U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-26-2007, 02:28 AM
 
1,330 posts, read 4,545,743 times
Reputation: 476

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
I'll try this alittle more. Since car registration has been compared to gun registration lets try this. Are you folks against all gun ownership or just certain types?
OK, I'll bite. I am not against ownership of ANY gun so long as it is registered and that high cap firearms be registered to someone who has undergone a little more in-depth investigation and a training class.

Quite frankly a good marksman can be deadly with about any firearm. What we have to fear is the skill level/responsibility/motivation of the personal in charge of that firearm.

Some yahoo with an AR-15 does not sound good in my book. An experienced trustworthy citizen - fine. I actually enjoy shooting the AR with target barrel it is loads of fun. But it is what it is, a weapon capable of suppression and in the wrong hands it can be a real mess! If I had a dime for everytime I have seen someone at the range "sweep" a gun towards another person with the safety off I would be able to buy lunch at MC Donalds for my family.

It is an either/or thing for me. Either ALL guns are allowed or all guns are not allowed. WHO is allowed to own what is a different story - just like all citizens are not given a top secret security clearance not everyone should have the privelage of owning an AR or similar gun.

If I ruled the roost I would push for a national ID card and for a specific bill securing gun owners rights - and outlining their responsibilities. Then concentrate on clean up of those guns who have slipped through the cracks and are used for "evil" .
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2007, 02:34 AM
 
137 posts, read 166,285 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
No one spoke against anyone's right to own a gun. Registering a gun and "they taking our guns", are not synonymous.

Wise up.
Yea, you are probably right, no one could find any reason to think that gun confiscation is possible, not in America. Nope, not a concern at all. Wisdom is setting in. I am sure it will take soon.......


At the orders of New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, the New Orleans Police, the National Guard, the Oklahoma National Guard, and U.S. Marshals have begun breaking into homes at gunpoint, confiscating their lawfully-owned firearms, and evicting the residents. "No one is allowed to be armed. We're going to take all the guns," says P. Edwin Compass III, the superintendent of police.

Defenseless On the Bayou
New Orleans gun confiscation is foolish and illegal

David B. Kopel | September 10, 2005
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2007, 02:41 AM
 
137 posts, read 166,285 times
Reputation: 27
It really does boil down to "Control". Either we are Free People, or we are subjects to be contolled by the government.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
Texas State Rep. Suzanna Gratia-Hupp


Those who wish to contol others have to get the firearms out of their victims hands, then they can have their way with them. That might be a criminal or the government, but either way, if the citizens are disarmed, they are victims.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2007, 02:46 AM
 
137 posts, read 166,285 times
Reputation: 27
I do find it interesting that those who want control over others, say it is because the "others" are yahoos or incapable. It is always the other person's fault that they need to be controlled. "I know what is best for you", is not the attitude of Free people. Tyranny, it is the feeling of the new generation.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2007, 12:16 PM
 
Location: FLORIDA
22 posts, read 27,493 times
Reputation: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
OK, I'll bite. I am not against ownership of ANY gun so long as it is registered and that high cap firearms be registered to someone who has undergone a little more in-depth investigation and a training class.

Quite frankly a good marksman can be deadly with about any firearm. What we have to fear is the skill level/responsibility/motivation of the personal in charge of that firearm.

Some yahoo with an AR-15 does not sound good in my book. An experienced trustworthy citizen - fine. I actually enjoy shooting the AR with target barrel it is loads of fun. But it is what it is, a weapon capable of suppression and in the wrong hands it can be a real mess! If I had a dime for everytime I have seen someone at the range "sweep" a gun towards another person with the safety off I would be able to buy lunch at MC Donalds for my family.

It is an either/or thing for me. Either ALL guns are allowed or all guns are not allowed. WHO is allowed to own what is a different story - just like all citizens are not given a top secret security clearance not everyone should have the privelage of owning an AR or similar gun.

If I ruled the roost I would push for a national ID card and for a specific bill securing gun owners rights - and outlining their responsibilities. Then concentrate on clean up of those guns who have slipped through the cracks and are used for "evil" .
And while we are it why dont we stick a leash up everyones **s and make them obey the masters every command.We then can stick GPS chips in everyone so we know where they are 24-7 and make them wear a obediance collar that shocks anyone who has a bad thought about the leader or curses about any thing related to the rules.And also put a camera in every house and bathrooms so they can see what they are doing in private 24-7.
Also everyone gets a barcode on their forehead and arms and all of their personal info is stored in the barcode and chip inside the person.So all the have to do is laser scan the bar code and the police will know exactly who that person is.And all the info is stored and registered in a data process bank where everyones info and barcodes are stored.
Gun ownership will be restricted to the point where only rich people and government people can own them everyone else can only go to a supervised government range and can only shoot for 1 hour and then they must leave.
If they find that you have mental disabilities they will send you to a asylum and never let you out.Screw registration I do what the ***k I want I am tired of being displayed as some killer or terrorist just because I have a "scary looking gun" or its not registered and the same happens to the rest of the law abiding gun owners.I am a free man and I want to be able to freely buy any gun with no hassle or B******t from anyone and I want to be able to defend myself and family without being arrested because I defended myself the right way.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2007, 01:15 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 4,545,743 times
Reputation: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by funfaler View Post
It really does boil down to "Control". Either we are Free People, or we are subjects to be contolled by the government.
True, but no government control means anarchy. Too much means tyrrany. Control needs to be balanced and fair to the majority.

FYI - yahoo is not directed at all gun owners or all who own AR's (did you miss that I used to shoot an AR-15, why would I call myself a yahoo?) You know darn well what a "yahoo" is. Someone who goes to a range, shoots it full of brass missing the target 9 out of 10 times and struts away without cleaning up his mess. YAHOO.

Last edited by winnie; 02-26-2007 at 01:30 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2007, 01:25 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 4,545,743 times
Reputation: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxx99 View Post
And while we are it why dont we stick a leash up everyones **s and make them obey the masters every command.We then can stick GPS chips in everyone so we know where they are 24-7 and make them wear a obediance collar that shocks anyone who has a bad thought about the leader or curses about any thing related to the rules.And also put a camera in every house and bathrooms so they can see what they are doing in private 24-7.
Also everyone gets a barcode on their forehead and arms and all of their personal info is stored in the barcode and chip inside the person.So all the have to do is laser scan the bar code and the police will know exactly who that person is.And all the info is stored and registered in a data process bank where everyones info and barcodes are stored.
Gun ownership will be restricted to the point where only rich people and government people can own them everyone else can only go to a supervised government range and can only shoot for 1 hour and then they must leave.
If they find that you have mental disabilities they will send you to a asylum and never let you out.Screw registration I do what the ***k I want I am tired of being displayed as some killer or terrorist just because I have a "scary looking gun" or its not registered and the same happens to the rest of the law abiding gun owners.I am a free man and I want to be able to freely buy any gun with no hassle or B******t from anyone and I want to be able to defend myself and family without being arrested because I defended myself the right way.
If you have read most of my posts you will find I am quite "pro gun".

I don't find "assault weapons" scary, nor do I find armed citizens scary.

I also think once you have "registered" you should no longer have to wait to buy a gun and your rights should be guaranteed for life so long as you remain law abiding and mentally healthy.

What I find scary is people thinking 100% of the people in this country should have this right to bear arms. You are speaking from the point of view of a law abiding citizen and it is typical knee jerk response. But ask yourself: Should the government allow people with mental diseases carry guns? How about alzheimer's disease? Or people who have committed a violent crime and now are out of jail? Should they have the same rights you do? Law abiding gun owners get a black eye from all the dingbats in this world, like one special idiot who shot his wife trying to clean his gun (my teacher's husband), or "accidently" shot a hole in the car door because he did not know their finger was on the trigger (actual story from neighbor). Ever had some idiot "accidently" shoot at you at a range? Still think these people deserve to own a gun?

Last edited by winnie; 02-26-2007 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: change wording...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2007, 01:35 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 4,545,743 times
Reputation: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by funfaler View Post
Yea, you are probably right, no one could find any reason to think that gun confiscation is possible, not in America. Nope, not a concern at all. Wisdom is setting in. I am sure it will take soon.......


At the orders of New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, the New Orleans Police, the National Guard, the Oklahoma National Guard, and U.S. Marshals have begun breaking into homes at gunpoint, confiscating their lawfully-owned firearms, and evicting the residents. "No one is allowed to be armed. We're going to take all the guns," says P. Edwin Compass III, the superintendent of police.

Defenseless On the Bayou
New Orleans gun confiscation is foolish and illegal

David B. Kopel | September 10, 2005
They were wrong for doing that. But was that incident an issue of a tyrranical governemnt changing laws and coming to take guns, or was that incident spurred on because of a total FAILURE of government at the most basic levels which resulted in anarchy in NO?

Were the people ever given back their guns?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2007, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,696 posts, read 35,512,708 times
Reputation: 2147483647
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
They were wrong for doing that. But was that incident an issue of a tyrranical governemnt changing laws and coming to take guns, or was that incident spurred on because of a total FAILURE of government at the most basic levels which resulted in anarchy in NO?

Were the people ever given back their guns?
No, most people were not given back their guns. Nagel has been brought up on contempt of court twice because he has not given them back.

Imagine some of these are old antique keepsakes that was passed on from generation to generation and now have no possibility of return

Just out of curiosity Winnie, have you ever fired an assault rifle?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2007, 02:43 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 4,545,743 times
Reputation: 476
Nagin should be ashamed of his actions. Especially for the antiques. Looks like those poor people are not going to get back their guns. How can a mayor be held in contempt of court and still allowed to govern? That is rediculous!

About the so called "assault rifle" (I hate that term ) yes I have. I am no pro with firearms but I do enjoy target practice once in awhile and know my basics in gun maintenance and safety. Learned from a very young age. DH used to have an AR-15 with a target barrel. I found it quite enjoyable. I am not a bad shot - with the little 22 rifle I had I was picking off brass casings at 100 yards and at our old range I was plinking small sillouettes at 100+ yards. So I am a beginner..yes. Not good with handguns as I have a ganglion in my wrist which makes shooting very painful but if need be I can suck it up for awhile. Used to be out favorite "date" - Saturday at the shooting range out in NM with a couple sodas and subs.

And I have to add: we ALWAYS picked up our mess after we went shooting. One of my pet peeves is when people go out to a range, tear it up and pack up their gun and leave.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top