U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2007, 03:51 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,365,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I think he means, he needs a scotch!!!!!
I get what FFH is saying.

Some people equate their heritage to how much they can drink in one sitting. Others are more interested in where they came from.

Personally, I don't really drink. Maybe a beer or two once a year. Yeah, I get a little tired of the green beer and other shananigans surrounding Irish events. My favorite is when you ask one of these yahoos what a "Black and Tan" is and they tell ya it's a drink.

FFH - You should give folks a chance before you judge. Most people have no clue where they came from, others embrace the history of their brethren. It's hard to tell which is which, but nothing a few posts won't cure.

-TT

Old 01-23-2007, 04:02 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,125,101 times
OP - no, I do not think there is a "white culture," because you can't equate color of skin with culture.
The term "black culture" usually references African American culture, and is not a very accurate term because black people are not necessary African American.
I wish we heard more about "American culture." Haven't we been a country long enough to have our own culture recognized? Even with all our differences, the majority of people in this country, if they've been here for a couple of generations, have similarities.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:14 PM

597 posts, read 1,785,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
OP - no, I do not think there is a "white culture," because you can't equate color of skin with culture.
The term "black culture" usually references African American culture, and is not a very accurate term because black people are not necessary African American.
I wish we heard more about "American culture." Haven't we been a country long enough to have our own culture recognized? Even with all our differences, the majority of people in this country, if they've been here for a couple of generations, have similarities.
Precisely. I agree with you 100%. My only point is that we play identity politics in America and every group is recognized as a unique and individual culture that must be protected and we have many organizations dedicated to advancing those particular racial groups interest (black culture, asian culture, latino culture, etc), but whites are not allowed to have an acknowledged culture in the same manner in this country, whether or not such a thing is appropriate for any group is obviously debatable. Whatever happened to the melting pot idea? We definitely need to be preaching more about American culture and American values in general and stop being so divisive in this country...

Old 01-23-2007, 05:20 PM

1,431 posts, read 3,570,540 times
Is there a black culture?

Hispanic culture?

I agree that any event like "black biker week" and things like that will only continue to tear at racial feelings. Look at how the media is talking about the Super Bowl, two black coaches at the same time in the Super Bowl. SO WHAT? I could care less.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Is there a black culture?

Hispanic culture?

I agree that any event like "black biker week" and things like that will only continue to tear at racial feelings. Look at how the media is talking about the Super Bowl, two black coaches at the same time in the Super Bowl. SO WHAT? I could care less.
This is because we keep having it beaten into our skulls about how racist this country is and they try to make it a sensational story, when in reality it's just a story about 2 coaches that got their teams to the Super Bowl. Who cares? I agree. These are competent men who both have excellent reputations as coaches, who cares if they are black?

Old 01-23-2007, 05:43 PM

271 posts, read 836,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
This is because we keep having it beaten into our skulls about how racist this country is and they try to make it a sensational story, when in reality it's just a story about 2 coaches that got their teams to the Super Bowl. Who cares? I agree. These are competent men who both have excellent reputations as coaches, who cares if they are black?

Ever wonder why nobody likes to talk about the dis-proportionate percentage of black professional NFL players versus the national percentage avearge of blacks within this country? Is the NFL racial against whites when it comes to players? Is the NFL racial against blacks when it comes to coaches?

Stay tuned for all the explicit answers after six short minutes of garbage from our sponsors....

Old 01-23-2007, 05:57 PM

989 posts, read 5,324,670 times
White culture is like Asian culture without rice or noodles.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:28 PM

634 posts, read 2,555,277 times
And we use actual eating utensils.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:29 PM

354 posts, read 761,717 times
There isn't such a thing as White culture, Asian culture, Black culture, Blue culture, Red culture, etc.

Race does not define culture nor does culture define race. There may be several cultures within a single race, but they are explicitly related to each ethnicity. Additionally, there may be similarities among cultures within a race, but not because of their appearance, typically because they originate from near parts of the world or may have common histories, struggles, or achievements. It's silly to think that such environment-based qualities as morals, art, religion, and entertainment are determined by less than 1% of the genetic makeup of individuals within a group.

Those that celebrate Black culture are not typically celebrating a culture defined by a single race (or fail to acknowledge this), rather the achievements and advancements of that race (praising equality and the journey from slavery and racism, for example).

Old 01-23-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
There isn't such a thing as White culture, Asian culture, Black culture, Blue culture, Red culture, etc.

Race does not define culture nor does culture define race. There may be several cultures within a single race, but they are explicitly related to each ethnicity. Additionally, there may be similarities among cultures within a race, but not because of their appearance, typically because they originate from near parts of the world or may have common histories, struggles, or achievements. It's silly to think that such environment-based qualities as morals, art, religion, and entertainment are determined by less than 1% of the genetic makeup of individuals within a group.

Those that celebrate Black culture are not typically celebrating a culture defined by a single race (or fail to acknowledge this), rather the achievements and advancements of that race (praising equality and the journey from slavery and racism, for example).
Okay, so if they are simply celebrating a common history, struggle, or achievement, then why is race always the over-arching idea in the label of so many of these groups. La Raza (the race), NAACP, and I could go on and on. There is a tie with race in all of these. Again, whether it's legitimate to do that or not is up for debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies