Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 10:33 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,574,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Political correctness rules the road in Atlanta — which is replacing all its "Men at Work" signs with gender-neutral ones after a women's magazine editor complained of bias.
The project, which involves painting over the existing 50 "Men at Work" and "Men Working" signs with those that say simply "Workers Ahead" or "Workers," will cost a total of $1,000, Atlanta Public Works Commissioner Joe Basista told FOXNews.com.
Damn, I'm so sick of the PC police and their idiotic BS in the name of "equality" that I'm considering converting to Islam and taking up Sharea Law!

FOXNews.com - Atlanta Stripped of 'Men at Work' Signs After Complaints of Bias - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 10:47 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,510,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Damn, I'm so sick of the PC police and their idiotic BS in the name of "equality" that I'm considering converting to Islam and taking up Sharea Law!

FOXNews.com - Atlanta Stripped of 'Men at Work' Signs After Complaints of Bias - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
A number of years ago, a large Northern California city was faced with a similar lawsuit. Its wastewater collection system included THOUSANDS of manholes, and of course there were HUNDREDS of copies of the system blueprints, in service trucks, offices, etc etc etc....and EACH manhole was assigned a number, beginning with "MH".

Needless to say, this was objected to on 'sexist' grounds...so naturally, a suit was filed, and the city was faced with the nightmarishly expensive prospect of changing the many written records to a less sexist term...AND re-doing the thousands of pages of blueprints to reflect the new 'PC' designation.

Finally, common sense kicked in. To his GREAT credit, one of the City's engineers suggested changing the official designation to "Maintenance Hole". The name was changed, a few printed descriptions had to be re-done....but the SERIAL NUMBERS with the "MH" stayed the same, the blueprints 'stayed', and sanity prevailed once more...until next time, at least.

But it was "touch and go" there for a while !.....

BY THE WAY...when I first read your 'story line', I instantly assumed "Men at Work" was a slap at the Unemployed, NOT at women. Maybe Atlanta should have TWO lawsuits !..

Old 07-10-2008, 10:49 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,794,115 times
I don't know why they give in to these PC-feminists-freaks.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:01 PM

8,772 posts, read 10,175,047 times
And to think, that money could be used for something useful, like helping less fortunate famlies. It sickens me that people will complain and sue about the most harmless stuff, stuff I may add that no one gives a darn about, stuff like this, and then everyone pays for it. Shame on this person.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:04 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,383,725 times
Political correctness will be our ultimate undoing...

Old 07-10-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I don't know why they give in to these PC-feminists-freaks.
Money!!! Plain and simple!

Old 07-10-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Political correctness will be our ultimate undoing...
PC "will be our ultimate undoing"? Think again, it already is and the majority is permitting a small minority of disgruntled feminists and their ilk to push our faces to the ground and then grind them in the dirt all in the name of a "neutral society"!

Old 07-10-2008, 11:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,137,120 times
Hey..it's not only feminists. Here's an objection to the term "Black Hole" by a Texas county commissioner.

Dallas Commissioner is offended over "black hole" remark - [domain blocked due to spam]

Old 07-11-2008, 12:09 AM

8,862 posts, read 11,647,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Hey..it's not only feminists. Here's an objection to the term "Black Hole" by a Texas county commissioner.

Dallas Commissioner is offended over "black hole" remark - [domain blocked due to spam]
LOL. Funny stuff!!! The guy probably never learned what the term "black hole" means. Even his bro, a judge, joined him. No doubt products of Affirmative Action. I am glad the white dude stood up for himself. What would they object to next? Black coffee? Black Monday? Black Friday?

Old 07-11-2008, 12:56 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,882,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

What an embarrassment to the human race. That guy should be ashamed of himself and the disgrace he brought upon the commission for being so damn ignorant. What a fool. I cannot believe this guy took offense to a scientific term. Incredible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies