adds another team to the mix. I say we lose the teams, and focus on the players.

-TT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:19 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top