Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 08:44 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,853,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
This "good community citizen" has forced countless local businesses to go under.
And benefited countless others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 08:46 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,170,826 times
Cashiering used to be kinda difficult.....that was before the computerized registers and upc codes became the norm.
I guess the possibility of carpel tunnel syndrome might put it up there in the realm of hazardous duty though.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:48 AM

512 posts, read 712,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Taking your line of reasoning to it's logical conclusion, every business in the country should be not-for-profit, or even take a loss, and exist to make their employees' lives better. Their priority should be in making sure that their employees have everything they need, even if it has to be done to the detriment of the business as a whole.

Sorry, but that's not why businesses get started.

It depends on a lot of things, including the cost of living in the area around the Wal*Mart, the prevailing wage offered by other employers in the region for the same type of work, etc. $8 could be too much if you're in one area, but not even meet the legally mandated minimum wage in another.

Basically, though, yes. I think that you could train a monkey to run a cash register, and that a job such as that isn't really worth a whole lot. People should be paid according to their skills and abilities. What's wrong with that? If you think there's a successful business model in overpaying people, I suggest you draw up a business plan and act on it. Let us know how that goes...
How do you come to the conclusion that paying their employees a bit more would somehow make them have a deficit? They can afford it. It is good business to treat employees well. I have worked for a few small businesses that paid a very good wage with benefits and still made a profit. It is not impossible, so why shouldn't Wal Mart be able to do it?

That job isn't worth a whole lot to you, but to retailers, they would not be running if it werent for those cashiers. Good luck training that monkey!

Old 12-17-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And benefited countless others.
Any examples of these small businesses that were so benefited by Wal Mart?

Old 12-17-2008, 08:53 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,170,826 times
"but to retailers, they would not be running if it werent for those cashiers"

The advent of self-checkouts indicate the level of training needed to do checkout.
Cashiers are useful for a variety of other reasons, mostly speed and convenience to the customer.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:55 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,796,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
fun new study about big boxes legally skimming your sales tax dollars due to outdated slaes tax laws:
http://www.goodjobsfirst.org/pdf/skimming.pdf (broken link)

Well;if you look at other studies there has been skimmnig on sated income by alot of people forever. Its almost a tradition i small business.Isn't legal either just as any cheating on taxes.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:56 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,853,601 times
"Any examples of these small businesses that were so benefited by Wal Mart? "

I'll reiterate Swagger's link, and add the countless trucking companies that move product for Wal-Mart. The construction companies that have built stores and parking lots, and worked on roads, streetlights and other infrastructure. The small businesses that thrive in shopping centers built around Wal-Mart, just thinking of a few local ones like the hair salon, the golf shop, the frame gallery, the kitchenware shop, the moped store. Stores that depend on the traffic and passersby that Wal-Mart generates, on the parking and convenience that Wal-Mart provides.

Our research suggests that the popular belief that Wal-Mart has a significant negative effect on the size of the mom-and-pop business sector of the United States economy is statistically unfounded. After examining a plethora of different measures of small business activity and growth, examining both time series and cross-section data, and employing different geographic levels of data and different econometric techniques, it can be firmly concluded that Wal-Mart has had no significant impact on the overall size and growth of U.S. small business activity.

Has Wal-Mart Buried Mom and Pop?

Old 12-17-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I don't think Sony, Apple, Michelin, Goodyear, Black and Decker, Maytag, General Electric, Rubbermaid, American Greetings, Jello, Dell, Hewlett Packard and so on are made by "slave labor"
I guess 10 cents an hour is not technically slave labor, you're right. I know for a fact that many Sony items are made in China. I don't know for sure about the other ones. Wal Mart gets over 70 percent of its merchandise from China.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:02 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,239,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOKThe1stTime View Post
I know for a fact that many Sony items are made in China.
Then, I have to assume you will not buy a Sony (or Toshiba, Samsung etc) product EVER regardless of the store (Best Buy, Circuit City, Target etc) - for if you do - you are being hypocritical

Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
"Any examples of these small businesses that were so benefited by Wal Mart? "

I'll reiterate Swagger's link, and add the countless trucking companies that move product for Wal-Mart. The construction companies that have built stores and parking lots, and worked on roads, streetlights and other infrastructure. The small businesses that thrive in shopping centers built around Wal-Mart, just thinking of a few local ones like the hair salon, the golf shop, the frame gallery, the kitchenware shop, the moped store. Stores that depend on the traffic and passersby that Wal-Mart generates, on the parking and convenience that Wal-Mart provides.

Our research suggests that the popular belief that Wal-Mart has a significant negative effect on the size of the mom-and-pop business sector of the United States economy is statistically unfounded. After examining a plethora of different measures of small business activity and growth, examining both time series and cross-section data, and employing different geographic levels of data and different econometric techniques, it can be firmly concluded that Wal-Mart has had no significant impact on the overall size and growth of U.S. small business activity.

Has Wal-Mart Buried Mom and Pop?
So WalMart is good for business as long as you are doing something for WalMart. I guess you overlook the damage to the environment that all that transportation from third world countries does. If the products were made in America there would be more jobs and less waste from transport. And where is that article from? I'd like to know. When Wal Mart comes to town small businesses close. I've seen it in my own town and many others. So to say it has no effect is irresponsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies