U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-23-2009, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
3,441 posts, read 4,862,808 times
Reputation: 2205

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
IMO Racism and Discrimination directed at Black People has it's roots in Western Religious teaching. Many Fundamentalist Believe that blacks were cursed by God, So you have to go back futher than Slavery to the roots of these ideas people have about Blacks, The Bible story of "The curse of Cain" is were some of these Ideas come from. Ironically people who were fleeing Religious persecution believed that the bible condoned the persecution of an entire race of people
To elaborate on what you said, people use the so called curse on Hamm to say that blacks are cursed by their skin color. How can that be when blacks were the first people on the planet? The essense of our current man written/elaborated bible is racist at its core that supports white supremacy. For the faint hearted, blacks had already established civilization on this planet while whites were uncivilized in the Caucasus Mountains.

Whites came from blacks genetically. You cannot get a black person from a white and that has been scientifically proven. Blacks built great civilization accross this planet before whites even became advanced. Scientists have already proved that "eve" was a black woman.

The ancient Greeks learn pretty much everything from the black egyptians. Hamm's descents were plentiful in number and spread accross this earth.

Pretty much every race on the planet can trace their roots back to africa, maybe except for the descendants of Shem who resided in the middle east area. So when people hate on blacks, they are hating on themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2009, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Chicago- Lawrence and Kedzie/Maywood
2,242 posts, read 5,436,656 times
Reputation: 735
I've lived amongst people from all countries, continents, and colors.

People from Cambodia to Kenya to China to Palestine to Arabia to India to Romania To Egypt to Mexico to Ireland, etc, etc. And never experience racism directly. I am "Latino" as I am labeled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Winnetka, IL & Rolling Hills, CA
1,273 posts, read 3,847,204 times
Reputation: 586
The southeast is the least racist part of the country. The least racist state as a whole is Utah. The most racist/segregated city is Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Bayou City
2,991 posts, read 4,471,211 times
Reputation: 2496
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
White people get turned down for good jobs and by people they want to date all of the time because there is so much competition for those few choice slots. But white people take it in stride better. Minorities tend to get paranoid that their failure was due to their skin colour.
Because they can afford to in an environment where their kind was never known to have experienced racial discrimination at the hands of those making the choices that affect their lives. Where there is no historical backdrop or precedent looming over you, it is easier to dismiss such failure as a fluke and nothing more sinister.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,318,464 times
Reputation: 9335
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I feel that one of the reasons I've not had many encounters with (negative) racism is the fact that I am well spoken as a person. As soon as I open my mouth, people can tell that I am a thinking intelligent educated person. Even at my new job, my managers have noticed that I communicate well with our guests. I am polite and let the customers know that their satisfaction is important to us. Even if there is a problem, I'm quickly able to diffuse the situation and keep the customer happy. I never give them any bad attitude.

However, I feel that if my English speaking skills were poor, if I spoke with a heavy accent that might make it difficult to be understood universally or if I spoke broken pidgin English, I might have been passed over for hiring at several jobs. But no, I get hired because I communicate well and make a good representative for all the businesses that I've worked for. And that skill has also helped me greatly when selling antiques. Speaking well, helps build that belief that I know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, a person that talks and dresses like an ignorant person is more likely to experience negative prejudices against their culture and race. And when our human population is at an all time high, there is naturally going to be heated competition for the good jobs, the best people to date or getting good service from restaurant or retail store staff. Even white people don't have a perfect track record for success. White people get turned down for good jobs and by people they want to date all of the time because there is so much competition for those few choice slots. But white people take it in stride better. Minorities tend to get paranoid that their failure was due to their skin colour. But it's all a matter of presenting yourself in the best way possible and trying again without bitterness or anger until you succeed. If you are bitter or angry, others can tell and that will give them a reason to avoid you.
I'm sorry but with all due respect, this is kind of a silly post. I'm sure you're all the things you claim but I could honestly say the same about myself. I had to be in my profession, communicating with doctors 12 hours a day. However, being an educated, articulate person does guarantee one freedom from racist acts. If they're determined to dole it out, they're going to do it, no matter how well intended you are. The ignorance is the blame of the racist. This is a blaming the victim sort of mentality--although I never considered myself a victim b'c I dealt with it immediately in a positive manner. That they didn't respond favorably says more about them than it does me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I feel that one of the reasons I've not had many encounters with (negative) racism
Oh yeah, and I was trying to think of an example of positive racism.

Last edited by Whyte Byrd; 02-23-2009 at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 03:16 PM
 
44,600 posts, read 43,135,258 times
Reputation: 14398
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
The southeast is the least racist part of the country. The least racist state as a whole is Utah. The most racist/segregated city is Chicago.
I live in the Southeast and I believe differently on that.I don't think the South is any less racist. Yes, Chicago has some issues regarding segregation. All this considered, living in the South as an African-American and comparing my experience to living in the Pacific Northwest makes me question what you said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,318,464 times
Reputation: 9335
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
The southeast is the least racist part of the country. The least racist state as a whole is Utah. The most racist/segregated city is Chicago.
I haven't witnessed or encountered any in the part of Washington where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 03:28 PM
 
Location: The Queen City
1,087 posts, read 2,342,378 times
Reputation: 662
Just go to the IMMIGRATION forum in City-Data. It is racism heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 03:43 PM
 
8,287 posts, read 11,480,451 times
Reputation: 4938
ugh this topic has been done to death. Racism is basically a code word for ignorance and stereotypes. Not every black man is a criminal, not every Asian person is brilliant at Math, not every hispanic loves telenovelas and not every German is a Nazi or every Jew a Zionist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 03:44 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,619,457 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Just go to the IMMIGRATION forum in City-Data. It is racism heaven.
It SHOULD be....75% of ALL commentary on EITHER side of the immigration debate is of a 'racial' nature....and that goes for BOTH sides.

Why do you think 'illegal immigration' has its own forum....yet drunk driving, corporate fraud, tax evasion, and child molestation do NOT?...

Racism and ethnic solidarity on BOTH sides...that's why. A pity, too, because illegal immigration is a serious matter....but 'racism' has turned it into a circus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top