U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 01:00 AM

21,275 posts, read 33,247,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
^
What did you exactly say in Spanish?...
Especialmente la **** que tiene su numero de jefes en la mano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 03:42 AM

42 posts, read 206,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I am a white man with a white wife and 3 white kids. We hits ome hard times a while back and applied for foodstamps. we were denighed, and told by the case worker if our last name was Martinez and not Mc******, we would of been approved. Well I asked for a supervisor and even hired a lawyer, we got our foodstamps, but I worked real hard to get us off of them..

I was looking for work not too long ago, and I was denighed because I am white, or because I do not speak spanish. they call it reverse discrimination.

Hey Man, I live in Florida and I cant get food stamps either. I'm entited to them but there is no way I'm gonna get them. When I went down they gave me a paper to call and get information from this black woman and she gave me the wrong information, I went to another office and that black woman gave me the wrong information, this made me miss the meeting I was supposed to be at Friday at 9:00 am, I went to the same office and talked to a black woman on line and she told me where the meeting was being held at. I go to the meeting and wait an hour and first thing they say is that if you are over 50 you don't need to be in the meeting, well that being done, a week later and still no food stamps. Everyone that works in the office is either Black or Spanish I haven't seen a white person there. So seeing your answer makes sense to me, I though there could have been racism involved no it makes sense. This is a very sad time we live in, I really need the food stamps. Now I have no freaking good food to eat for christmas. A clear example of reverse discrimination.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:28 PM

85 posts, read 233,539 times
Lol one time when I was in San Diego seeing a ball game a homeless black lady came up to me and called me white *****. I don't hold it against black people at all because many of my friends are black and I am smart enough to recognize that one person's ignorance does not speak for millions of people of the same race.

Old 12-25-2008, 03:46 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,675,160 times
Caucasian male married nearly 40 years to American Indian..we've had MANY 'encounters' over the years. Just about ALL of them we've been able to 'laugh at', and we have lots of family jokes along these lines.(We live in S. Calif)

...When attending a 90% Hispanic wedding, I've been given the 'third degree' by the white hired bartender @ the 'free' bar....as in "are you a guest here?....are you SURE?"...

...One time many years ago, my wife was 'scolding' our 4-year old middle child (quite light-skinned). Little old lady approached her, chastizing my wife, "You shouldn't be bawling out other people's children, my dear !!"...

...When the kiddies were small, with Mom in the supermarket, she'd occasionally be approached by white ladies offering to hire her as THEIR nanny, offering to top her 'present wage', whatever it was. She had to explain she wasn't a nanny, these were HER kids...

...On trips to Mexico, folks are frequently confused to find that I'm the one who understands Spanish better than she does....they often just "assume"...

...Wife occasionally gets asked, "Do you speak English"?...CAN be annoying

...I recall one time we purchased a "spec house" in a new development, as a rental. I introduced myself to the lady next door. The next week she called me to let me know "some Mexicans" were prowling around the place. It was my wife and her sister, measuring for curtains. (that lady went on to become a good friend, believe it or not)...

Thanks to a healthy sense of humor, 98% of these 'incidents' we've been able to laugh at.....I realize this may be "funny" in California, and "scary" in some other places..and I realize not EVERYONE would find it amusing. But we've been able to see the humor in it...

A FEW more painful incidents have happened..but I feel funny discussing these on a forum.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:38 PM

27 posts, read 90,624 times
Racism is definatly alive and kicking here in KY. After the election, all people were saying in the halls at school was that they hoped someone would kill him and wished they would be from here. They also said very nasty things to the black kids in Obama T-shirts, even though the kids were just walking along minding their own business. Its really a shame. The second largest KKK compound in the US is also here.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:38 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,084,216 times
Living in the Chicago area all my life( I'm young btw), I never experience true racism. The only so called racism I experience was actually in Wisconsin at the Wisconsin Dells; btw this was summer 2008. Me, my sister, her husband, and her husband's little brother went to go wait in line to get on the go carts. As soon as we get by this young white couple, the white guy quickly turned around and started staring at us. I think because he thought we was going to start trouble or mugg him since we're black/African American. Other than that event, I haven't experience in your face racism.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:24 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,198,782 times
I have never experienced any racism myself but I do remember my parents talking about a time in Amarillo,TX at a restaurant where they were obviously being discriminated against(dad-Hispanic mom-white) and a couple years ago my cousin and his wife had the same story in a different restaurant (both spanish)and it just happend to be in Amarillo again.

I have heard kids while growing up saying "Oh its only cause im Mexican or they just dont like Mexicans" but most of this was just bs and there was usually a reason, they were just blaming their actions on something else.

I still hear people say stuff about black people but most of it is just jokes cause they are easy to make about them I guess but I dont actually see any racism there.

I lived in this one town Farmington,New Mexico for 2 years and it was the most racist town I have been in, the Mexicans stuck to themselves and Indians did too and the same with the Whites, everyone had thier own cliques and never really interacted with other races unless they had too. I heard racist names directed towards all races from all races. The people just dont really wanna except each others culture here for some reason.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:08 AM

196 posts, read 558,326 times
Judging from prior responses, I can say some of you are either very sensitive to certain things, or are looking for any little thing to label as "racist".

Getting back on topic, I've been through, and witnessed certain situations that some would identify as "racism", but the "racism" I encounter most often is not really "racism" in essence, but more like "inter-race racism" or "ethno-racism". None of these overt displays of discontent really bother me, because none of these people have anything I need, nor do they have any emotional hold over me whatsoever- so why should I be offended?

Old 12-26-2008, 04:04 PM

11,918 posts, read 13,867,567 times
I was called the "n" word in junior high school but I think that the person wanted to see my reaction. But when I was an adult, someone yelled the "n" word because they did not like the way the was driving When I started a new job as a teacher, another teacher referred to me as a "custodian" because there were no other black teachers in the school until that year she did not realize that 2 new ones had been hired. After the OJ verdict for the first trial, someone made a racist remark about me "not knowing what I was doing like the jurors for the OJ trial" when I was helping someone in a store. I have had white individuals come up to me and during the conversation and say something like, " I have a many black friends " when the conversation wasn't about race. I have also experienced or witnessed racism within the race. For example, a black male told me that he would not date anyone that had very dark skin. God bless.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:17 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,675,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
When I started a new job as a teacher, another teacher referred to me as a "custodian" because there were no other black teachers in the school until that year she did not realize that 2 new ones had been hired.
Reminds me of an incident 35 years ago. While staying at a beach-front hotel in Galveston, Texas (our first trip to the South) my wife was carrying a large bundle from car to our room when a white male guest with a strong Southern accent accosted her.."Excuse me, missy....our room's still waitin' to be made up".

It was a little awkward...she finally told him " I hope it gets made up soon", or something of the sort. (She didn't tell ME until that evening...afraid I might lose my temper)....maybe a LITTLE bit scary, in an unfamiliar part of the country. We laugh at it now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or