Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 06:43 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,686,836 times

Advertisements

We should leave when the country is stable enough to take care of itself, or when they request it, which ever happens first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 06:44 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,790 times
You wont be able to ignore the improvements made in Iraq until November. At some point you will have to admit that it was the correct and only foreign policy option we had to deal with Saddam and his refusal to obey the terms and conditions of his Gulf war surrender. Anything less would have been a total foreign policy blunder sending the wrong message to the rest of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Thank your leader for the casualty count. He is the one that threw them in there with no plan to get out. Lesson number one in military engagments - have clear mission objectives and an exit strategy.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
That was the lesson form vietnam and solmolia really. I both instances we cut and ran is what the truth is.Now the democrats are urging the same thing but Obama seems to be having second thpuhgts.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:49 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,216,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
We should leave when the country is stable enough to take care of itself, or when they request it, which ever happens first.
Well said.
News flash its their country. Let them make it work or let them screw it up. Iraq's internal politics is none of our business. Bring the troops home they did what they were supposed to do. Defeat saddams army.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:52 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
You wont be able to ignore the improvements made in Iraq until November. At some point you will have to admit that it was the correct and only foreign policy option we had to deal with Saddam and his refusal to obey the terms and conditions of his Gulf war surrender. Anything less would have been a total foreign policy blunder sending the wrong message to the rest of the world.
The rest of the world is laughing at us. Wake up, guy. China is getting exponentially stronger miltarily as they loan us the money to continue this joke for as long as we want to.

Our own intelligence reports say islamic radical terrorism is worse now than 9/11 thanks to George dumbass Bush.

You people pretned to support the military but if anyone in the military starts to question the strategy you tell them to shut up, volunteers. get back out there, again and again.

Disgusting.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:53 PM

717 posts, read 773,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well said.
News flash its their country. Let them make it work or let them screw it up. Iraq's internal politics is none of our business. Bring the troops home they did what they were supposed to do. Defeat saddams army.
Its very frustrating to hear President Bush reject the request of the leader of Iraq. I admit I supported the overthrow of Saddam but our work is done there. They have to take care of themselves now and they seem to want that.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:05 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,216,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
The rest of the world is laughing at us. Wake up, guy. China is getting exponentially stronger miltarily as they loan us the money to continue this joke for as long as we want to.

Our own intelligence reports say islamic radical terrorism is worse now than 9/11 thanks to George dumbass Bush.

You people pretned to support the military but if anyone in the military starts to question the strategy you tell them to shut up, volunteers. get back out there, again and again.

Disgusting.
Bily like you when I served it was because I loved my country. I loved it so much That I volunteered to train with the teams, I volunteered to put my life at risk just to be the best sailor I could be. For my country. Not for Iraq, Israel, S.Korea, Japan, Germany, England, Italy or the multitude of other leaches.
I love the so-called patriots that say you go soldier we are so behind you. Yeah at home in the easy chair arm chair quarterbacking. 19 yearold kids highly trained and motivated being used to police a land that both doesn't want them and doesn't appreciate them.
Soldiers serving a country whose leadership on both sides feel the best way to use them is as pawns to elevate their own political standing.
I am so with you Bily bring our men and women home. Lets have huge parades and make it law that our soldiers will only be used in defence of our own nation. Not as UN police, not as peace keepers in another land.
Lets make it a law if we send them the politicians let our generals and admirals fight to win.
Iraq wants a time table. Good. Starting tomorow we bring 50% home by august. the other 50% home by September.
After withdrawing them imeadietly to Kuwait, Saudi arabia and any other nearby bases.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:13 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Bily like you when I served it was because I loved my country. I loved it so much That I volunteered to train with the teams, I volunteered to put my life at risk just to be the best sailor I could be. For my country. Not for Iraq, Israel, S.Korea, Japan, Germany, England, Italy or the multitude of other leaches.
I love the so-called patriots that say you go soldier we are so behind you. Yeah at home in the easy chair arm chair quarterbacking. 19 yearold kids highly trained and motivated being used to police a land that both doesn't want them and doesn't appreciate them.
Soldiers serving a country whose leadership on both sides feel the best way to use them is as pawns to elevate their own political standing.
I am so with you Bily bring our men and women home. Lets have huge parades and make it law that our soldiers will only be used in defence of our own nation. Not as UN police, not as peace keepers in another land.
Lets make it a law if we send them the politicians let our generals and admirals fight to win.
Iraq wants a time table. Good. Starting tomorow we bring 50% home by august. the other 50% home by September.
After withdrawing them imeadietly to Kuwait, Saudi arabia and any other nearby bases.
Thanks tinman. You are a good guy. We have a bond of military service. I am sick of people pretending they give a damn about our troops, just so they can promote Iraq. This war is that important, let's raise everybodies taxes and pay for it now instead of using a credit card our grandkids will be paying off.

Let's see how damn important it is then.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:15 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,303,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Bryan, what took the Iraqi Army so long? In LESS time than we've been over there "helping" them, our nation put 16,000,000 in uniform, launched thousands of ships, tens of thousands of airplanes, and won a huge war on two fronts against Japan and Germany. And it's taken the Iraqi's FIVE full years to be able to hold their own against some ragtag private army of Sadr's nutjobs.
What took so long?
It took the U.S. 7 years to help Japan get back in its feet after WWII.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:18 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,790 times
OK lets beam ourselves out of the twilight zone and look at this realistically.

Saddam attacked our ally Kuwait, we removed him from that country and accepted a surrender with conditions. He did not adhere to the conditions so we went back in removed him and have spent several years trying to stabilize the country. Something we are very close to having finished.

We will not announce our leaving so no one including Maliki knows when we are going to pullout. I would think that when the generals on the ground feel the country is secure and the Iraqi Army and police force can maintain that security we will leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies