U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 01:09 AM

2,408 posts, read 13,160,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Green View Post
I have honestly experienced more racism reading posts throughout these threads than I have in my entire twenty-something year old life and I consider myself nationwide.
Ditto. It's equally infuriating and disheartening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 09:53 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,481,783 times
Ditto and ignorance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Green View Post
I have honestly experienced more racism reading posts throughout these threads than I have in my entire twenty-something year old life and I consider myself nationwide.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:12 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,367,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Wow, I think I just experienced racism. I feel like the above post just splattered and some of the stickiness got on me. Yuck!!

Some people are psychic...they can tell how people are going to act from seeing their color. It's amazing! Most of us have to know more about a person than his/her skin color to have any idea who that person is...how do you do it???
So you're saying that you really believe that there is no "black culture"? Sure, everyone is different, blah blah blah, but you have to admit that different races have a dominant culture. I think what RWF is saying it that he doesn't like the "black culture". I personally don't like it. I don't like it when suburban WHITE kids are actiing that way either. In recent years society has decided to call that behavior "urban". That's a crock. You don't see many people acting that way on the upper east side of Manhattan. They're "urban" too, but you don't see them talking with marbles in their mouth.

That mushmouth language along with the oversized clothes and cheesy jewelry came from blacks, and it's perpetuated by blacks. I've also heard it called "hip hop" culture. More BS. Hip hop is music, and I use the term loosely. The costumes and language were there first. Using the term "hip hop" was a marketing gimmick so they could market to the bank accounts of suburban white kids.

Don't get me wrong, I don't judge people based on their color. I judge them on their behavior. It's not my fault that the behavior that dominates the young black community is the one I just described.

-TT

Old 02-04-2007, 07:51 AM

699 posts, read 2,304,179 times
But you are stereotyping when you generalize that "black people act a certain way". You may see certain styles on t.v. or see a group of high school kids doing a certain thing, but you have to be smart enough to understand that there's another 80% out there not doing those things. Stereotyping just isn't intelligent...intelligence is knowing that you can't identify a race of people by a certain trait that you don't care for and pin it on everyone of that race. That's just wrong.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:04 AM

25 posts, read 102,134 times
The worst experience I had is just shout from passing cars by teenagers. I think they are just ignorant and that's it.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:21 AM

566 posts, read 1,840,304 times
Gizmo, I hear ya!! I had a gal once tell me "how can you be friend with so & so when he's Jewish", afterall they don't believe in God. I was like "huh!??! Who taught you that? of course they believe in God". Anyway, humanity has not evolved enough...I don't think God will be visiting anytime soon. WE are not ready.
Talking about Mel Gibson, I know what you mean. It's like all his movies are one sided. Nobody it seems wants to admit or see the other sides of anything. It's like we have pennies sent from heaven w/only a head side & everyone falls for it - the one they want to see; and terrible that Hollywood has become gospel. Seems nobody is taking the time to fill in the gaps. Now he did that movie on the spanish (my ancestors) on the atrocities of the spanish in the America's. Yes, I admit they did terrible things as none of us can deny that. Wasn't right, but mentalities were different in past eras throughout history. Lot of others were into what was "in" for the time in different periods. Is humanity still going to harp on old issues that are outdated and have no place in this day & age? Even with Spielberg's (of all people) movie Amistad a few yrs back - where were one of my ancestors whom happened to be English in all of this?? It's all so ridiculous, especially having our children taken out of class to see these movies as a history lesson - unknowingly, we are only breeding more narrow minded people and then we question why.
You know cause I happen to speak spanish too, I think I've heard it all. Like, "go back", been served tacos, had someone stick chiquita banana stickers on my work desk (she thought it was really a cute gesture) when the bananas where hers to begin with - and all this right here in the U.S. There is so much I can tell you, that even Nostradumus' books couldn't even fill. Truly surreal...
To me the sad part is not on a personal level at all, as I'm way past getting hurt - let alone angry. However, the emotion I do feel is sadness. Yes, they are hurting others but without even realizing it in the process they are hurting themselves more. It doesn't stop w/that ignorant remark we happen to hear right at that moment when we are there. It's like a disease that spreads to other groups that are not clones of themselves. Eventually they become blind & empty human beings. It's like blobs of meat jumping around with no brain or soul; and that is truly sad.

Last edited by lulu; 02-05-2007 at 09:30 AM..

Old 02-05-2007, 09:35 AM

There is a Southpark episode titled "The Passion of the Jew"...it's all about Mel Gibson and his movie, and Kyle's (the Jewish one) experience with it. It's hilarious and, like many of their episodes, has alot underlying truth to it while being comically offensive and sarcastic on the surface.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:41 AM

3,042 posts, read 7,946,461 times
as a black male growing up in the deep South and Texas, I had experience very little. It was more subtle growing up in the 70s, probably because I lived in integrated middle class suburbs and for the most part people were educated and polite. It was mostly when it came to High School, the girls werent allowed or felt the peer pressure not to date me and so I was excluded from the dating scene of my peers.

when I went to University in New England and graduate school in New York, I felt more outward forms of racism than i did in the south, with the N word being used esp since I am usually the only black person at social events. I have never experienced any overt forms of discrimination, just ignorant people asking the most ignorant things and also the working class behavior of some groups.

As an adult, i have experienced some, mostly in big cities of Boston, Philadelphia and New York where white females will look away if they walk past on the street or act as if they can not sit next me at a cafe or bookstore or offensive questions being asked.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:09 AM

566 posts, read 1,840,304 times
Hmmm...I'd like to see it.
You know coming to think of it, I think I'm giving up on my favorite Seinfeld shows, the comedy channel, etc. Maybe, even give up the extra expense of cable services, cause there is so much laughter out there to be found and to think all for free!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:29 AM

You can find that episode for free on YouTube.com along with a zillion other shows and clips. Just do a search for it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or