Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 06:21 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
That about covers it for me--other than the fact of the *timing* of this, and that this guy has been in the house for 25 years.

Acknowledgement would help quite a bit, but obviously some places and people still have a ways to go.
Ya all these PPL that think we owe them something. Be thankful You have what you have and stop dwelling on the past. They want a remorseful sorry OK sorry They can't move on like the rest of us. And I'm sorry they can't learn from the past and reward the future. Sorry they feel Cheated, and i'm sorry they are still here to complain, In the Great United States of America. If what they want an apology for hadn't happend, than they wouldn't be here. Sorry we gave them such a miserable life. I truely hope history don't repeat itself. For I will Never be sorry for their good fortune. And they should never of asked for it. They don't deserve nor really want one. It is just something more for them to wine about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 09:11 PM

603 posts, read 1,995,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
rdbeard5, in all honesty I completely agree. I think you can't just apologize, you can acknowledge the unfair treatment slaves received, acknowledge the contribution slaves had to the building of the nation, acknowledge the slavery issue that helped bring our nation to a civil war, acknowledge that America was one of the leading nations to abolish slavery at a time when it was still practiced and accepted around the world, and acknowledge the hardships facing slaves in a society that didnt treat them as equals. I dont think apologies are necessary. I wont apologize for something someone else did in the past, but I can acknowledge it.
I agree with this statement. My only point is why now? Why do we even have to bring up race, isn't the fact that we're celebrating 400 years of Jamestown and Virginia the celebration of how far we have come as a nation together? I mean SERIOUSLY, why do we constantly have to make everything racial, it is so incredibly frustrating. If we're going to apologize for slavery for the 400th anniversary of Jamestown, why not apologize for displacing the indians, aren't they as equally relevant? We could go on and on, but this is like a broken record in our public discourse and it gets old. This frustration is what leads to the unfortunate comments made by that legislator and it probably should have been said a little more tastefully, but he has a point. STOP ALREADY!!!!

Old 01-19-2007, 06:43 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbeard5 View Post
Here in Virginia there as been a furor over remarks made by a delegate in the Virginia Legislature about the Commonwealth formally apoligizing for slavery this year in celebration of the 400th anniversary of the founding of Jamestown.

What are your thoughts?
Apoligizing? H--- No! Never there is no need.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:28 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,246 times
I'll apologize................for not owning one.

As it stands, I am apologizing by way of affirmative action, as well as other private and government social programs geared toward minorities.

Nobody has sent me a bill, or flat out asked me personally for an apology, but I have still wasted thousands of dollars in my own tax money on this nonsense. Meanwhile I have reaped none of the benefits. We have been "apologizing" repeatedly for almost FOURTY years now, since before I was born. I say if they want an apology, the government should cut all social programs targetted at minorities and save the money. Ten years later send every black person a check for half their share of the money, we'll call it "settlement". Then we can move on.

So yeah, I'm sorry, sorry I never owned a slave. It's WRONG, but at least I would feel better about the apology my own government has extorted from me via tax dollars. As it stands now, I apologize every pay period for something I didn't do.

-TT

Old 01-19-2007, 07:50 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,308 times
Yeah, I'm waiting with baited breath for an apology from Queen Elizabeth over how my Irish ancestors got starved out of my ancestral homeland.

And, I'm so grateful that they were allowed to come here and mop out toilets and carry heavy s--- around so they could eat instead of starving.

HA HA HA

Some people in this country seriously need to get a life.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:50 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin01 View Post
its so easy for people to say we sholud get over it but as a young person who is black it's kind of unfair that people of other nationalities can go back to their country and see where they come from but as a black person we dont know where we come from we just know africa, we dont know what country, what our culture is like, or any of our african traditions entail so for those that say 'get over it' you need to keep your mouth shut.
GET OVER IT! How is that?

Slavery is not exclusive to the black race in history. Neither is persecution, genocide, war, famine, and other tragedies. Slavery was a world wide institution that has been in place since the beginning of time - blacks, whites, asians, etc all have been victims of slavery based on whatever side lost a particular war. It ended finally in the U.S. 150 years ago, at the cost of a civil war. We have been paying and apologizing since. Enough is enough. Get over it.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:58 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Yeah, I'm waiting with baited breath for an apology from Queen Elizabeth over how my Irish ancestors got starved out of my ancestral homeland.

And, I'm so grateful that they were allowed to come here and mop out toilets and carry heavy s--- around so they could eat instead of starving.

HA HA HA

Some people in this country seriously need to get a life.
I am right there with ya, still waiting, but it will never come!!!!! My other half is waiting for an apology for the holocaust, but we know that will never happen as well. Oh well life moves on............

Old 01-19-2007, 12:07 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,308 times
One of the great fears that the real ruling class has is that working white people and working black people in this country will get together and figure out that they're really not too different after all. That would be the beginning of the end for them.

So, they invented this thing called "reparations." They promote this idea through their lavishly paid servants in academia.

If you're white, you're supposed to think, "those BLACKS! they think they're entitled to something!" If you're black, you probably think that the whole idea is full of crap, but you're reluctant to say something that smacks of going against your own people. So...divide and conquer.

If I want to know what the "blacks" think, I'll ask someone who's black, not tune in Fox News.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 21,068 times
Default Don't know my country of origin, either

Would like to point out that African Americans may not be the only ones who don't know their country of origin or family history. I'm assuming I'm part English, Scots-Irish, German, mainly from last names, skin/hair/eye color and the fact that we ate potatoes every night! My grandfather is the furthest back I know of. Does it matter if perhaps there was some Swedish or Greek in my ancestry? I can't imagine why, as the only traditions I know of are American. I would rather consider myself to be American now, versus the cumbersome "European American."

Also, there seems to be a difference in what a Republican can say in public, versus a Democrat. Tom Tancredo was harassed for pointing out that Miami appeared like a third world city. He wasn't trying to insult anyone, just point out an observation. Yet, a Democratic legislator can say that Condoleeza Rice is not qualified for her job because she has never been married or had kids. Can you imagine the uproar if a Republican had said that?

Old 01-19-2007, 12:41 PM

409 posts, read 1,236,946 times
"Reparations"

Definition: Paying someone who wasn't wronged for something you didn't do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies