U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 04:42 PM

850 posts, read 2,850,422 times

Advertisements

madicarus - you are absolutely right. I didn't think about it like that while I was typing away.

We are way to generalized all the way around.

Maybe...racism wouldn't be as predominate as it is if we generalized less, and encouraged herutage and culture more.

But, then those who always have to 'hate' something would center in harder on classism - or something.

Thank you !

Kimmiey

Old 01-16-2007, 04:52 PM

1,275 posts, read 2,125,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
madicarus - you are absolutely right. I didn't think about it like that while I was typing away.

We are way to generalized all the way around.

Maybe...racism wouldn't be as predominate as it is if we generalized less, and encouraged herutage and culture more.

But, then those who always have to 'hate' something would center in harder on classism - or something.

Thank you !

Kimmiey
Kimmiey, no problem. I learned it all through experience. I had a mexican coworker once who described the differences between the latin american people and described a sort of caste system. I knew many Vietnamese who considered Koreans as a lower class than them. Even though they may not have known any Koreans. However when any of them mark off that box, they all select the same general term even though they feel they have distinct differences that seperate them and make them "better" than the other. It's a difference you don't really see unless you get exposed to it. They all have the same feeling you do.

Last edited by madicarus2000; 01-16-2007 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: misspellings

Old 01-16-2007, 04:54 PM

15,098 posts, read 19,745,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
To be fair, in most cases when you are filling some form out, it is strictly voluntary. And there is always that "Other" box.
Looking at me, I look pretty white. But I ALWAYS fill in OTHER. Besides my European ancestry, I also have Jewish, African, and Native American ancestors. If anyone wants to doubt my "otherness," the burden of proof is on them.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:58 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,366,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post

Thank you !

Kimmiey
I hate stupid politicians.

HELP!! I'M SURROUNDED!! TELL MENSA TO SEND REINFORCEMENTS!!

GOT TO IMP......IMP.........ugh.......IMP................ ........

IMPEACH BUSH!
.................................................. ....................................

Anyway, enough of my hatred, lol. I hate to say it, but maybe we DO need legislation that outlaws preferential treatment based on race or gender?

Always made me feel warm all over when my FEMALE manager would send out estro-charged emails about some "women in business" organization. Yup, I just knew my career was going places..................nowhere.

The 4 women she promoted, and NO men, over the 5 years I was under her reign of terror probably would agree with me. Incidentally, out of the 30 people in her charge, 7 were women. Nope, no impropriety there, lol.

Whites have a culture, at least American white men do, lol.
We're spectators. We get to watch everyone else get every helping hand imaginable, while we have to do it all ourselves and still come up short with the same or better results. This is all because of some ignorant behavior from some dead white guys that never did a thing for us.

EOE, doesn't stand for "Equal Opportunity Employer". It stands or "EveryOne Else" lol.

Cheers!

-TT

Old 01-16-2007, 05:03 PM

15,098 posts, read 19,745,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
but maybe we DO need legislation that outlaws preferential treatment based on race or gender?
Probably so. I don't like discrimination of any sort, be it race or gender or religion or political party or whatever.

Objectively, I understand the need for Affirmative Action. The thinking was that it would help to give disenfranchized people (like minorities) a head start in bettering their lives. Back in the 1960s and '70s it might have even made a certain amount of sense.

Now, I've seen it be counter-productive more often than not. Not only does it lead to unqualified people being hired and promoted, it breeds resentment among others. In seeking to help out the disenfranchized, it seems to be creating more disenfranchized.

I dunno. I am by no means an expert on Affirmative Action, but my thinking is that giving anyone preferential treatment based on race is wrong. That is the very definition of racism, and it is working against what Martin Luther King's dream, where all people would be judged not by the color of their skin but by the character of their hearts.

Am I wrong?

Old 01-16-2007, 05:25 PM

173 posts, read 372,188 times
This was posted on another website. It is definately not PC. I think whoever wrote this was refering to the "white" European culture. This is a bit long........Hope it is not too "strong."

Europeans built America, Canada, and all of Europe. These immigrants, especially the mexicans, are demanding this land as their own and saying that they have as much right to it as we do. They don't and they never will. It was not the mexicans who turned America or Europe into the civilizations they are. It is thousands of years of European culture and advancement that made America and Europe what they are today.
We have no obligation to give up the civilization our ancestors built to some group of 3rd worlders who because their ancestors are incapable of creating a self sustaining nation, think they have some special privilage to come to our countries.
The 6 million arabs in france that are starting to take control, the arabs and north africans that are moving into England, the influx of thousands of immigrants into Russia when the Russian economy is too damaged to even help it's own people at the moment.
You can feel it in the air. Changes are coming. All across Europe and America, Europeans and their decendents are beginning to realize that the beautiful civilizations their ancestors built are being swallowed whole by 3rd world immigrants who are coming to their nations in greater numbers with hostile agendas and anti-European and anti-American feelings.
These people believe it is their "right" to take from us what our ancestors created. These people believe it is their "right" to take from us what their ancestors failed to build for them.
These people, these fanatical arabs, africans and mexicans, none of them will stay in their own country and fight for a better more stable country. None of them will fight to reform their own nations. Because that is not what these people do. Europeans and Asians, they physically fought within their own nations to create order. Japan was once a bunch of tribes. England was once a bunch of tribes, but our ancestors and the ancestors of Asians, they created nations, while the tribalism of Africa, South American, and the Arab world continued on and on to the present day.
Now like the leeches they are, instead of shedding their own blood for the good of their countries as our ancestors all did to unite Europe and America (and as took place in Japan) they would rather run to our countries and demand citizenship like leeches. Instead of building civilizations, these people destroy civilizations. They infest European civilizations like wood ants infest a house. And they consume and east and take welfare, and drain the education system and get food stamps, and have 4 children and destroy the healthcare system.
But I'll tell you, if you have been paying close attention to international news, you'll notice that in Russia violent crime against immigrants has gone way up. Russians have begun fighting back. I saw a statement on BBC that one Russian whe interviewed said something like "they are coming to our country, taking our jobs, taking food out of our families mouths, taking the places of our children in college when our own government doesn't even have enough money to support the Russian people"
In England Tony Blair's party just had a major defeat as the Conservative party took over 40 seats from them running on an anti-immigration campaign.
In America polls show more than half the country wants a physical wall between the US and Mexico. And as these third world pack rats keep coming in and furthering the economic destruction of the American southwest, you will see people become more vocal and angry.
In France the more than 6 million arab muslims currently living there are threatening french politics. Watch what happens in the next 10 years in France. You will see more clashes between the average french citizen and the arab muslims.
Europeans, Americans, and Canadians are all starting to realize something. While the population of Europeans and Americans and Canadians of European decend are rapidly declining, the population of 3rd worlders is expected to double in the next 100 years.
These 3rd worlders cannot even control their own population growth. Every single one of them has multiple children when they know they cannot support them. Then they take our money through government aid, they try to come here and in the process destroy our infrastructure, and we are just expected to watch the wood ants devour our house while we sit out in the cold.
Changes are coming, this is the beginning of a multi nation revolt across 2 continents. I never advocated hurting any 3rd worlders or taking their land. All I am saying is they need to stay where they are, and figure out how to solve their problems just like the Europeans and Americans did.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:29 PM

173 posts, read 372,188 times
Here is the rest of the post above.......

As for the Indians, they immigrated to North America just everyone else did. The United States of America came into existence through Europeans not through Indians, not through Mexicans, not through any South American tribe.

When a nation is formed, whatever is built within that nation belongs first to the people that built it, and second to the decendants of those who built it. Land by itself is not worth very much. It is the culture and group of people that settle the land and build up the land that make it either a 3rd world garbage dump, or a first world nation of wealth.

The Europeans are the greatest civilization builders in the history of the world. Nearly all of the worlds greatest civilizations have been created wherever Europeans have settled. Whether it be France, England, Spain, Germany, Russia, Canada, USA, the Roman Empire, the Greek Empire.

Wherever Europeans go, and wherever Europeans build new civilizations and nations, everyone else wants to follow.

You can sit there and BS all you want. Land doesn't mean squat. If land meant something, then all those oil rich nations would be 1st world countries. It's not the land, it's the people, it's the culture, it's the knowledge. No one can deny that Europeans have built not only the richest, most powerful, most successful, and most cultural civilizations on earth, but that everywhere these civilizations came into being, there was always a group of uncivilized countries trying to destroy them out of jealousy for what they had.
The Islamic countries had over 1500 years to create a good civilization. The Africans had even longer. The South Americans had thousands of years. What happened? What are your excuses for the literally thousands of years these places had to civilize themselves and form enlightened nations?

While the Europeans and the Asians were culture, with philosophy and science, the rest of the world was still involved in tribalism. While Europe and Asia were developing into an artistic, poetic, cultured, philosophical, enlightened societies, there was no change in Africa or South America.

Today we refer to Eastern Culture and Western Culture. Eastern Culture is Asian, and Western Culture is European. The 2 cultures which proved themselves superior to the rest of the cultures on earth. The 2 cultures that provided the worlds greatest thinkers, the worlds greatest technological inventions, all of the sciences, virtually everything.

Nobody associated Africa or South America with Eastern or Western cultures because they simply are not relevant. These cultures have contributed virtually nothing to humanity as a whole.
Where are your excuses for them? Over 6,000 total years of evolved human history, and these people have produced NOTHING.

Do not sit there and speak to me about who owns what lands. Because in the end, all superior cultures will swallow inferior cultures. Superior cultures produce sophisticated weapons. Everyone started off equal. Everyone had about 6,000 years. It's clear which cultures are superior and which cultures will easily be forgotten by history.

All of the sciences - physics, biology, astronomy, geology, meteorology all born from the vein of philosophy, all born of Europeans and Asians.

You can be as politically correct as you want. You can act like all of humanity contributed equally, that all civilizations are equal, you can say and believe anything you want. But lies, they cannot last forever. The truth is right in the history books, but everyone is afraid to admit it.

Americans owe nobody anything. America is a superior culture formed by the superior cultures of the Europeans. That is why this nation, as all Europeans nations are, is powerful, and successful, and strong. We owe no apologies to any group of people. We fought wars as the rest of the world has fought for thousands of years. We conquered lands, as the rest of the world has done for thousands of years. The only difference is, everyone wants European land. Nobody is fighting to get into Africa or South America.

It's not that they want the land because they feel it was once theres. It's that they want the land because Europeans have made yet another successful civilization, and they want a free piece of the pie because they are just incapable of ever building a successful civilization and sustaining themselves.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:07 PM

597 posts, read 1,787,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryPie View Post
These people, these fanatical arabs, africans and mexicans, none of them will stay in their own country and fight for a better more stable country. None of them will fight to reform their own nations. Because that is not what these people do...
Ya know, not to get off topic here, but this really is the most disturbing part about mass immigration from the 3rd world. They are all leaving broken nations, but yet didn't remain there to make it a better place. Makes you wonder how these people would respond in a crisis in this nation...will they all flood into Canada? It is an excellent point.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:29 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,366,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Ya know, not to get off topic here, but this really is the most disturbing part about mass immigration from the 3rd world. They are all leaving broken nations, but yet didn't remain there to make it a better place. Makes you wonder how these people would respond in a crisis in this nation...will they all flood into Canada? It is an excellent point.
I honestly have no problem with them being here. I just want them contributing instead of living off the other 240mil.

That's my only issue with them. They don't kick in their fair share as a demographic. I'm sure if we figured out a way to tax them all, and started denying public assistance, as well as hospital care to illegal aliens, they would leave on their own. Instead we roll out the red carpet so they can squash their cigarette butts in it.

Ask yourself, if you lived in Mexico, wouldn't YOU come here? lol.

-TT

Old 01-16-2007, 06:30 PM

597 posts, read 1,787,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
I hate stupid politicians.

Anyway, enough of my hatred, lol. I hate to say it, but maybe we DO need legislation that outlaws preferential treatment based on race or gender?

Always made me feel warm all over when my FEMALE manager would send out estro-charged emails about some "women in business" organization. Yup, I just knew my career was going places..................nowhere.

The 4 women she promoted, and NO men, over the 5 years I was under her reign of terror probably would agree with me. Incidentally, out of the 30 people in her charge, 7 were women. Nope, no impropriety there, lol.

Whites have a culture, at least American white men do, lol.
We're spectators. We get to watch everyone else get every helping hand imaginable, while we have to do it all ourselves and still come up short with the same or better results. This is all because of some ignorant behavior from some dead white guys that never did a thing for us.

EOE, doesn't stand for "Equal Opportunity Employer". It stands or "EveryOne Else" lol.

Cheers!

-TT
I think the answer to your question is a resounding yes. Here in MI, we just voted down preferential treatment based on race and gender. It was voted in by a vast majority of folks and the man who was behind it was a black man tired of these types of laws. You are also accurate about being a white man. We are supposed to cheer when EOE (in your terms) is given a sweet deal like special promotions due to these factors, while we have to sit back and smile, because it would be sexist/racist not too. So why do we allow everyone to convince us to celebrate our loss of influence? Seems dumb to me. Latinos wouldn't cheer if a white guy was promoted because of special treatment because it was a Hispanic dominated workplace. Our society is so obsessed with group identity (multi-cultists), but it still won't allow whites (particularly men) to openly celebrate or even recognize their group identity (and yes there is a lot to celebrate about our general culture).

I am of the opinion that whites have as much of a general culture in this nation as blacks have a general culture. Our ancestors came from diverse backgrounds and so do blacks and latinos, but there is a general culture that applies over whites in this country. We can deny it all day long, but this country was 90% white until the 1960's. Can I easy explain what white culture is--no. Can we openly celebrate it--no. We celebrate when blacks (who are a very diverse group as well) go out and have parades and marches to celebrate their color and shared culture (we have a Black History Month). Whites, as a general culture, are not allowed to do this. We can celebrate Saint Patricks or something, but none of these are celebrating our 'whiteness' such as many other cultures celebrate their's. All I'm trying to say is that is foolish to allow people to say and do things based on their race if you won't allow another group of people do the same. I'll be curious to see how people's opinion change in this country when our demographics shift a little more dramatically in the next 20 years. It's great to hear all the different opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies