U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:52 PM

1,275 posts, read 2,127,376 times

Advertisements

berrypie, a few issues with that long post, was it really the European settlers who built it? What about in America? Was it only the white European settlers who built something? It depends on do you mean the architect or the laborer who did the building. That's something to think about. Blacks and Chinese helped build our railroad system. Along with other races but they didnt map out the routes. So who built it, the white American who mapped it or the multiethic laborers who actually sweat over the building of the infrastructure.

However I do agree on one thing, immigrants should contribute and can keep their culture and heritage but understand they are in a host country and need to respect the rules of the host.

Also, 6,000 years of human evolution, that is telling on the ideology of the person(s) who wrote that diatribe. But evolution is not the topic here so I wont digress.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:00 PM

11,060 posts, read 18,151,473 times
hahaha!...saw this thread and asked people at work their thoughts,one white guy,one Jamaican guy and several latin guys...

they all had this look when I asked them that

the only thing they could come up with was nascar lol!Thats the only thing I could come up with...I would say rock and country music but love of music is not exclusive to any culture.

Well there was one other thing I thought of which definately includes me,most white guys cant dance very well lol!

which bothers me,because the saying ladies will size you up how you "perform" by seeing how you perform dancing haha!...I beg to differ on that....

Old 01-16-2007, 08:08 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,369,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
hahaha!...saw this thread and asked people at work their thoughts,one white guy,one Jamaican guy and several latin guys...

they all had this look when I asked them that

the only thing they could come up with was nascar lol!Thats the only thing I could come up with...I would say rock and country music but love of music is not exclusive to any culture.

Well there was one other thing I thought of which definately includes me,most white guys cant dance very well lol!

which bothers me,because the saying ladies will size you up how you "perform" by seeing how you perform dancing haha!...I beg to differ on that....
Country maybe, but the "King" of rock-n-roll got most of his material from "colored" music. As for dancing, lol, I'd rather watch thanks. I'll do the slow stuff, but no interest in bouncing around to the beat of the music. Just not my thing.

Nascar? What about Jerry Springer? Maybe re-runs of Hee-Haw? lol

-TT

Old 01-16-2007, 08:33 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,191,555 times
Default The divide and conquer strategy of the real ruling class.

1) Take all the not terribly bad ideas of the 1960's, and warp and distort them beyond all recognition. Create "Women's Studies" departments and staff them with tenured man hating misfits. Fill the History departments of our universities with anti-American communists who belittle us and our traditions, and make said belittling 'cool.'

2) Put a generation of young men through this wringer, and create a second group of disaffected, alienated citizens, eager to join the Rush Limburger fan club.

3) Make sure all Conservatives have a "liberal" straw man to despise, and all Liberals a "conservative" one.

4) Watch the USA go down the tubes, rake in the profits, and enjoy!

Old 01-16-2007, 08:35 PM

89 posts, read 258,290 times
Default Every Culture Has A Shade/colour!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Matter What The Colour We Are We Have A Culture And We Should Be Very Proud Of It.!...me...a Cuban.....on Applications It State Choose.....hispanic/latino....... I Hate The Labels.....i I'm Cuban By Birth,spaniard By Culture,white By Race (white French And White Spanish..[catalan(barcelona) ])blonde,blue Eyes,fair Skin ,etc. Now When I Have To Choose Hispanic Where Do I Fit On The Census Data ? What If I Was Cuban,,black By Race (african Culture),black Eyes ,ebony Skin,where Do I Fit As A Hispanic.. Same For Mulato (mixed White/black),with Green Eyes Or Asian With Hispanic Culture? Now The Latino Some How,people Think Of Them As Mexicans,mexican/americans, Its Crazy How We Are Labeled. If Some One Was A White Or Black Of Irish,welsh,scandanavian,european,russian Or Oriental Culture,they Dont Have To Select Their Origins Only The Colour Of Their Skin On An Application.i Think If Hispanics Have To Denote Their Culture/origens All Humans Should Do Also.its Something To Be Proud To Say " I Am An American Born Citizen And My Roots Are From..... No Shame Or Cover Up,most Of Us Can't Forget Where Our Blood Originally Came From,and Not Divide Ourself From The Rest Because Of Colour,race Or Origen. "god Bless America For Allowing So Many Colours Call This Home". Alberto E.

Last edited by Alberto E; 01-16-2007 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: FORGOT.... AND I DANCE ALL TYPE OF RYTHMS BEING CUBAN AND" WHITE"ha ha ha !"

Old 01-16-2007, 09:08 PM

354 posts, read 763,229 times
Those two long, quoted posts were nothing short of comedy. About 90% of that was "white supremacy" banter disguised by an assortment of disillusioned takes on history and the present situation in the U.S.

I don't think there is such a thing as "white culture". I strongly believe there are Italian, British, Irish, French, Spanish, Middle Eastern, Slavic, African, and Latin American influences within "American culture", but its hard to attribute cultural/ethnic themes or identity to a societal figment such as race. Therefore, there isn't an "African culture" any more than there is an "Asian culture" or a "Caucasian culture". There are ethnic cultures within each race, but the race as a whole does not have a culture.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:11 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,661,472 times
Here's a curiosity for you-

Who are Latinos?

If latin (the language) came from Italy, why aren't Italians latinos?
OK, Latinos are usualy thought to be spanish speaking.
If latinos are then spanish speaking, why aren't Philapinos latinos?
And are Brazilians who speak portugese considered to be latinos?
Or aren't South Americans considered latinos?
Maybe it means that some citizens came from Spain and the new country now speaks spanish, even though there is a mix of other races who may even be the majority who are not of spanish heritage?

It's all too crazy isn't it? I could never understand this.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:27 PM

850 posts, read 2,854,016 times
Yap - you are so RIGHT about the woman thing! Being a woman - and please, I do not mean to offend ANYONE by saying this - I believe Gloria Steinham did more to hurt MY generation than she ever did to help my mother's.

I understand there was a time when women were not treated as equals in the work place in any way, shape or form. However, that is no longer the case. Now, women are belly-aching about juggling careers, not seeing their children, attempting to be super-woman, etc. PICK ONE!

Has anyone stopped to wonder why the kids in this country are doing more drugs, not going to college, involved in more crime, shooting classmates, etc.? I am a firm believer that the introduction of women into the workforce weakened the American family to what it is.

I know I probably just made some really angry - I don't mean to, that is just my opinion.

Here is my experience: when my boys were little, I was able to stay home. I did not begin to work until I separated from my first husband and HAD to support myself and the kids. BIG difference. Yes, the pain from the divorce did not help - but I have had opportunities since 1994 to stay home with the kids - when it was possible, I did. They ALWAYS did better when I was at home.

They have even told me they do not want their wives to work because they rememebr how nice it was to come home to MOM after school.

An empty house is an open invitation for anything a child can imagine. With more and more moms in high paying positions, more and more kids are at home for hours and hours after school. Around here, high school lets out at 2:05 p.m. The majority of working moms I know do not get home until after ^ o'clock.

What are the kids doing????

Sorry about the tangent. I know some women want a career and some have to work. That is understandable. But I know women (a few in my family) who have had their child in daycare since they were 6 weeks old, and are proud of it! Why have a child to let someone else raise it? The morals and ideals these kids learn are not from the parents. How could they be?

And quality vs. quantity? A lame idea to make parents feel better about what they are doing to their kids. Every time I see a kid who is in trouble - I always ask - where were the parents?

Okay - I could go on, but my soapbox is tired.

I am so pleased with this thread. It really makes you stop and think about so many things. But one more thing - I love my boys more than anything in this world - but the way things are in the corporate culture these days - I am so sorry they are white American males. Gee, I guess there is a 'culture' there, afterall.

madicarus- thanks again.

Berrypie - you have given me something to think about - not quite sure how to respond to that yet. I'll let you know...

Old 01-16-2007, 09:28 PM

173 posts, read 372,649 times
My idea of the perfect country......

Everyone is an American, and an American only. Period
One language
One flag

No special groups, just because of color or race. Period

We honor our founders, and we adhere to our Constitution as it was meant to be adhered to.

I can see the American flag flying higher, and prouder, when that day comes!

Old 01-16-2007, 09:31 PM

354 posts, read 763,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Here's a curiosity for you-

Who are Latinos? ... It's all too crazy isn't it? I could never understand this.
What residents of the U.S. consider "Latino" is likely different than what people of other regions consider "Latino".

As I understand it (and as Wikipedia affirmed), being Latino does not necessarily refer to the Latin language or the descendents of those that spoke it. It is widely used as the shortened form of the Spanish word latinoamericano or Latin American. Thus, Brazilians and and all other peoples of Central and South America may be considered "Latino" in the same way that they may be considered Hispanic, or having roots in the Iberian peninsula.

In Europe, being "Latino" may refer to anyone who speaks the Romance Languages which all have roots in Latin. While in the U.S., "Latino" typically refers to those from Hispanophone countries, which excludes Brazil.

Last edited by Amavel; 01-16-2007 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies