U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 02:38 PM

1,275 posts, read 2,125,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhtoCo91 View Post
Also, there seems to be a difference in what a Republican can say in public, versus a Democrat. Tom Tancredo was harassed for pointing out that Miami appeared like a third world city. He wasn't trying to insult anyone, just point out an observation. Yet, a Democratic legislator can say that Condoleeza Rice is not qualified for her job because she has never been married or had kids. Can you imagine the uproar if a Republican had said that?
What democrat said that? Or are you referring to a comment that Laura Bush said regarding Condaleeza running for president?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 02:54 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,486,648 times
Actually in recent hearings the question was asked if Ms. Rice had children--it was never said or even implied that she couldn't do her job because she wasn't a mother--the implication was that she may not be able to empathize or sympathize with a mother...: I believe it was Barbara Boxer that asked the question during the recent Foreign Relations hearings (January 18, or thereabouts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
What democrat said that? Or are you referring to a comment that Laura Bush said regarding Condaleeza running for president?

Last edited by ontheroad; 01-19-2007 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: added text

Old 01-19-2007, 03:03 PM

1,275 posts, read 2,125,788 times
ontheroad, thank you for that information. It was interesting that the prior poster provided information on the individual, the statement, and the context of the statement for the repub but for the dem they provided an opinion without context, no identification of who stated it, but tried to show a double standard. Can you really compare the two? However someone with the same belief as the poster will read it, not question it, believe it, and repeat it verbatim with no reference or provide context.

Last edited by madicarus2000; 01-19-2007 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-19-2007, 03:12 PM

1,393 posts, read 872,133 times
Default Step Up

I believe if more people like JJG & mark6052 stepped forward and said let's move on we would all get over it. Show the people who keep pushing the wedge between whites,blacks,native Americans that we want too move on and they will have no support. Too many people like the chaos!!!

Old 01-19-2007, 03:15 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,486,648 times
I suppose to some extent that is why I took the extra few minutes to look it up. I had seen part of the hearings, and knew that Ms. Rice had been questioned extensively (about the increase of troops to Iraq) and that this questioning of her motherhood was later talked about on some news channels (I don't watch TV and rely heavily on the internet channels). Ms. Rice was in fact offended by this question--one she may have felt was too personal but which Ms. Boxer thought relevant.

And, yes, comments without context, often repeated, are not uncommon

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
ontheroad, thank you for that information. It was interesting that the prior poster provided information on the individual, the statement, and the context of the statement for the repub but for the dem they provided an opinion without context, no identification of who stated it, but tried to show a double standard. Can you really compare the two? However someone with the same belief as the poster will read it, not question it, believe it, and repeat it verbatim with no reference or provide context.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:31 PM

69 posts, read 362,048 times
Dd714, you are so right! Slavery is not unique to the US and many people owned slaves. Even Africans owned (and still do) other Africans. Should the descendants of the African slave trades (the chiefs who sold their own people to Americans) apologize too? See how crazy that sounds.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:46 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,030,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbeard5 View Post
Here in Virginia there as been a furor over remarks made by a delegate in the Virginia Legislature about the Commonwealth formally apoligizing for slavery this year in celebration of the 400th anniversary of the founding of Jamestown.

In short, he said that "blacks should get over slavery" because no one living in Virginia today had anything to do with it and likening it to making Jews apoligize for "killing Christ".

What are your thoughts?

I've included the link to the Washington Post article.

Keep it civil people!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...011600995.html

I absolutely agree with the delegate. People need to get over the whole slavery issue. Racism will not die until people are actually over that. In my opinion black people walk around with a big chip on their shoulder because their ancestors were slaves - not somebody they have ever known personally mind you. My family didn't have anything to do with it so not giving me the hostility and attitude about it would wonderful.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:22 PM

24 posts, read 13,074 times
There is absolutely no need to apologize for slavery because no American today was a slave and furthermore descendants of slaves today benefit because they aren't starving in some war-torn third world country living in a hut.

The United States only had 500k slaves shipped over, compared to over 4 million in Brazil and 2 million to Spain's colonies. Are they apologizing?

Furthermore, the Arab slave trade (enslaving Blacks and Whites) rivaled the European one in scope and came before it.

Slavery has existed in Africa literally since the dawn of time but because of no written language or wheel they didn't document it. Slavery STILL exists in Africa and it was only recently several countries moved to outlaw it.

European societies, the United States included, are progressive in that they were some of the first to actually outlaw slavery.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:31 PM

17,449 posts, read 23,003,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las Vegas Dude View Post
There is absolutely no need to apologize for slavery because no American today was a slave and furthermore descendants of slaves today benefit because they aren't starving in some war-torn third world country living in a hut.

>That is like saying that Jews who fled Germany,Austria, and occupied Europe for the US to escape Hitler benefited from the Holocaust because they didn't wind up in a concentration camp. African slavery is something that cannot be justified.

European societies, the United States included, are progressive in that they were some of the first to actually outlaw slavery.
The US was one of the later western nations to outlaw slavery. The British and French colonies outlawed slavery before the US did, so did most Latin American countries. By the time the US outlawed slavery, the only other western nations which still allowed slavery were the Spanish empire (who abolished slavery shortly after the US did) and Brazil (which abolished slavery in 1888). Now if Benjamin Franklin's proposal for gradual emancipation had made it into the Constitution (which specified that no one born after its enaction would have been a slave, based on a Pennsylvania law that he wrote) then the US would have truly acted in a progressive way. Unfortunately, Georgia and South Carolina had other ideas.....

Old 01-26-2007, 09:41 PM

17,449 posts, read 23,003,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post
"Reparations"

Definition: Paying someone who wasn't wronged for something you didn't do
There will never be reparations for US slavery, because all former slaves and their children are dead (there may be a few elderly people alive whose parents were slaves during early childhood, but not in any significant number). Furthermore, it would be unfair to those people who didn't own slaves. The ancestors of most white Americans were either not in the US during the Civil War or were recent immigrants at the time. Not to mention that the US would have to pay reparations to Native Americans, and an entire slippery slope would open up (the descendants of Roman slaves, i.e. every living white person and quite a few Middle Easterners and North Africans, suing the governments of Italy and Greece, as successors of the Roman Empire, for reparations? Jews suing Egypt for reparations for when they were held as slaves? )

However, I don't see the harm in an official apology for slavery, nor do I see the harm in corporations which existed during the slavery era and which profited from slavery to make voluntary reparations of some sort (for example,giving to African-American charities, instituting job training programs in deprived mostly A-A areas, helping schools in deprived mostly A-A areas, etc.) These would be appropriate. (Corporate gestures of this sort would be beneficial in creating good will amongst consumers)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies