Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 09:08 PM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,039,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
The reluctance is not natural when you're dealing with race. Again, it's all learned. Kids in kindergarten don't self-segregate like they do in high school. Do kids all of a sudden become more prone to some hitherto latent evolutionary need to preserve their own race by the age of 14? Absolutely not. They learn this behavior through a corrupting exposure to parents, friends and other relatives as they grow older.
What is wrong with loving who you are and wanting to grow up to be like the previous generations in your family? What's wrong with wanting to eventually have babies that look like the rest of your family? I think that it's good to have pride in ones family background or nationality.

And what is the appeal in having future generations being all the same light brown skin color with black or brown hair? What does racial equality to you have to translate into all the races mixing into one? And it seems a lot more important to black men that they have equal access to dating women of other races. It should be enough for all races to peacefully coexist next to each other, why do we have to blend our genes also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 PM

194 posts, read 329,133 times
We trust what we understand best. That is those who look, dress, and talk like the family that raised us.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:03 PM

3,017 posts, read 5,195,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
I'm not really convinced this is the case. Kids become a lot more self-aware as they progress through middle school. Indeed, that's what makes middle school so awkward: everyone is trying to forge their own identities, yet at the same time garner acceptance and praise from their peers in a way that they never really sought before. Cliques form that never existed before that age. Kids sitting at lunch tables tend to look at act alike and gradually become more and more different. Then you have the goths and the like strike out to try to forge their identity in response to the identity of others.

I think it's only natural that humans begin splitting by race. They do it by appearance. They do it by socioeconomic class. They do it by social styles. They do it by athleticism.

None of this is really planned. It just happens. Humans are very visual creatures. It comes as no surprise to me whatsoever that they begin segregating by race at the time they do.
Segregation never "just happens", and there's nothing natural about it. It is conditioned. During the formative years of the adolescent identity, young people become most impressionable to the in-group/out-group dynamics at play in their immediate environment. They observe their parents' circle of friends, those of their extended family and peers, and become conditioned over a period of time to accept racial homogeneity as the norm, which is often consistent with a given cultural identity.

Indeed, cliques are formed on the basis of cultural identity, not so much race. It just so happens that the young person is brought up believing that cultural identity is necessarily derived from race, thus making race in the young person's mind the most salient indicator of the likelihood that a group comprised of members who mostly look like him will accept him. And to the impressionable young mind not given to critical analysis, it will always be easier to "just go along with the pack" than to choose friends carefully and reflectively.

A phenomenon that appears to be ubiquitous isn't necessarily naturally-occurring.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I would also as when those Duke lacrosse players everyone threw under the bus for sexually assaulting the black stripper can expect their apologies from the black leaders who screamed they were guilty? It's been what 4 years and still nothing from that oh so vocal group that was so fast to go on CNN and say they are spoiled rich white kids but where were they when it came out they were innocent? Yet another double standard.
Ha! Those cats got it easy. Try being a black man accused of raping a white woman in this country. Yeah they'll be thrown under the bus alright, with ropes attached.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What is wrong with loving who you are and wanting to grow up to be like the previous generations in your family? What's wrong with wanting to eventually have babies that look like the rest of your family? I think that it's good to have pride in ones family background or nationality.
I'm having a hard time understanding how having pride in your background and loving yourself necessarily entails the desire to keep your race "pure". Classic segregationist talk right there.

Quote:
And what is the appeal in having future generations being all the same light brown skin color with black or brown hair? What does racial equality to you have to translate into all the races mixing into one? And it seems a lot more important to black men that they have equal access to dating women of other races. It should be enough for all races to peacefully coexist next to each other, why do we have to blend our genes also?
More segregationist talk. But it's okay for the white man to spread his genes around freely right?

I'm not here to promote one lifestyle over any other, but I will say that the races will never have a hope in hell to "peacefully coexist" if they keep buying into this "self-preservation at all costs" crap that's being fed to them. There's no purpose in it, other than to preserve strife among the races. It's not like we can control the direction of our progeny anyhow. If they want to marry out, then they will. No control over that.

We're all one in death. And just as powerless.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:30 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,596,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Segregation never "just happens", and there's nothing natural about it. It is conditioned. During the formative years of the adolescent identity, young people become most impressionable to the in-group/out-group dynamics at play in their immediate environment. They observe their parents' circle of friends, those of their extended family and peers, and become conditioned over a period of time to accept racial homogeneity as the norm, which is often consistent with a given cultural identity.

Indeed, cliques are formed on the basis of cultural identity, not so much race. It just so happens that the young person is brought up believing that cultural identity is necessarily derived from race, thus making race in the young person's mind the most salient indicator of the likelihood that a group comprised of members who mostly look like him will accept him. And to the impressionable young mind not given to critical analysis, it will always be easier to "just go along with the pack" than to choose friends carefully and reflectively.

A phenomenon that appears to be ubiquitous isn't necessarily naturally-occurring.

Get out and breathe some fresh air, it's good for you!

Old 03-02-2009, 10:33 PM

194 posts, read 329,133 times
Pick a country where racism isn't an issue. Difficult isn't it?

Old 03-02-2009, 10:55 PM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,039,716 times
MrSykes - You come across as a very bitter black person and I pity you. Plenty of nationalities and races are proud of their roots, it's not just white people, but Asians and Native Americans too. Why don't you have more pride in your black roots and want to maintain them? Are you ashamed of your race? And it's not segregationist to want to continue their traditions. And no one told me while I was growing up to only make Chinese babies or what races or nationalities I could date. And on my own, I am pleased to say that I don't choose the men I date purely on their physical looks. I pick my men based on their inner beauty, their smarts and education, and having life goals and morals that are compatible with mine.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:30 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,874,309 times
Quote:

Well said. There is nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

Interesting that no black person here has admitted to the intense hatred of whites and Jews that so many in the black community feel. We won't think less of you for admitting the truth. On the contrary.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
MrSykes - You come across as a very bitter black person and I pity you. Plenty of nationalities and races are proud of their roots, it's not just white people, but Asians and Native Americans too. Why don't you have more pride in your black roots and want to maintain them? Are you ashamed of your race? And it's not segregationist to want to continue their traditions. And no one told me while I was growing up to only make Chinese babies or what races or nationalities I could date. And on my own, I am pleased to say that I don't choose the men I date purely on their physical looks. I pick my men based on their inner beauty, their smarts and education, and having life goals and morals that are compatible with mine.
The pity's mutual, trust me. Something tells me you've been wronged by blacks in the past and still have plenty of unresolved issues seeing blacks in anything other than a negative light. I'd suggest professional help. Seriously.

And nice try on the pride issue. What does "racial pride" have to do with who I choose to date/marry? It's good that you were never told who to date growing up (extremely rare in the Asian community), but if racial pride is so admirable to you, why are your dating criteria so decidedly non-racial? A bit hypocritical if you ask me. You sound no different than a stereotypical old-time anti-miscegenationist, and I would probably take you more seriously if you at least admitted as much instead of hiding behind your weak veil of pseudo-liberal humanist ideology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies