Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 03:13 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times

Advertisements

I try to avoid WalMart but was short on time the other day and went into one to pick up one thing. What I noticed was how everyone working/shopping, no matter what race, appeard to be very poor. I actually saw three female employees talking to one another and NONE of the had TEETH! What, they have no dental plan at WM? Probably not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 03:24 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I try to avoid WalMart but was short on time the other day and went into one to pick up one thing. What I noticed was how everyone working/shopping, no matter what race, appeard to be very poor. I actually saw three female employees talking to one another and NONE of the had TEETH! What, they have no dental plan at WM? Probably not.
Oh my, what a disgrace, POOR people actually shopping in a store! Don't those POOR people know they don't have any money to be spending? Why, I certainly wouldn't want to be caught dead in a store that POOR people also patronized, especially very POOR people. People might think I'm not rich!
The disgrace of it!

Old 08-12-2008, 05:00 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, no way those people were having dental problems before being hired. I bet all their teeth fell out the day they showed up at Wal-mart.

And of course, all companies provide dental plans that replace missing teeth for free, except Wal-Mart.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:50 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I am so angry and upset...these people should be made to move to these countries where these people are actually slaves and made to live there....period, they should be driven out of the U.S. This is not what the U.S. grew on, and it is becoming an insult to those great men, like Adams, Jefferson, Washington, Franklin...for all they fought hard for so that American's could live free from this kind of behavior.Creme
Actually Jefferson held slaves until his death, when through his will he finally freed what are now believed to be his very own slave children from his slave whom he "seduced" (coerced, whatever you wanna call it) when she was I believe a teenager and he was in his 40's -- but I get your point on Walmart for sure.

I much prefer Target anyway, so much cleaner and classier, yet the prices always seem totally competitive with Walmart. Hopefully they're not as grimey as Walmart.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Many o9f teh same wo0rkers were on welfare working at local owned stores making less with no health insurance at all and no benefits at all. Local owners were often the riches people in a town because they did not compete with anyone and charged high prices for the same goods wal-mart odes. They still do but not they have to compete. Noone owes anyione else a living asnd its better for pweole to shop for the lowset prices on anyhting. Competition is good. Sears ands the local stores were the first to bring in japnaese goods and even had their own brands on them. They also charged a very high prices for this junk compared to what wal-mart does, I say buy where you like;but just liike american cars peole are not going to buy junk just because its made in the USA.
The above is exactly my point. Wal Mart is just a convenient whipping post.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:07 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
If you've taken your kids to see the Disney/Pixar film Wall-E you can get a chuckle out of the apocalyptic Walmart world.

It is ironic since IMHO Disney has in-itself a similar type of image problem. Disney tries to convey the wholesome Americana image yet it underpays its workers, digs its commercial claws into children shortly after birth, and re-engineers societal values by spinning what would be traditionally be considered moral decay as a progressive improvement for America.

Sorry to be so preachy but Disney is one of the prime reasons I canceled my cable.
well, don't be sorry, you bought some very truthful statements to the table...I do know that Disney doesn't pay very much, yet the big guys have no problem sleeping in their money...

Old 08-13-2008, 06:22 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
I had one Walmart employee complaining since we took some extra bags since he was making them so heavy we were affraid they would tear and the groceries would fall out, so we moved it ourself in other bags while he was still ringing up our groceries. He said we were not allowed to do that and it was only about 3 bags...one because I always want the mil in a seperate bag since with the warm weather the outside of the can will be completely wet and the other grocery packages in the same bag will be wet.
I told him to get a supervisor if he didn't like what we were doing and that we didn't like the way the treated customers. The supervisor came and explained they had a policy about this because people take bags and than walk in the store and take groceries and walk out without paying....I told her and showed we were changing stuff that was way over stuffed and would tear the bags...and she said sorry and the guy would have to allow it ....ever since than we never had a person putting so much stuff in one bag at any of their registers

Old 08-13-2008, 06:29 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I had one Walmart employee complaining since we took some extra bags since he was making them so heavy we were affraid they would tear and the groceries would fall out, so we moved it ourself in other bags while he was still ringing up our groceries. He said we were not allowed to do that and it was only about 3 bags...one because I always want the mil in a seperate bag since with the warm weather the outside of the can will be completely wet and the other grocery packages in the same bag will be wet.
I told him to get a supervisor if he didn't like what we were doing and that we didn't like the way the treated customers. The supervisor came and explained they had a policy about this because people take bags and than walk in the store and take groceries and walk out without paying....I told her and showed we were changing stuff that was way over stuffed and would tear the bags...and she said sorry and the guy would have to allow it ....ever since than we never had a person putting so much stuff in one bag at any of their registers
Good for you!!!!! I've experienced the same problem and manager or not, I won't stand for it....I'm a paying customer and prefer that they don't stuff the bags and make them to heavy....therefore, if they want my business, they'd better accomodate in that department. Those bags are so cheap and burst anyway.

thanks
Creme

Old 08-13-2008, 09:15 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Oh my, what a disgrace, POOR people actually shopping in a store! Don't those POOR people know they don't have any money to be spending? Why, I certainly wouldn't want to be caught dead in a store that POOR people also patronized, especially very POOR people. People might think I'm not rich!
The disgrace of it!
I have nothing against poor people, I'm just shocked by the increasing numbers of them in this country. Back in the early 90s, WalMart seemed about the same as Target or K-Mart. Now it just seems like it's where the poor masses go to shop. I don't totally understand it though, because I don't see any price diference between WM and Target, just that target is nicer and has some higher end items. But for regular staples, prices don't seem any cheaper at WalMart.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:32 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
When comparing prices between Wal-Mart and Target, I think there is a slight savings, pennies, really, on staple items like toilet paper and paper towels, soap and detergent. On the store specific lines such as in clothing or household decorator items, Target is more expensive but has a "cool" factor that Wal-Mart doesn't have. Where I live, the selection of staple items and standard items like make-up or some grocery items or school supplies is better at Wal-Mart (more stock on hand, more brands to choose from); but Target, Wal-Mart and K-Mart have a tremendous variation in stores nationally. I've been appalled at each of these stores at times when I've shopped away from home, so much of a store's appearance and upkeep and staffing depend on the store's individual management. That said, I think the clientele of an individual store is going to vary widely, and that stores are also going to adapt to the customers that patronize them. So a Wal-Mart that has a customer base dominated by people of a lower economic tier are going to have their buying practices reinforced, and a Wal-Mart that is more upscale is responding to the patrons of their store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies