U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-22-2007, 01:26 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,721,087 times
Reputation: 1285

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Andreabeth claimed that she would not be taken care of for free in another country if she were injured in an auto accident there. I suggested that she might, and gave an example of someone who had. Don't confuse the issue. And stepping on a rusty nail IN THE TROPICS is NOT a minor injury. It could be life threatening.
Please explain the potentially life threatening nature of stepping on a rusty nail in the tropics, other than requiring a tetanus booster.

 
Old 01-22-2007, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Shallow alcove hidden from the telescreen
2,798 posts, read 9,727,862 times
Reputation: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Finding a cure for the flu has nothing to do with the issue of the US taxpayer footing the bill for medical care for illegal aliens.
The point was not so much about finding a cure for the flu, as such. The point was that if we are paying anyway, why not figure out a less expensive way than ER treatement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I doubt that a majority of American citizens would agree with the idea that "they" are not giong to away (so therefore we might as well resign ourselves to endlessly providing services for them). There are a number of steps that can be taken to encourge them to leave. Don't forget, after 9-11 15,000 Pakistanis who were in the country illegally were deported. After that another 150,000 decided to leave on their own.
Some will leave, yes. You gave an example. I'm absolutely on the same page with you. Make it harder, lower the incentive to stay or come in the first place. But all 12 to 20 million won't leave. Surely we can we agree on that. Some may leave, yes, I agree, but not all, and this is what we have to deal with -- the ones who won't, the ones we can't locate. I disagree with your claim about the "majority of Americans." You must substantiate this claim or admit it to being your opinion.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-22-2007 at 02:49 PM..
 
Old 01-22-2007, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Shallow alcove hidden from the telescreen
2,798 posts, read 9,727,862 times
Reputation: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Please explain the potentially life threatening nature of stepping on a rusty nail in the tropics, other than requiring a tetanus booster.
In the tropics, a simple scrape breaking the surface of the skin can quickly become severely infected, much more quickly and severely than in cooler climates. Bacteria levels in warm, moist climates are high, and particularly dangerous to outsiders who have lower immunities to local bacteria and viruses than those who live there. Yes, a tetanus might be all you need, but you need to get it immediately.
 
Old 01-22-2007, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,722,183 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
On health care cost of illegals: There are probably millions of legal Americans that refuse to work and abuse the hospital system. I have a problem picking up their bill through taxes and higher insurance premiums because they are too lazy to get a job and get thier own insurance. I pay less in taxes and insurance now than I would if there were no illegal workers.
In regards to schooling: Anyone who purchases or rents a home in the country is indirectly financing the school system, even if they don't pay a penny to income taxes. The school systems are funded by property taxes, so anyone paying rent is paying for schooling and they have a right to use it.
Yet you can have 4-5 families living in one home. So if those families were to each rent or own homes, then yes they are contributing but the fact is they live all together to save the money. And yes the Americans that wont work and dont contribute should have the same treatment. but the fact is most will work, they just cant afford to pay insurance costs. it is hard for AMerican citizens to abuse the hospital unless you give a stolen SS number. I have always had to give mine, dont pay, kills your credit and they sue you. Illegals give false info ,addresses and so on, no one pays but us.
 
Old 01-22-2007, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,722,183 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
It is so arrogant to think that "we" provide services for them as if it were some altruistic agenda. If you took all of the immigrant workers out of the country you would cut a HUGE chunk out of health care expenses, true. But, you would go to wal-mart or mcdonalds and find that prices were so high you couldn't afford to purchase any of the products you've come to depend on. You are stepping over a dollar to save a penny.
This isnt true, business would just have to cut into the huge profits to keep prices the way they are. But greed is a powerful thing.
 
Old 01-22-2007, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Shallow alcove hidden from the telescreen
2,798 posts, read 9,727,862 times
Reputation: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
And yes the Americans that wont work and dont contribute should have the same treatment [as illegal aliens].
They should be deported?
 
Old 01-22-2007, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,722,183 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
They should be deported?
I didnt say deported, talk about reading into things!!! I mean cut off!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Old 01-22-2007, 01:53 PM
 
743 posts, read 1,153,962 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Yet you can have 4-5 families living in one home. So if those families were to each rent or own homes, then yes they are contributing but the fact is they live all together to save the money. And yes the Americans that wont work and dont contribute should have the same treatment. but the fact is most will work, they just cant afford to pay insurance costs. it is hard for AMerican citizens to abuse the hospital unless you give a stolen SS number. I have always had to give mine, dont pay, kills your credit and they sue you. Illegals give false info ,addresses and so on, no one pays but us.
It really doesn't matter how many live in a house, they are still funding the school system.
Low wages keep it affordable for me to survive above poverty. I am doing my part, I am insured and I pay my taxes. If someone wants to come and work for lower wages to keep things affordable, let them. That will save me from poverty and all I have to do is pick up a small portion of thier medical costs. There are far more benefits to using low wage workers than most people are willing to admit.
 
Old 01-22-2007, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Shallow alcove hidden from the telescreen
2,798 posts, read 9,727,862 times
Reputation: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I didnt say deported, talk about reading into things!!! I mean cut off!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, I got lost somewhere. What do you mean about "cut off"? If they abuse the system, get caught and are illegal, they are promptly shown the door, deported (cut off). Sorry to be dense.
 
Old 01-22-2007, 01:58 PM
 
1,393 posts, read 874,503 times
Reputation: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Forgive me for pointing this out. It's not about paying anyone else's bills. It's about wisely spending money to make life bearable for US in OUR country. You and I are paying anyway. When "they" show up in the ER with the flu, we're paying. So why not figure out a way to cure that flu ahead of time. It would be CHEAPER. Baseline for this discussion, of course, is an agreement that "they" are not going away. We have to pull our heads out of the sand and realize this first.
For most of us Americans hospitals are for much more serious reasons then, colds or flu and they go even for the simplest of reason. Along with our own welfare leeches.
When you decide to have children will it be paid for by the taxpayers or will you assume responsibility for your own child? Most of us wonder how we will pay the bill but, not illegals welcome to America and all your needs are free. Give me a break!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top