U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 09:26 AM

14 posts, read 15,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
With you 100% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh yeah

oh yeah yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
abit strong but to the point, I like it. now some lib,progressive thinking patriot will come along and tell you what a brute you are. you are not alone and i think finally the rest of the country will get off its numb tail and get busy on this.
Never strong enough. It's for people with no pride or brain who like to be invaded. But thankyo. I like ya.

Bring in more like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Indeed. A Mexican patriot. The pictures of Old Glory being burned by illegal aliens, the pictures of hordes of illegal aliens waving Mexican flags while marching in US cities demanding amnesty, and the pictures of the sheer hatred of the United States written on the faces of those attending LaRaza/MEcha style rallies speak far louder than anything you could possibly say.
Great

Thats what he exactly sounds like. great great great
...If anyone had any pride he would absolutely hate to be invaded by completely another culture force.

Thankyo

Last edited by Yac; 01-20-2007 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 01-20-2007, 06:37 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,196,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Sigh…

I can tell you from personal experience of Americans who LIVE in Europe and Latin America and absolutely REFUSE to learn the language of the land. Americans do it, too. Some come into the country and FIRST THING upon clearing customs & immigration look for McDonalds, 7-11, the Hilton and Budget Rent-A-Car. So what? Finding the familiar is what people do no matter WHERE they go or come from.
It was a real eye opener when I went to France. Funny, I got a 92 on the NYS French Regents exam, and I can't speak French to save my life. I was restricted to eating in places where everything on the menu was numbered and I could point to what I wanted. I went into this restaurant and tried to order lasagna, but wound up with fries and this sausage that looked like a cremated donkey you-know-what.

For the first time in my life I was the pain in the ass who couldn't speak the language.

One night, I was so tired of dealing with the language thing that I did something I had sworn not to do. I went to McDonalds!

I had another interesting experience. I was walking to the Effeil..um...Eiflial...um, that tower they have over there, and I was looking for a place to adjust my fluids balance, shall we say. I found this little park that was a monument to something. You know what it was? It was a monument to our guys who parachuted into France to aid the partisans, and got captured and killed by the Gestapo. There were fresh flowers on it. There's a lot of people who say bad things about the French, but I'm not one of them, and I always speak up when I hear that kind of talk. It's a great place, and they're great people. Yeah, we saved their butts in WWII, but they're very proud and they don't feel like kissing up to us.

Everybody ought to go visit. See the Mona Lisa!

Last edited by Dedalus; 01-20-2007 at 07:00 PM..

Old 01-20-2007, 07:13 PM

That was kind of off topic. So, here's something that's not; I like Mexicans.
They do not sit on their rumps, like so many Americans, waiting for something good to fall from the sky. They have a work ethic like you would'nt believe, they are family oriented, and I've seen them move in to places that were total slummy pestholes and turn them into decent working class neighborhoods.

A lot of this stuff I'm reading here seems to be from folks who judge them all by the bad apples. If you look at history, you see that a lot of this stuff was said 100 years ago about my people, the Irish. Yes, we transformed the country, to some extent. Is that a bad thing?

Times change, the country changes, but America is an idea that has and will endure. Rumors of the demise of our country have been greatly exaggerated!

Old 01-20-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I It was impossible during that Amsterdam trip, since Dutch is a very complicated language, of which I had no prior knowledge... but I had a phrase-book & actually tried to ask for directions in Dutch, when I got lost in a less touristy area. But my overall attitude must have been decent, since many locals thought I was either Canadian or British, just because I wasn't rude... it's sad they have that view of us, but I guess we bring it on ourselves.

Ha, ha! When I went there, I thought it would be a nice gesture of respect to at least try to speak Dutch. I memorized this phrase 'do you speak English' in Dutch. I tried it out three or four times and never failed to get a laugh.

I have a terrible ear for languages. I used to do business with this company in San Jose where I was the only Anglo. I tried to learn some Spanish, I memorized this phrase "I am grateful for your business, most esteemed patron" or something like that. The only response I got was, "What?"

Old 01-20-2007, 07:56 PM

483 posts, read 1,752,024 times
I grew up in a heavily French Canadian town. I took French from elementary school through high school. I've been to Montreal twice. Both times, I got very strange (and sometimes hostile) reactions when I spoke French. People were much kinder to my husband, who speaks no French.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:08 PM

354 posts, read 764,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
There's a large number of wealthy mexican tourist, they are called "drug cartels" and these folks are wealthy.
The law of supply and demand works wonders, no? They wouldn't be wealthy if Americans (and Europeans) did not buy their (South American, Middle Eastern, Asian) drugs. If you want to talk about drug trades, let's consider Afghanistan whose Heroin production makes up half of their economy at over 2 billion dollars *. Who do you suspect consumes those drugs? Furthermore, why would Mexican drug cartels, whose primary clientele consists of Americans, want to use the weaker Peso?

Sorry respond off topic, but it's necessary to dispel hasty generalizations. * http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10663339/ (broken link)

Old 01-20-2007, 11:15 PM

2,801 posts, read 9,740,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little My View Post

Great

Thats what he exactly sounds like. great great great
...If anyone had any pride he would absolutely hate to be invaded by completely another culture force.

Thankyo
Referring to a post that claimed I was Mexican and patriotic there instead of here. Let me repeat: I am an American, of European descent. Now let it go.

What's with the implication that American culture -- evolving for hundreds of years -- somehow stops with what Little My (or anyone else) regards as American?

And what's pride got to do with it? Be proud of who you are, that's great! This is America, where you can openly express yourself and be proud of anything you want. But please don't say that I'm lacking in pride -- or patriotism -- just because I have a smidgen of tolerance or see things differently than you do. Gimme a break!

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-21-2007 at 12:37 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-21-2007, 01:17 AM

1,459 posts, read 4,053,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
The law of supply and demand works wonders, no? They wouldn't be wealthy if Americans (and Europeans) did not buy their (South American, Middle Eastern, Asian) drugs. If you want to talk about drug trades, let's consider Afghanistan whose Heroin production makes up half of their economy at over 2 billion dollars *. Who do you suspect consumes those drugs? Furthermore, why would Mexican drug cartels, whose primary clientele consists of Americans, want to use the weaker Peso?

Sorry respond off topic, but it's necessary to dispel hasty generalizations. * http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10663339/ (broken link)

The drug trade in Afghanistan is nothing new, that's been a well known fact for many years. I don't know who all comsumes their heroin, but a good portion enters the U.S. through Mexico...at one time Miami was the hot spot for bringing in the Heroin. I agree, if Americans didn't buy the drug there would be no need for them here. The same could be said for Alcohol, if we didn't have lushes there would be no need for it. But never the less Mexico is one of the richest countries in the world due to drug smuggling.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:03 AM

28,316 posts, read 43,722,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Referring to a post that claimed I was Mexican and patriotic there instead of here. Let me repeat: I am an American, of European descent. Now let it go.

What's with the implication that American culture -- evolving for hundreds of years -- somehow stops with what Little My (or anyone else) regards as American?

And what's pride got to do with it? Be proud of who you are, that's great! This is America, where you can openly express yourself and be proud of anything you want. But please don't say that I'm lacking in pride -- or patriotism -- just because I have a smidgen of tolerance or see things differently than you do. Gimme a break!
I second that!! Being a "patriot" means different things to each person, and who are they (LittleMy & the like) to tell us whether we're patriotic or not?? Here's an example... some people think you're against America if you don't support Bush's war, but I believe I'm MORE patriotic by wanting our soldiers to come home safely - and soon! And in supporting a multicultural U.S., I think that's also being a patriot, since our country was founded on this principle. I also stand for following the Constitution & Bill of Rights, which grant equal rights to everyone... not just those who act and look like myself. Waving a flag, sticking a sticker on your car, and typing in red white & blue, doesn't make you any more of a "true American".

Old 01-21-2007, 11:48 AM

1,275 posts, read 2,130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I second that!! Being a "patriot" means different things to each person, and who are they (LittleMy & the like) to tell us whether we're patriotic or not?? Here's an example... some people think you're against America if you don't support Bush's war, but I believe I'm MORE patriotic by wanting our soldiers to come home safely - and soon! And in supporting a multicultural U.S., I think that's also being a patriot, since our country was founded on this principle. I also stand for following the Constitution & Bill of Rights, which grant equal rights to everyone... not just those who act and look like myself. Waving a flag, sticking a sticker on your car, and typing in red white & blue, doesn't make you any more of a "true American".
I completely agree. People who claim you aren't a patriot can’t even begin to provide intelligent examples of why you are not one. I question everything the government does because it exists with OUR collective consent, including people like the original poster (although more blind consent than informed consent in my opinion). I've been involved in many discussions with so-called "true American patriots" who can only reply that I have no pride and I'm not a patriot. Why, because I dont put flags on my car windows and scream "under god!!" during the pledge of allegiance? Does my framed copies of the Constitution in my den count for anything?

People like littlemy in 1776 would have labeled the founding fathers as unpatriotic treasonous filth that should leave the colonies. Does she even know that there were delegates at the constitution convention who did not sign the constitution? Would she label them as unpatriotic or un-American? Probably so. Would she know that the reason they didn’t sign the constitution was because there was nothing like a bill of rights attached? What does that make them now?

I wont deny that people like littlemy are patriots, they are just a different type than I am, or you, or anyone else who is a patriot and follows their own definition. But the difference is I wont label them as unpatriotic because they don’t have the same beliefs as myself. I just wish they could provide more to the debate so we can actually have a lively debate on the discussion to provide perspective and understanding.

Oh, but I do like her post, they make me laugh. As Saturday night skit once said, “laugher is the best form of medicine, unless you have cancer, use chemo”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies