U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2007, 11:20 PM

137 posts, read 166,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
You know, I can buy the argument of having guns for hunting or home defense.

Which guns would you deem acceptable for hunting and home defense? Can you give us some examples and/or some makes and models?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 11:26 PM

The Rwandan Genocide was the extermination of at least 500,000 ethnic Tutsis and thousands of moderate Hutus in Rwanda,[1] mostly carried out by two extremist Hutu groups, the Interahamwe and the Impuzamugambi, during a period of about 100 days from April 6 through mid-July 1994. Other reports estimate the number of victims between 800,000 and 1,071,000.[citation

What do you think? Would the victims of this genocide have benefited by the private ownership of firearms?

Old 01-30-2007, 11:33 PM

"The slaughter of two million Armenians during World War I was once the world's best known and most abhorred example of genocide. Yet, less than a generation later, Adolph Hitler, preparing for the destruction of Europe's Jews, could say "Who, after all, speaks today of the annihilation of the Armenians?"
If we forget, if we fail to understand the roots of genocide, or if we fail to act, the next century's genocidal toll may be much greater than 170 million. "

Hmm..I guess these folks couldn't find any use of private ownership of guns?

The greatest benefit of an unarmed population is that the government needs to expend less expense in the "removal" of those that may disagree with them.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:36 PM

1,275 posts, read 2,124,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funfaler View Post
The Rwandan Genocide was the extermination of at least 500,000 ethnic Tutsis and thousands of moderate Hutus in Rwanda,[1] mostly carried out by two extremist Hutu groups, the Interahamwe and the Impuzamugambi, during a period of about 100 days from April 6 through mid-July 1994. Other reports estimate the number of victims between 800,000 and 1,071,000.[citation

What do you think? Would the victims of this genocide have benefited by the private ownership of firearms?
Only if they managed to buy them on the cheap at a gun show at the local fair grounds. Did the Rwandan's have fairgrounds? I love funnel cakes at the fairgrounds. Do you think the Rwandans would have also been so hungry if they had funnel cakes?

Has the argument for gun ownership drifted to the Rwandan Genocide for support now? Are all the American history arguments for/against it complete?

Old 01-30-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
The whole idea is teetering on sedition.

I hadn't really been aware until now how philosophically in tune the pro-gun lobby and the Black Panther Party are. Terrifying.

Good to see that you are not prone to "drama"

Old 01-30-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Has the argument for gun ownership drifted to the Rwandan Genocide for support now? Are all the American history arguments for/against it complete?

Plenty of American history to go, thought I would throw in some global experience to spice things up. But I can see your point, 500,000-1,000,000 Rwandans, Millions of Jews, Millions of Cambodians, Millions of Russians, a whole bunch of Turks, a few African Americans in the post Civil War South, these people really have no bearing on the private ownership of firearms. These events can shed no light what so ever on any benefits of "People" having a means to defend themselves.

Is there something in particular, concerning American history, you would like to know?

No, I don't believe that funnel cakes are specifically mentioned in the Constitution, perhaps you could go through the memoirs of Mrs. Washington to see if she gives any insight.

Last edited by funfaler; 01-31-2007 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: to clearify the post

Old 01-31-2007, 12:25 AM

WOW! Can you believe this! The government has been training cilvilians (with emphasis on youth) to shoot rifles, and then allowing them to buy M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, Springfield 1903s, and even giving them bargains on ammo, the horror They are clearly out of their minds, don't they read the papers? http://www.odcmp.com/

Het FFH, what do you think, should citizens be "allowed" to own M1 Garands and M1 Carbines? If I can get you to buy off on those, how about a M1a, there just a slightly modified M1 Garand?

Let me know, I am fueling the car to go to Camp Perry

"The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) promotes firearms safety training and rifle practice for all qualified U.S. citizens with special emphasis on youth. The CMP operates through a network of affiliated shooting clubs and associations that covers every state in the U.S. The clubs and associations offer firearms safety training and marksmanship courses as well as the opportunity for continued practice and competition.

The CMP was created by the U.S. Congress. The original purpose was to provide civilians an opportunity to learn and practice marksmanship skills so they would be skilled marksmen if later called on to serve the U.S. military. Over the years the emphasis of the program shifted to focus on youth development through marksmanship. From 1916 until 1996 the CMP was administered by the U.S. Army."

Last edited by funfaler; 01-31-2007 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: proof reading

Old 01-31-2007, 06:14 PM

752 posts, read 594,054 times
Quote:

Let's look at it this way: if both sides were better armed, do you think fewer people would have died?

Old 01-31-2007, 06:20 PM

752 posts, read 594,054 times
Quote:
Which guns would you deem acceptable for hunting and home defense? Can you give us some examples and/or some makes and models?
Sure. A 12 gauge shotgun, a .308 deer rifle, a good old .22. These are sensible weapons, all. 12 gauge is my choice for home defense.

Makes? Remington, Beretta, Marlin...any gun-shop variety you choose, really.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Sure. A 12 gauge shotgun, a .308 deer rifle, a good old .22. These are sensible weapons, all. 12 gauge is my choice for home defense.

Makes? Remington, Beretta, Marlin...any gun-shop variety you choose, really.

I got a Springfield M1a, in .308, at a gun shop and went deer hunting (got a nice one), is that okay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies