Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you favor or oppose cuttuing funds from the space program? What would the $ go for?
Yes, I FAVOR CUTTING the wasteful space program and use money elsewhere/tax cut. 6 12.77%
Yes, I FAVOR CUTTING the wasteful space program and use money to pay National Debt. 6 12.77%
No, I OPPOSE cutting the space program. 33 70.21%
I favor ONLY cutting part of the space program costs and save taxpayers the funds or use $ elsewhere. 2 4.26%
I am not sure / don't know. 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 07:29 AM

439 posts, read 1,242,259 times

Advertisements

While the Chinese are exploring the galaxy, America will be on its knees and left behind. There goes our competive edge in the space business. The shuttle retires in 2 years. My hope is that we continue investing into space and not let China become the future leaders in space. NASA is a 0.5 percent of the US budget. That's nothing. Space exploration and the technological benefits we get from it are not "luxury excesses."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 04:59 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,940 times
I wish a candidate for the 2016 election would announce a plan to cut the space program/NASA or privatize it. I've never understood how it can help us TODAY, right now, to find out if life ever existed on Mars, if there are active volcanoes or snowstorms on Jupiter, or even if a meteorite is about to hit. If it hits, it hits, and we'll all be annihilated anyway.

We use massive funds to build rocket after rocket only to watch them malfunction or crash and some of which have killed brilliant-minded astronauts.

Sure, it's "exciting" to explore the unknown, but people still have to go back to a sinking economy and a lousy existence on Earth.

And please...no one mention Ted Cruz!

Old 06-14-2015, 05:13 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I've never understood how it can help us TODAY, right now

Who cares if it helps you today, right now.

Space exploration is one of the few things government does of any lasting value and only a tiny fraction of the budget is devoted to it anyway.

Quote:
We use massive funds to build rocket after rocket
Do we build any rockets for the manned space program now? Obama already killed the main program that was intended to take us to Mars in the next decade.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:53 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
I want you to understand something, or at least start looking into it,
because whats transpired over the last 30 or so years is that NASA
is no longer the means by which the real space program is implemented.
NASA's role has changed. Remember that NASA is the publicly controlled
and operated arm of the aerospace industry. Everything it does is facilitated
by public funds - think in terms not of money, but of visibility and accountability.
That's what they could no longer tolerate after the Apollo missions and the
Space Shuttles. Those technologies are antiquated.
The real space program is black. That means its secretly funded in black projects
that are top secret - not public like NASA is. NASA exists now as a disinformation
machine to conceal the real space program.
The US and British space programs are on a need-to-know basis only. They will
not make public or share their projects with the general public anymore.
The real space program doesn't need public funds on the visible level. It is funded
by dark money that is not accounted for in the public books.
They have space vehicles which the public refers to as "UFOs" - that are actually
anti-gravity craft. The technology is already old now but it's not allowed in the public realm.
There is a fleet of cigar-shaped UFOs called Solar Warden that was developed to maintain
and control humanity's reach into space, far above the satellites, it has to be secret so
other governments and interests are not allowed to know its details. Space hegemony
is essential because electro-magnetic and scalar frequencies have massive abilities.
There are also very powerful people who do not want public access to interstellar travel
or moon/mars bases - that is the realm for the elite to escape this planet, not for all.
There are no aliens. There are only man-made secret projects which the public hasn't
been privy to, so as to be reduced to seeing them as "UFOs". This has been transpiring
since the 1940s and started with Operation Paperclip where the top Nazi space scientists
who developed anti-gravity along with American scientists who obtained the secrets of
Nikola Tesla and Thomas Townsend Brown and Otis T. Carr among others.
The Space Shuttles served their purpose for a while as satellites were installed in Earth
orbit for communications, but once that sector became commonplace for all countries,
the US space workings went totally underground. They are not in any way hampered by
or managed by politicians, including presidents anymore. This is why Bill Clinton plainly
stated that there's a secret government within the government that he doesn't control, and
he said this in reference to UFOs.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:49 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun2Day View Post
Would you FAVOR or OPPOSE cutting funding for space program/mission-to-nowhere to cut spending/use $ elsewhere?

If a Presidential candidate said they'd cut that enormously WASTEFUL space program, like investing in crap like the "International Space Station", which have absolutely NO PURPOSE OR USE WHATSOEVER, would you be more favorable or un-favorable towards that candidate?

Why?

What would you use the funds for?? Energy development? Education? Lower taxes? Or just save the taxpayers money??
The space program has returned many dollars for every dollar spent. It is completely foolish and displays abysmal ignorance to describe it as wasteful.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:55 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
We reap a great many technological rewards from thee Space Program....

Old 06-14-2015, 07:03 AM

258 posts, read 157,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Privatize it !

The Air Force space program does such a better and more organized job (with more efficient rockets and equipment), let them represent the government owned portion and leave the rest to privatization!
That post actually changed my mind a bit. NASA appears to have become politicized in odd directions (being used as a PR tool for 'diversity' aims, school teachers in space, a big chunk of it's budget going into research that is properly NOAA's, etc.) that you can make a case for either starting over or just militarizing the whole thing. While I'm in favor of big-deal astronomy and the planetary work they've done, I'd vastly prefer the NASA focus to be placed more on the engineering problems for manned space flight....space habitats, vehicles, basic propulsion research, etc. The primary point should be the permanent movement of humans off-planet.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:49 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,890 times
Umm, no. If anything, we should increase the budget. A lot of technical advances in technology, medical, science have come from the space program. There are things you use every day that have some direct correlation to the space program. Every dollar spent has come back in so many different ways. It is the one thing pushing society. On top of all that, it's really cool!

Old 06-14-2015, 09:52 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
Umm, no. If anything, we should increase the budget. A lot of technical advances in technology, medical, science have come from the space program. There are things you use every day that have some direct correlation to the space program. Every dollar spent has come back in so many different ways. It is the one thing pushing society. On top of all that, it's really cool!
As long as we get NASA out of the Global Warming propaganda business and a futile effort to emphasize the contribution of Muslims to US science and technology. Of course that's just the Obama regimes perversion of what has been a great institution.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:01 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
I favor cutting MANY programs, but not the space program. I am, however, in favor of sending our corrupt politicians on a space trip! One way ticket is all they need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies