Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 03:08 PM

194 posts, read 361,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Fierce, I posted links to the deceitfulness of the anti-choice images.
They choose not to view them or acknowledge the deceit.
I looked at them alright and I've never seen a bigger load of crap in my life! Take a look in a biology book to see what unborn babies look like in the womb, then imagine what those same babies would look like after being sucked apart. That's what graphic pictures of abortion look like- there's no deceit in that! Deceit is what goes on in the minds of people who deny the humanity of the unborn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 03:21 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
Quote:
No, you are expelling a fetus from your body.
I do not believe I was a human until I took my first breath on my own.
Do not tell me what I believe or not.
Well, science would disagree with your beliefs. That's the problem. There are beliefs that make us feel warm and fuzzy, and there's reality. The reality is that a fetus begins to develop a brain, spinal cord, and heart at about 3 weeks. It's likely that, given those developments, it can feel pain even at that early stage. Not only that, but since we wait until people are brain dead to declare them dead, why not declare them alive once the brain forms?

If it's not a human before it's born, what is it? A fish? The fetus can't become anything else but human, and it IS human. That's what demonstrations like this are trying to make people confront. It's more than a "choice." It's a human life.

Quote:
If I ever got pregnant, I'd eliminate it in a second.
I would not be a fit parent; I have no reason to breed.

If you get pregnant, don't abort, pretty simple doncha think?
Adopted or fostered any kids?
Rather than "eliminate it," why not make more careful choices to avoid the possibility in the first place? And if you do get pregnant, yes, there are thousands of childless couples waiting to adopt and love a child. I was adopted, and my wife and I plan to adopt in a few years. But that's not even the point ... when an abortion defender asks someone else if they've ever fostered or adopted, they're trying to shift the burden of responsibility onto someone else, when it was never someone else's responsibility in the first place. Once again, actions have consequences.

Abort all you want, but don't pretend that you aren't causing suffering to another being, or that it's someone else's duty to take care of the child you chose to conceive.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:26 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Well, science would disagree with your beliefs. That's the problem. There are beliefs that make us feel warm and fuzzy, and there's reality. The reality is that a fetus begins to develop a brain, spinal cord, and heart at about 3 weeks. It's likely that, given those developments, it can feel pain even at that early stage. Not only that, but since we wait until people are brain dead to declare them dead, why not declare them alive once the brain forms?

If it's not a human before it's born, what is it? A fish? The fetus can't become anything else but human, and it IS human. That's what demonstrations like this are trying to make people confront. It's more than a "choice." It's a human life.

Rather than "eliminate it," why not make more careful choices to avoid the possibility in the first place? And if you do get pregnant, yes, there are thousands of childless couples waiting to adopt and love a child. I was adopted, and my wife and I plan to adopt in a few years. But that's not even the point ... when an abortion defender asks someone else if they've ever fostered or adopted, they're trying to shift the burden of responsibility onto someone else, when it was never someone else's responsibility in the first place. Once again, actions have consequences.

Abort all you want, but don't pretend that you aren't causing suffering to another being, or that it's someone else's duty to take care of the child you chose to conceive.
Another wonderful post YoAdrian!

Old 07-20-2008, 03:42 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
What a world we live in: That seeing pictures of abortions could be a bigger travesty than the act itself; a gov't sanctioned killing of ones own kind. Abortion is the pinnacle of the evilness humans are capable of.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:09 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Let's see a link to this "fact" because that's not what I read, you can read one of my links that disputes this "fact" of the anti-choice crowd. You might want to research a bit before you present opinion as fact. You might want to try something other than "ingenesis" for your medical information.

STAGES OF DEVELOPMENT from ovum/sperm to newborn baby
26 weeks or 6 months: The fetus 14" long and almost two pounds. The lungs' bronchioles develop. Interlinking of the brain's neurons begins. The higher functions of the fetal brain turn on for the first time. Some rudimentary brain waves can be detected. The fetus will be able to feel pain for the first time. It has become conscious of its surroundings. The fetus has become a sentient human life for the first time.

Hoyden-About-Town: Fetal Brain Development: Myths and Disinformation

Margaret Sykes: The assertion is made over and over again that "fetal brain activity" has been observed or "fetal brain waves" have been measured at 40, 43, or 45 days, or at 6 weeks after fertilization. You can find the claim in "pro-life" and sometimes even nonmedical pro-choice literature. Sometimes a reference is cited, but most often not. This false information has passed into the general understanding about fetal development and is simply stated as fact. It is however a factoid instead, which is the name for a statement repeated often enough that people accept it as truth, though it's not.

When people, including physicians, talk about "brain waves" and "brain activity" they are referring to organized activity in the cortex. While no embryo or fetus has ever been found to have "brain waves," extensive EEG studies have been done on premature babies. A very good summary of their findings can be found in Pain and its effects in the human neonate and fetus," a review article (often cited by "pro-lifers" writing about fetal pain, but not about brain development) by K.J.S. Anand, a leading researcher on pain in newborns, and P.R. Hickey, published in NEJM:

"Functional maturity of the cerebral cortex is suggested by fetal and neonatal electroencephalographic patterns...First, intermittent electroencephalograpic bursts in both cerebral hemispheres are first seen at 20 weeks gestation; they become sustained at 22 weeks and bilaterally synchronous at 26 to 27 weeks."

Much more at link.

MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia: Fetal development

Fetal Development Month by Month shows the development with a nice little description on the right side.

Quote:
Still disagree, it is not life. I was careless with my words about the human part, albeit it has the same characteristics of most life at the onset, not just human.

4 weeks: The embryo is now about 1/5" long. It looks something like a tadpole. The structure that will develop into a head is visible, as is a noticeable tail. The embryo has structures like the gills of a fish in the area that will later develop into a throat.

Quote:
Because it’s my choice to eliminate it if I choose.

I disagree with you.
If you’re telling me that I should do x, y, and z and you don’t practice what you tell me to do, then you lose credibility.
“Do as I say, not as I do” doesn’t work for me. That’s the hypocrisy that I gave religion up for.

Quote:
I’m very confused about this statement.
Once again, your medical knowledge is a bit lax. When you can come up with something and it’s been peer reviewed and accepted (similar to the links I’ve been posting), then you can make these statements. Right now, your credibility keeps slipping.

I’m not choosing to conceive, and if I do, it’s going to be eliminated/aborted quickly.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:17 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
I’m not choosing to conceive, .
THANK GOD FOR THIS - the thought of you being a mother is one of, if not the most, scary things to even contemplate!

Last edited by Greatday; 07-20-2008 at 05:12 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 04:18 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
A human egg and sperm will only result in one outcome, a human, there is no point in time it is anything other than human life.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:21 PM

194 posts, read 361,876 times
Quote:
Still disagree, it is not life. I was careless with my words about the human part, albeit it has the same characteristics of most life at the onset, not just human.
If something is biologically growing then it is alive. Two human parents create human offspring. Therefore, an unborn baby is human life!

Old 07-20-2008, 04:33 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Yes, roaddog, I said I was careless with my wording.

Of course, you didn't/can't refute the science I linked to, although I doubt you bothered to even click on the links because there's more than 9 minutes worth of reading there.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:39 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Yes, roaddog, I said I was careless with my wording.

Of course, you didn't/can't refute the science I linked to, although I doubt you bothered to even click on the links because there's more than 9 minutes worth of reading there.
It was a general comment, not directed to you, notice there was no quote.
Your smart assed comments are not really needed, they are very childish and immature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies