U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2007, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Northeast
1,298 posts, read 2,370,276 times
Reputation: 618

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
I'm a bi-product of a "multiracial" marriage (though, technically, its a multiethnic relationship) and as such I have seen firsthand racism and prejudice against both groups.

For example, many outsiders don't identify the relationship between my mother (or her relatives) and I because we have visibly different skin tones. I can't even count the number of times, from dining out to seeking family discounts at amusement parks, that people have been hesitant to acknowledge interracial families and relationships.

I attended school and worked in a community with a high Hispanic population for many years. Countless Hispanics presumptuously addressed me in Spanish and countless non-Hispanics negatively assumed that I only spoke Spanish. While I am not a native Spanish speaker but am highly conversational, I have occasionally refused to respond in Spanish because I maintain that such asinine presumptions are offensive.

Though it seems minute in comparison, my household receives endless amounts of Spanish-focused advertisements because of our surname. What's that all about about?

Sorry Amavel, thats not asanine. They're playing the law of averages.

You went to school, and worked in an area with a high population of spanish speaking hispanics. What is so hard to believe about people thinking you spoke spanish when you have similar physical attributes?

Do you honestly expect everyone in the world to run down a list of 20 questions before addressing you? SERIOUSLY, some things are safe to assume. How come every time I meet somebody new these days I feel like I have to perform a research study on them before opening my mouth?

As for the Spanish advertisements....DUH!
I don't write my congressman every time something shows up in the mail from something to do with my Irish last name.

lol, you must be a riot at parties.
"How come you're asking ME if I want a drink? Are you trying to say I should be thirsty from swimming across the river? How come you're telling ME where the bathroom is? Is that because I should have just eaten 6 burritos before the party?" lmao.

LIGHTEN UP!

-TT

Last edited by YapCity; 01-19-2007 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2007, 03:07 PM
 
504 posts, read 1,622,034 times
Reputation: 330
I have a daughter that is English, French, Cherokee and African American, she looks Spanish and jokes when she wears bright clothes that she looks Mexican, she is beautiful and when I look at her I look at the future of America. She is what in another generation or two we will all look like. I have never heard her complain about racism, just harassment from ignorant people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2007, 03:13 PM
 
Location: The Bronx
1,587 posts, read 1,193,555 times
Reputation: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
For example, many outsiders don't identify the relationship between my mother (or her relatives) and I because we have visibly different skin tones. I can't even count the number of times, from dining out to seeking family discounts at amusement parks, that people have been hesitant to acknowledge interracial families and relationships.
Sometimes, it's just that people feel awkward and don't know what to say. This is largely the fault of those people in this country who've made a profession of being offended, and those who humor them.

Back in the '70's I used to be able to talk to my black friends about race. What happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2007, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Burlington, VT
483 posts, read 1,750,742 times
Reputation: 241
I'm Black, ny husband is White. So far, we've been lucky. Our only experiences have been bad service at a restaurant and being shouted at from a car.

The worst racism I experienced was wheb I went away to college. I was the only Black student in my class, and one of a few on campus, that wasn't from the 'hood. Nobody knew what to make of me. My "Black card" has been revoked more times than I can count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2007, 01:08 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,285 posts, read 43,657,264 times
Reputation: 18826
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
I have quite a number of friends, co-workers, and relatives who at one time or other were victims of racism by blacks or latinos, and in several cases it was violent assaults.
And of all the blacks and latinos I know, not a single one has ever been violently assaulted by a white. Worst thing that might have happened was name-calling. One black guy got some vandalism once.
Racism against whites is no joke, happens every day, and I'm afraid doesn't get the coverage it should.
Not to say it doesn't happen, but give me a break on saying it's worse than other racism... have you ever been a black, latino, or anything besides white/Aryan? If not, you probably have NO clue as to the racism they experience every day. My "brother" is a black gay man, and you wouldn't believe the stories he could tell. Like one that I mentioned on another thread, where he constantly gets the "Wow, he's so articulate & smart, considering he's black"... the guy has a degree from Yale University, for goodness sakes! So yeah, white people might occasionally be discriminated against, but it's still nothing compared to what others go through on a daily basis.

If you don't believe me, check out the FBI statistics on Hate Crime:

Racial Bias

Among the single-bias hate crime incidents in 2005, there were 4,895 victims of racially motivated hate crime.

* 67.9 percent were victims of an anti-black bias.
* 19.9 percent were victims of an anti-white bias.
* 5.3 percent were victims of a bias against a group of individuals in which more than one race was represented (anti-multiple races, group).
* 4.9 percent were victims of an anti-Asian/Pacific Islander bias.
* 2.0 percent were victims of an anti-American Indian/Alaskan Native bias.
(Based on Table 1.)

Religious Bias

Of the 1,405 victims of an anti-religion hate crime:

* 69.5 percent were victims of an anti-Jewish bias.
* 10.7 percent were victims of an anti-Islamic bias.
* 7.5 percent were victims of a bias against other unspecified religions (anti-other religion).
* 4.3 percent were victims of an anti-Catholic bias.
* 4.1 percent were victims of an anti-Protestant bias.
* 3.3 percent were victims of a bias against groups of individuals of varying religions (anti-multiple religions, group).
* 0.4 percent were victims of an anti-Atheist/Agnostic bias.
(Based on Table 1.)

Sexual-Orientation Bias

In 2005, of the 1,213 victims targeted due to a sexual-orientation bias:

* 61.3 percent were victims of an anti-male homosexual bias.
* 19.2 percent were victims of an anti-homosexual bias.
* 15.3 percent were victims of an anti-female homosexual bias.
* 2.3 percent were victims of an anti-bisexual bias.
* 1.9 percent were victims of an anti-heterosexual bias.

Ethnicity/National Origin Bias

Hate crimes motivated by the offender’s bias toward a particular ethnicity/national origin were directed at 1,228 victims. Of these victims:

* 58.8 percent were targeted because of an anti-Hispanic bias.
* 41.2 percent were victimized because of a bias against other ethnicities/national origins.
(http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2005/victims.htm (broken link))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2007, 01:34 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,285 posts, read 43,657,264 times
Reputation: 18826
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
I have never been discriminated against because of my race. I have been discriminated against because of my job, my religion, my regional origin, who I chose to date, and even because of the origin of my car.

I think people are, sometimes, too quick to blame their treatment on racism (as defined at www.m-w.com) (broken link), when there are other issues or causes. TheLastMove's anecdotal story is a testament to that type of mentality.
I have to agree with that... in my opinion, it's often someone's attitude that gets them in trouble. I constantly hear people on this board talk about hispanic on white racism, which is something I've never experienced. And I'm a white woman in a town that's 68% latino & 23% black!! Maybe it's because I don't give them nasty looks, act better than them, or generally throw an attitude. I'm friendly to everyone I pass, even if it's just a little smile, and I've only had positive treatment from locals of any color. My white neighbor recently got into a fight with a black man in town (not over race but rather a wallet), and he's had other problems with them since moving here... but you know what?? My neighbor is a total racist, who constantly talks badly about non-whites, and gives them suspicious looks every time they cross paths. So it's no wonder he gets harrassed! Anyway, my point is that it's sometimes a person's attitude that gets them into trouble, not the color of their skin - and that can apply to people of all backgrounds.

Regarding affirmative action, unless they told you an application was rejected because of your race, that's just speculation... I was accepted to every college I applied to, for both undergrad & grad schools, and was offered a number of scholarships (which I turned down). And they would have no idea I was Jewish, since my last name doesn't give it away, so I'm just in the "white" category... not that it would matter, since Jews aren't included as a minority. But my skin color didn't hold me back, maybe because I had good grades & SAT scores, extracurricular activities, and so forth?? I'm actually not a big supporter of affirmative action, before anyone tries to debate me on the issue... but I'd never blame it for a rejection, unless they told me this was the reason. I won't deny it gives minorities an edge on getting in, but we have to remember they weren't even allowed to apply (to many schools) 50 years ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2007, 01:48 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,285 posts, read 43,657,264 times
Reputation: 18826
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Sorry Amavel, thats not asanine. They're playing the law of averages.

You went to school, and worked in an area with a high population of spanish speaking hispanics. What is so hard to believe about people thinking you spoke spanish when you have similar physical attributes?

Do you honestly expect everyone in the world to run down a list of 20 questions before addressing you? SERIOUSLY, some things are safe to assume. How come every time I meet somebody new these days I feel like I have to perform a research study on them before opening my mouth?

As for the Spanish advertisements....DUH!
I don't write my congressman every time something shows up in the mail from something to do with my Irish last name.

lol, you must be a riot at parties.
"How come you're asking ME if I want a drink? Are you trying to say I should be thirsty from swimming across the river? How come you're telling ME where the bathroom is? Is that because I should have just eaten 6 burritos before the party?" lmao.

LIGHTEN UP!

-TT
My ex-boyfriend is 1/2 Mexican and 1/2 Native-American (Tlingit), and he gets this ALL the time... if we encountered a group of Hispanics, they'd always speak Spanish to him, when ironically I'm the one who speaks it! He was born and raised in the U.S., and barely knows a single word in Spanish, whereas I'm almost fluent. He also has a Spanish last name, since his father was the Mexican one, so I wouldn't be surprised if he receives ads targeting this group. But we just got a laugh out of this stuff, and never called it "racism"... stereotyping, maybe, but it was never done in malice or hate. But on the other hand, he has been called names by people who don't like Mexicans (usually whites) - and even Tongan/Samoan slurs, since he's often mistaken for one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2007, 09:50 AM
 
19 posts, read 91,951 times
Reputation: 20
I'm white blue eyed and my last name is italian but it sounds hispanic to a lot of people. I get a lot of calls from spanish telemarketers. It's even harder to get them to shut up than the english speaking ones because they don't understand a word of what I'm saying.

I think it's disturbing how thin the line has gotten in most people's minds between racism and prejudice. These people who are sure I'm hispanic before they know me are prejudice, but they don't have anything against me and other than their attempts to sell me junk there's nothing for me to be offended about.

I think racism is real in this country, but it's taken too seriously. Is racism really a bigger problem than sexism and classism? Why do people trust black leaders more than female leaders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2007, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,189 posts, read 24,516,772 times
Reputation: 3826
While we may take racism, that is act out our racist feelings too far, it is more serious than classism. It is after the fact, not on first meeting, that people may be treated poorly because of their class.

And although sexism still remains a serious problem, women and men alike, have been able to overcome many--if not all, disparities in the professions.

To be another colour, even mildly less than pink, often creates severe obstacles for people.

And, I'm not certain that "people" in general trust black leaders more than female leaders. Here we have some prejudices: man is superior; woman is emotional, hence, some people may prefer to deal with a man, any man, than with any woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarroc View Post
I think racism is real in this country, but it's taken too seriously. Is racism really a bigger problem than sexism and classism? Why do people trust black leaders more than female leaders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2007, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Southern California native, last 20 yrs in Milwaukee Wisc.
1,146 posts, read 3,328,495 times
Reputation: 1523
Default I knew someone would do this...

You ignored the main point of my post. Racism by minorities against whites tends to be more violent stuff than what whites "do" to minorities. You went to the trouble of posting all those hate crime statistics, but remember... a "hate crime" can be anything from a verbal slur to a murder. In the grand scheme of things a dirty look or a racial slur is not a big deal (at least for us mature adults). Assault or murder IS a big deal.
Since you like all these FBI stats, why don't you post interracial crime stats for assault, rape, and murder. These crimes, often racially motivated, are committed by minorities against whites at about 10 times the rate that whites commit those crimes against minorities. Also read the research report "The Color of Crime" by Jared Taylor.
So, to respond to the first sentence of your post.. yes, racism with violence IS worse than other racism. Or do you think a racial slur is just as bad as murder or assault???? Good grief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not to say it doesn't happen, but give me a break on saying it's worse than other racism... have you ever been a black, latino, or anything besides white/Aryan? If not, you probably have NO clue as to the racism they experience every day. My "brother" is a black gay man, and you wouldn't believe the stories he could tell. Like one that I mentioned on another thread, where he constantly gets the "Wow, he's so articulate & smart, considering he's black"... the guy has a degree from Yale University, for goodness sakes! So yeah, white people might occasionally be discriminated against, but it's still nothing compared to what others go through on a daily basis.

If you don't believe me, check out the FBI statistics on Hate Crime:

Racial Bias

Among the single-bias hate crime incidents in 2005, there were 4,895 victims of racially motivated hate crime.

* 67.9 percent were victims of an anti-black bias.
* 19.9 percent were victims of an anti-white bias.
* 5.3 percent were victims of a bias against a group of individuals in which more than one race was represented (anti-multiple races, group).
* 4.9 percent were victims of an anti-Asian/Pacific Islander bias.
* 2.0 percent were victims of an anti-American Indian/Alaskan Native bias.
(Based on Table 1.)

Religious Bias

Of the 1,405 victims of an anti-religion hate crime:

* 69.5 percent were victims of an anti-Jewish bias.
* 10.7 percent were victims of an anti-Islamic bias.
* 7.5 percent were victims of a bias against other unspecified religions (anti-other religion).
* 4.3 percent were victims of an anti-Catholic bias.
* 4.1 percent were victims of an anti-Protestant bias.
* 3.3 percent were victims of a bias against groups of individuals of varying religions (anti-multiple religions, group).
* 0.4 percent were victims of an anti-Atheist/Agnostic bias.
(Based on Table 1.)

Sexual-Orientation Bias

In 2005, of the 1,213 victims targeted due to a sexual-orientation bias:

* 61.3 percent were victims of an anti-male homosexual bias.
* 19.2 percent were victims of an anti-homosexual bias.
* 15.3 percent were victims of an anti-female homosexual bias.
* 2.3 percent were victims of an anti-bisexual bias.
* 1.9 percent were victims of an anti-heterosexual bias.

Ethnicity/National Origin Bias

Hate crimes motivated by the offender’s bias toward a particular ethnicity/national origin were directed at 1,228 victims. Of these victims:

* 58.8 percent were targeted because of an anti-Hispanic bias.
* 41.2 percent were victimized because of a bias against other ethnicities/national origins.
(http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2005/victims.htm (broken link))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top