U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 05:51 PM

752 posts, read 595,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Are you an American?

Obviously not anymore. Why are you even here? lol

You don't see me popping on Scotish sites annoying skirt wearing men do ya?
I can be here. Who made you the forum police?

Actually I am an American. I just live in Scotland.

And because I was born in America and raised there, I am an American. If you were born & raised Irish, you could claim the same. But I don't think you can.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:59 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,367,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
I can be here. Who made you the forum police?

Actually I am an American. I just live in Scotland.

And because I was born in America and raised there, I am an American. If you were born & raised Irish, you could claim the same. But I don't think you can.
Jeez, hit a pub, lol. You started it, I was just returning the serve.

I've never been to Ireland, but my family still embraces the culture. I am of Irish descent, and many people get it when I say I'm Irish. This also makes me an American white male, which means I have no culture that I am able to speak of, lol. So let me have the only heritage that society allows me have.

-TT

Old 01-17-2007, 06:17 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,481,347 times
Quote:
skirt wearing men
Did I hear "men in kilts"???

Not that I'm a diry old lady or anything....

Old 01-17-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Jeez, hit a pub, lol. You started it, I was just returning the serve.

I've never been to Ireland, but my family still embraces the culture. I am of Irish descent, and many people get it when I say I'm Irish. This also makes me an American white male, which means I have no culture that I am able to speak of, lol. So let me have the only heritage that society allows me have.

-TT
No serve to volley. I fail to see how you could embrace a culture you don't even have a stake in. Honestly, how could you if you have never set foot in the country?

So tell us then Irish Lad, Hibs & Hearts are drawn nil-nil, who do you support?

Old 01-17-2007, 06:29 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,193,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Did I hear "men in kilts"???
Plaidmom
You took my post!
FFH, be nice. I know you're living the *real* Scottish life (whether you like it or not) but I know how YapCity feels. Irish-Americans feel the tug of the ould sod even when they've never set foot on it, because certain traditions are passed on from generation to generation. Same with a lot of other ethnic groups.
You take what "culture" you can get, diluted or changed as it may be.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
No serve to volley. I fail to see how you could embrace a culture you don't even have a stake in. Honestly, how could you if you have never set foot in the country?

So tell us then Irish Lad, Hibs & Hearts are drawn nil-nil, who do you support?
I'm a baseball fan my friend. I don't follow any other sport.

-TT

Old 01-17-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Plaidmom
You took my post!
FFH, be nice. I know you're living the *real* Scottish life (whether you like it or not) but I know how YapCity feels. Irish-Americans feel the tug of the ould sod even when they've never set foot on it, because certain traditions are passed on from generation to generation. Same with a lot of other ethnic groups.
You take what "culture" you can get, diluted or changed as it may be.
No they don't. The tug of Irish sod is a fantasy. If you knew the reality of living there -- trust me, few SUV-driving Americans would countenance the reality of living in that country.

Whatever Americans call Irish, it ain't Irish. That's all I'm saying.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
No they don't. The tug of Irish sod is a fantasy. If you knew the reality of living there -- trust me, few SUV-driving Americans would countenance the reality of living in that country.

Whatever Americans call Irish, it ain't Irish. That's all I'm saying.
I think many of us realize a lot more than you think. We're just not nearly as arrogant as yourself, lol. - UTR

-TT

Old 01-18-2007, 06:20 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,193,288 times
Quote:
I think many of us realize a lot more than you think. We're just not nearly as arrogant as yourself, lol.

-TT
Exactly.
I've spent plenty of time in the UK, in all its damp glory: Ireland, Wales, Scotland, England.
I even witnessed a London IRA bombing in 1974: does that make me more authentic?
I think I have a pretty good idea of the real deal. I understand it's more Nil By Mouth or Roddy Doyle than Braveheart or The Quiet Man.
So what? I'm not planning on moving to Britain anytime soon.
Am quite happy with my Irish*American* culture, the step-dancing exhibitions, wearing green on March 17, my ancient Clancy Brothers records.
Pat yourself on the back, FFH.
The rest of us deluded souls will merrily continue with our collective Irish fantasy.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I think many of us realize a lot more than you think. We're just not nearly as arrogant as yourself, lol. - UTR

-TT
It's not obvious. You're the one who claimed to be Irish. It's not arrogance to remind you that nobody on this side would agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies