Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2007, 11:13 PM

31 posts, read 149,152 times

Advertisements

I hate to say it, but maybe we DO need legislation that outlaws preferential treatment based on race or gender?

didn't the civil rights act of 1964 do that?

Old 01-23-2007, 11:38 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin44 View Post
I hate to say it, but maybe we DO need legislation that outlaws preferential treatment based on race or gender?

didn't the civil rights act of 1964 do that?
lol, sure. How's that workin out for whites and asians by the way? Not too well.

Civil rights are supposed to be for everyone, not just the ones who led the march.

-TT

Old 01-24-2007, 10:51 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
lol, sure. How's that workin out for whites and asians by the way? Not too well.

Civil rights are supposed to be for everyone, not just the ones who led the march.

-TT
Yes, indeed.

The Equal Protection clause of the 14th Amendment covers discrimination, whether it is "reverse" or otherwise.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:53 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post

-TT
Actually, considering the amount of discrimination that Asians used to face in the US, it worked out pretty well for them.

All too many people forget that being Chinese in 1900 California or Washington State was like being black in 1900 Mississippi or Alabama.

Asians had to attend segregated schools in California for years.

Asians faced restrictive racial covenants in California just as African Americans did in California until the 1948 civil rights law (which predated the national legislation by 16 years)

The reason why the attitude of the Asian-American community is different today is because the number of Asian immigrants who have came in during the last 40 years swamped the number of descendants of Asian immigrants who came to the US in the 19th and early 20th centuries. And even then, the "model minority" stereotype only applies to Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, and South Asians (Indian subcontinent). It is NOT applied to Southeast Asians.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:22 PM

603 posts, read 1,994,941 times
Interesting read from the London Times regarding white children in Britain:

White children living in mixed-race communities feel as marginalised and uncertain of their British identity as ethnic minorities, a controversial government report has found.

A review of citizenship lessons in schools by Sir Keith Ajegbo, a Home Office adviser, concludes that white children are suffering “labelling and discrimination” that is severely compromising their idea of being British.

His review will suggest that while most people assume issues about diversity or “cultural and community cohesion” centred on the black or Asian communities, just as much thought and resources need to be put into providing diversity education to white pupils.

White pupils in areas where the ethnic composition is mixed can often suffer labelling and discrimination, Sir Keith will say. “They can feel beleaguered and marginalised, finding their own identities under threat as much as minority ethnic children might not have theirs recognised.
Anyone willing to say this would be similar here in America???

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...563000,00.html

Old 01-24-2007, 03:37 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Interesting read from the London Times regarding white children in Britain:

White children living in mixed-race communities feel as marginalised and uncertain of their British identity as ethnic minorities, a controversial government report has found.

A review of citizenship lessons in schools by Sir Keith Ajegbo, a Home Office adviser, concludes that white children are suffering “labelling and discrimination” that is severely compromising their idea of being British.

His review will suggest that while most people assume issues about diversity or “cultural and community cohesion” centred on the black or Asian communities, just as much thought and resources need to be put into providing diversity education to white pupils.

White pupils in areas where the ethnic composition is mixed can often suffer labelling and discrimination, Sir Keith will say. “They can feel beleaguered and marginalised, finding their own identities under threat as much as minority ethnic children might not have theirs recognised.
Anyone willing to say this would be similar here in America???

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...563000,00.html
The difference in my view is that in Britain, the ethnic native population is white Anglo-Saxon and Celtic for the most part. They have "chosen" to invite millions of non-European immigrants into the U.K. and change their culture to accommodate them. That's why whole areas of British cities are now Muslim and foreign and why London itself is only 1/3'rd populated by ethnic English. The USA is vastly different. Blacks are as American as apple pie and have been in America and building America since the inception of America. Our music and culture is disproportionately influenced by black musicians and music. They've had a far greater influence on American culture for the percentage of the population they represent, which by the way, is falling.

There is no "white" culture in America or in Europe. If it were so, then German culture would mirror English culture and Dutch culture and Norwegian culture and Italian culture and Spanish culture, etc. They don't mirror each other despite similarities. Culture is socially and historically derivative from agreed standards and experiences, not racially connected.
That goes for blacks as well. If it were true that culture is racial, then blacks in Burkino Faso and Nigeria would have the same culture as Ethiopians and Somalians. They don't and never have. Tell a Japanese person there's no difference between him and a Chinese person or Thai, Cambodian, or Vietnamese person. They'd look at you with justified incredulity.
There is indeed an American culture and both blacks and whites share in it even with class and regional differences. Southerners live socially differently than Northerners and Westerners, yet they share the same racial backgrounds for the most part.
Latinos are enveloped in this culture too. You might not notice with illegal migrants any difference, but their children and any legal migrant's children speak like Americans with American accents for the most part and they dress like American kids and want the same things as American kids. They begin to adopt barbecues and celebrate Thanksgiving and do all the things other Americans do.
Culture isn't racial, nor is it based on race. It's social, historical, linguistic, and often breaks down along socio-economic lines.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:38 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
Quote:
Okay guys, I have a new controversial topic I'd like to discuss. We hear a lot about 'black culture', 'latino culture', and 'asian culture' in this country and how it needs to be preserved and respected. My question is, do you believe there is a 'white culture' in this country? If so, should it be 'preserved and respected' equally to those mentioned--why or why not? I'm curious to hear opinions on the topic.
Absolutely there is a white culture and it should be respected, celebrated and cherished every bit as much as those of non-white decent.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:08 PM

355 posts, read 842,390 times
Quote:
Okay, so if they are simply celebrating a common history, struggle, or achievement, then why is race always the over-arching idea in the label of so many of these groups. La Raza (the race), NAACP, and I could go on and on. There is a tie with race in all of these. Again, whether it's legitimate to do that or not is up for debate.
I'm sure the general public doesn't know that Hispanic is not a race. And I'm sure the general public doesn't know that race is a figment of society, NOT GENETICS. The same general public, when constructing groups according to what they think may be the culture of a particular race, are unaware of the illogical basis of such groups. Furthermore, 'la raza' in Spanish doesn't necessarily have the same conotation as in English; it may very well simply refer to 'the people' or a group in society.

Besides, NAACP isn't supporting the culture of a a single race. They are supporting (or were founded to support) those from underrepresented groups. When speaking of those whose origins are traced to the African slave trade, they are often unaware of which part of the continent their ancestors hailed from. In this case, they cannot identify with an ethnic culture and as such have bonded with individuals who share A COMMON HISTORY.

Race does not define culture. End of story.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:24 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
I'm sure the general public doesn't know that Hispanic is not a race. And I'm sure the general public doesn't know that race is a figment of society, NOT GENETICS. The same general public, when constructing groups according to what they think may be the culture of a particular race, are unaware of the illogical basis of such groups. Furthermore, 'la raza' in Spanish doesn't necessarily have the same conotation as in English; it may very well simply refer to 'the people' or a group in society.

Besides, NAACP isn't supporting the culture of a a single race. They are supporting (or were founded to support) those from underrepresented groups. When speaking of those whose origins are traced to the African slave trade, they are often unaware of which part of the continent their ancestors hailed from. In this case, they cannot identify with an ethnic culture and as such have bonded with individuals who share A COMMON HISTORY.

Race does not define culture. End of story.

Uhhm, NO.

The NAACP is for black people, period. They are not looking to help "colored" people, just black people.

I know, because my Indian wife was denied employment based on her race/ethnicity. The wonderful woman actually told her "people around here aren't used to seeing new faces". My wife is pretty tough, so my hat's off to her for not feeding the woman her knuckles, lol.

but..

I did call the National Association for the Advancement of BLACK people when she got home. "Is your wife african-american?" they asked. When I said no they were done with it. Thats when I realized "colored" was a term for blacks when the org was founded. They never changed it. It's a BLACK organization for BLACK people. Nobody else.

-TT

Old 01-24-2007, 07:36 PM

355 posts, read 842,390 times
Perhaps your wife should have contacted the ACLU which fights for civil rights above all else.

Anyways, it doesn't change the fact that culture and race are not dependent nor genetically linked. NAACP is not a cultural organization-- they fight for civil rights (whether or not it's solely for African-Americans is not relevent).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies