Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 05:25 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
How about the fact I don't agree with your choice to be a christian, does that give me the right to spit in your face as you leave church??
no kidding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 05:29 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,731 times
I wonder what harm does gay marriage cause to conservatives. It seems like once it's been approved, straight couples will be forced to convert to homosexuality and marry same-sex people!

Old 07-13-2008, 05:43 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
No excuses, spitting on people is horrible. But they are going out on a limb by having a 'civil union ceremony'... what a bunch of bull... That's not exactly a normal affair, I don't care if you are from California. Nowhere in the sacred history of marriage does it say its okay for two men or two women to get married. That it, finito.
So tell me, who would Jesus hate? Who would Jesus spit on?
Why does the loving relationship of two adults have anything to do with you?

Sacred history of marriage? With the divorce rate being 50%, how sacred is it? U.S. divorce rates: for various faith groups, age groups and geographical areas

Denomination (in order of decreasing divorce rate)

% who have been divorced
Non-denominational ** 34%
Baptists - 29%
Mainline Protestants - 25%
Mormons - 24%
Catholics - 21%
Lutherans - 21%

Variation in divorce rates by religion:
Religion - % have been divorced
Jews - 30%
Born-again Christians - 27%
Other Christians - 24%
Atheists, Agnostics - 21%

Old 07-13-2008, 07:21 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Did the protester get arrested?

Old 07-13-2008, 08:48 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
They think it's normal. Just because you personally don't find something to be a normal affair, doesn't mean it isn't completely normal to someone else. I don't think eating sushi is normal (ewwwe), but I can name a bunch of my friends who do. Why do you care what someone else does, when it absolutely doesn't affect you personally in any way, shape, or form?
Some people feel incest is normal too. Dont make it so. Normal has nothing to do with thought process, its got to do with reality. 2 men getting married isn't normal. I dont care if they do but it does effect every one of us personally. Thats why its so important to the gay community. They want to be normal but theyre not & gay marriage gives them a shallow pretense of normalcy. They want my kids & everyone else to grow up accepting what is basically sexual deviancy as normal because they cant accept the fact, or wont accept the fact they simply have issues.

Quote:
What "it" are you referring to? The Bible? I'm agnostic and I got married. I don't believe in God (or any other deity), but I consider my marriage to be important. My husband and I banned the G-word from being mentioned during our outdoor secular ceremony, but I don't think it makes our marriage any less valid than a religious couple's. Why would a gay marriage be any different than my marriage, if your only qualification of marriage is that it be "sacred?"
If you cant see the difference between heterosexual marriage & homosexual marriage you need some biology lessons. Its got little to do with God but everything to do with simple social values & reality.

Quote:
If the "it" you're referring to is the "idea" of marriage (and not the Bible), where exactly does "it" say that it's not ok for two men or two women to get married?
Well since the definition of marriage is a social contract between a MAN & a WOMAN theres not much need to say its not between two men is there.

I'm sorry these people got spat at but I'd bet money they knew they were creating controversy & that, as much as any desire to get married, fueled their desire to go ahead with it.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:55 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,909 times
Folks, let's get rid of state recognition of marriage altogether. It would cut down on bureaucracy and save the taxpayers money. Two people living together could simply be considered a civil union de facto without the need for any sort of civil union license or registration, regardless of what they consider it or their church considers it. If there are kids, let the courts deal with it in the same manner they do under the current system. If there are no kids, everything should come down to a legal contract held by the two in the event of separation.

Problem solved (at least a large part of it).

Old 07-13-2008, 08:56 AM

502 posts, read 1,066,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I'm sorry these people got spat at but I'd bet money they knew they were creating controversy & that, as much as any desire to get married, fueled their desire to go ahead with it.
It's arrogance to think you understand the motivations of others who you so clearly don't wish to understand.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:37 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
I have never understood why the fear of homosexual marriage. For those that argue that 'it is against their religion', well guess what? Your church will not marry gays thus your religion is still 'pure'. If your beef is that the state will recognize gay marriage --- well, there is a little thing called seperation of church and state i.e. your religion should have no bearing on what laws are made and enforced.
It is very simple.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:04 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Did the protester get arrested?
That was my first question. No. The police were present but primarily trying to maintain a barrier between protesters and those getting married to prevent a direct assault and on preventing gun violence.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:05 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I have never understood why the fear of homosexual marriage. For those that argue that 'it is against their religion', well guess what? Your church will not marry gays thus your religion is still 'pure'. If your beef is that the state will recognize gay marriage --- well, there is a little thing called seperation of church and state i.e. your religion should have no bearing on what laws are made and enforced.
It is very simple.
See my new thread on homosexuality of homophobes. We may be dealing with the most extreme of those repressing their own homosexuality, or that of their spouse, which explains their vehement irrationality. It's really very sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies