U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2007, 10:26 PM

919 posts, read 1,668,575 times

Advertisements

victims when lawenforcement shoots 50 times spraying bullets everywhere? or when they shoot an unarmed kid with 40 bullets? or crooks that come into a church where everybody is unarmed by Law, and rob them. Or how about the bystanders killed from a 50cal, oops, nobodys been killed by anyone with a legally owned full auto 50cal. hm... why do some of you make unfounded statementes. 600,000 gun victims, NOT, an then go on to another unsubstanciated claim? One closing thought, what other amendment should be repealed? OK, trick question, the answer is NONE. No restrictions on the 1st or any others. Would you repeal womens rights to vote? Of course its all gone wrong since they gave them the right to vote FFH I hate to tell you, but americans do have ROCKETS and are allowed to shoot them 15,000ft into the air. duck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 10:52 PM

11,030 posts, read 18,115,154 times
I've stated just about as much of my opinion that I can but recently having aquired a Swiss surplus K31,I was just browsing for info on its use during WW2 and came across this article.

It is a interesting read.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig2/stagnaro5.html

Old 02-02-2007, 12:59 AM

919 posts, read 1,668,575 times
Default founding fathers view

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; They serve rather to encourge than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
THOMAS JEFFERSON

Old 02-02-2007, 09:26 AM

137 posts, read 166,164 times
Lionking,

Thank you for the link, very interesting and informative.

The lack of "knowledge" of the facts, history and current events of those who wish to disarm Americans, eliminate rights and subvert the Constitution and Bill of Rights, goes beyond just plain ingnorance (as the information is pleantiful and easily accessible) to a willingness to oppress.

Such is the plight of the "easy life" here in America. A government that can give us everything, is also a government that can take everything.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:42 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,473,250 times
I don't have a big stake in this argument, but I'd really like to understand how you can quote Thomas Jefferson, who lived in 1800s and compare his statement to the 21st century.

Surely, something has changed in this country since Jefferson spoke and/or wrote these words.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; They serve rather to encourge than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
THOMAS JEFFERSON

Old 02-02-2007, 11:55 AM

752 posts, read 594,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funfaler View Post
If Mr. Webster or Mr. Coxe have an issue with it, they know how to find me
You don't get off that easy. Published works are copyrighted even after the authors' demise, then it becomes the property of those deriving rights from their work. I'm pretty sure there's a publisher somewhere who'd like to have a word.

But regurgitating prepressed material is a lot easier than thinking it up yourself.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I don't have a big stake in this argument, but I'd really like to understand how you can quote Thomas Jefferson, who lived in 1800s and compare his statement to the 21st century.

Surely, something has changed in this country since Jefferson spoke and/or wrote these words.

Thanks for your indulgence.
Not to mention the fact that he was a slaveholding aristocrat with a thing for captive women.

Sheesh, you'd think these people would've voted for Clinton!

Old 02-02-2007, 12:04 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,473,250 times
Before I was reincarnated into this 21st century American, I was a backwooder in the 1820s. If I didn't have a gun I wouldn't be able to defend myself from human and non-human predators. I carried my rifle with me everywhere and encouraged even the younguns' to learn sharp shooting as early as 7 or 8 years old.

Now that I am this 21st century American, I have discouraged my youngun's to do more than possibly understand how dangerous it is to own and use a gun. Although, occasionally I still go huntin' and like a day at the range.

~ snipped for brevity ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by funfaler View Post
The lack of "knowledge" of the facts, history and current events of those who wish to disarm Americans, eliminate rights and subvert the Constitution and Bill of Rights, goes beyond just plain ingnorance (as the information is pleantiful and easily accessible) to a willingness to oppress.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:19 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,975,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
THOMAS JEFFERSON
Did Jefferson feel that blacks in the early US should also have guns to protect themselves from being enslaved and killed?

Old 02-02-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Did Jefferson feel that blacks in the early US should also have guns to protect themselves from being enslaved and killed?
The most insightful post in this whole thread. Please stick around majoun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies